Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: RN12 R1 engine is it worth it?
Gergely

posted on 9/10/06 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
RN12 R1 engine is it worth it?

Hi, as I plan to build an R1 engined MK Indy, I am thinking which R1 engines to look at. There are a few in Europe on eBay (I live in Hungary), but I would like to know whether it is worth the extra money to go for the newer versions like the RN12 - 2004 to 2006 if I am not mistaken. I am not too worried about the injection, many of you have done it, more if there are any further disadvantages - other than the extra power... :-)

Secondly and more importantly, do you think it is safe to buy an engine over ebay? If the ad says 9.000 kms, no problems, runs nice, injection and wiring harness included, blah, blah... would you take the risk? Or how can you make sure you buy a good engine when it is removed from the bike already...

Thanks for any advice!

Gergely

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DIY Si

posted on 9/10/06 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
If it comes with the clocks, then I'd go se it first. If not, depends upon price/how brave you feel, as there's no way of checking it. Although a new(ish) engine can only have so many miles on it.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

chockymonster

posted on 9/10/06 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
The 2004-2006 engine is the 5VY.
Personally I wouldn't buy a cheap engine from ebay. I paid more for a complete running engine from a reliable supplier. I'm not sure what your options are in hungary though.

PLEASE NOTE - Responses on Forum Threads may contain Sarcasm and may not be suitable for the hard of Thinking.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ChrisGamlin

posted on 9/10/06 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
Do MK do an engine cradle / exhaust manifold for the 04-06 engine? If not its not the end of the world, but it will be a bit more expensive having to get custom ones fabricated.

The later engine also has a closer ratio gearbox with a higher first gear, so worth checking the gearing with the diff you intend to use.

Chris

Chippy

posted on 9/10/06 at 10:57 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Gergely, I would have thought you would be safer going through somebody that the forum could say was an honest trader. There is a guy on the forum that does late engines, plus some (very) low mileage units, may be worth doing search, can't remember who it is , but sure somebody will soon say who. Regards Ray
chockymonster

posted on 10/10/06 at 01:03 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chippy
Hi Gergely, I would have thought you would be safer going through somebody that the forum could say was an honest trader. There is a guy on the forum that does late engines, plus some (very) low mileage units, may be worth doing search, can't remember who it is , but sure somebody will soon say who. Regards Ray

Malc at Yorkshire Engines
My 2003 R1 has 3,000 miles on the clock

PLEASE NOTE - Responses on Forum Threads may contain Sarcasm and may not be suitable for the hard of Thinking.

Gergely

posted on 10/10/06 at 07:47 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys. I think when the time comes I will get in touch with Yorkshire engines then. Unfortunately still a bit of saving required first... But I will make sure I know what engine I want exactly when I order the chassis and engine cradle.

Cheers!

StevieB

posted on 10/10/06 at 07:55 AM Reply With Quote
I'll second Yorkshire Engines!

Malc's just put an R1 engine aside for me at a very agreeable price - top man to deal with

Coose

posted on 10/10/06 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by StevieB
I'll second Yorkshire Engines!

Malc's just put an R1 engine aside for me at a very agreeable price - top man to deal with

Woo hoo! SVA next week then?

Spin 'er off Well...

Martin van der Wal

posted on 10/10/06 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
I have a 2004 R1 engine for sale , it is mounted in an MNR Vortx right now, take it out because change to car engine for next season ( CEC Class)
Engine is complete with wiring , cycle lock, instrument , exhaust , uprated clutch springs , sump baffle plate.
Also for sale Quaife reverse box and drive shafts ( front and rear).
If anybody is interested send a mail to:
martin.wal@wxs.nl
I live in The Netherlands

chockymonster

posted on 10/10/06 at 09:33 AM Reply With Quote
Martin,

how are you managing the swap to a car engine?
The surely the tunnel will be too narrow?

Martin van der Wal

posted on 10/10/06 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
A zetec engine , with a type 9 box , should fit, if not I'll widen the front of the tunnel , we have done that already with another MNR Vortx , where we did put a Duratec engine , with MT75 box in.
Winston Todge

posted on 10/10/06 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
Certainly sounds like you enjoy building VortXs Martin!

I've actually got a small picture of your car along with a few others, stuck up next to my desk at work!

The full roll caged black one with the 04 R1 in it does look great!

Chris.

Winston Todge

posted on 10/10/06 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
P.S. I'll third, fourth and fifths Malc too!

Has been very helpful along the way.

Chris.

Martin van der Wal

posted on 10/10/06 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Winston Todge
Certainly sounds like you enjoy building VortXs
I like racing the black car even more , next Sunday I have the season ending race at the Nürburgring , due to the nature of the tracks in Europe , long straigts and fast turns , I'll probably change to a car engine.
The other Vortx #14 is intended for road use mainly , we hope to have it SVA'd before the end of this year.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.