Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MOT Issues
Jubal

posted on 13/10/06 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
MOT Issues

Here's a one. My car was first regged in Oct 2004. I bought in this time last year and the seller MOT'd it the week before I bought it. I needed the MOT and SORN details to tax it at his post office so i could drive it home.

Today I get the V11 through and it is offering to let me tax it online AND at the bottom it says "this vehicle requires an appropriate MOT test certificate from 05 10 2007".

I read this to mean that I don't need to MOT it this year but it contradicts what others have said about you needing to MOT it every year once you get into the system. I shall try and tax it online next week and let you know how I get on.

Humbug

posted on 13/10/06 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
That is an interesting one! It should let you tax it online sans MOT of the form is correct. If not, then go down to the Post Office and do it over the counter.

I had no MOT pre/post SVA, but my first tax renewal form said "appropriate MOT cert.". I showed the bloke at the PO the V5C proving first reg a year ago and he just crossed out the MOT wording, took my dosh and gave me the tax disc!

russbost

posted on 13/10/06 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
This is exactly the problem I had. My understanding of it was that the only Mot you ducked was the first one because you had SVA, & that subsequently you had to Mot each year (unless built from new parts & on a new reg), loads of people on here said this was not the case & I queried it with Post Office & was told defo needed Mot after 1 year.
It seems to be differently interpreted in different areas around the country.

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
ruskino80

posted on 13/10/06 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
i had to sva then mot on the same day-boring!!!!!
Jubal

posted on 15/10/06 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
And the good news is I just taxed the car online successfully. Sorted.

So in summary it looks like even if your car is MOT'd before it is due then you don't get "into the system".

dozracing

posted on 16/10/06 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
I asked the question at the DVLA office about 6 months ago.

I was told it was supposed to work thus.

q plate - MOT every year from registration
age related - MOT every year from registration
New plate - no MOT for first three years, then yearly.

Darren

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Marcus

posted on 16/10/06 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
Don't you just love consistency .
Regardless of DVLA, (and what some say), I don't know anyone who's been asked for MOT for the first 3 years regardless of age related or 'Q' when taxing their kit.
Mine will be 3 next year, so I'm expecting to have to get it tested for next summer.

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jubal

posted on 24/10/06 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
Just to close this off. Tax disc arrived no problem. Sorted.
flak monkey

posted on 24/10/06 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
When I asked the local station they said q plate needed one every year, age related and new plates only needed the first mot 3 years after registration.

Who knows, best to ask your local dvla as they all have different rules.

Glad you have got it sorted anyway

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.