Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Which Engine
Thomas H

posted on 17/10/06 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
Which Engine

I have just ordered my new car from GBS (robin hood) today i have gone for there new Hood chassis, now i have to choose what engine to go for, i thing the pinto is a bit old so thinking about Zetec or Duratech or any other sujestion or information would be helpfull i don't think the weight is to critical as the engine sits a long way back in the chassis

Thomas

graememk

posted on 17/10/06 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
zetec 1.8, tried and tested.

caber

posted on 17/10/06 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
Caveat Emptor!

Caber

StevieB

posted on 17/10/06 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
Duratec would be the best option as far as performance goes, but they aint cheap!

Zetec can be tuned reasonably cheaply, is reliable and cheap to buy in the first place. There's also a boat load of them out there as they've been the mainstay engine for Fords for quite some time now - everything from Fiesta to Mondeo has been fitted with them.

Jon Ison

posted on 17/10/06 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
Red top VX.

smart51

posted on 17/10/06 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
Zetecs bolt up to type 9 or MT75 RWD gearboxes. Duratec engines need a special bell housing to fit to a type 9.

1.8 zetecs are easier to fit but I'd suggest making the effort to fit a 2.0. You may as well.

Wadders

posted on 17/10/06 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
Big Block Chevy?

Originally posted by Thomas i don't think the weight is to critical as the engine sits a long way back in the chassis

alister667

posted on 17/10/06 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
Having been stuffed by a Vauxhall Red Top engined locost at the weekend, I'd second Jon's idea.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
02GF74

posted on 18/10/06 at 07:29 AM Reply With Quote
if you don't want ot mess about with CATs then go for a '95 or earlier zetec; otherwise I would recommend ya the durrtec even though it will be more expensive to buy and requires gearbox adapter, it is an alloy engine which is a good thing.
scotmac

posted on 18/10/06 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
Duratec is obviously a better option, in terms of power to weight. Get the 2.0, not the 2.3.

In terms of expense, i think it is really a question of what direction you go.

The bell-housing can be sourced for 250gbp. I know of a good ECU that can be sourced new for 500gbp, but the obvious LOCOST option is megasquirt.II for about 100gbp. Bike throttle bodies are about 100gbp on ebay.

chriscook

posted on 18/10/06 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
3rd the Vauxhall XE!
MikeRJ

posted on 18/10/06 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by alister667
Having been stuffed by a Vauxhall Red Top engined locost at the weekend, I'd second Jon's idea.

A CEC faster than your BEC? Don't tell Hellfire

CairB

posted on 18/10/06 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scotmac
... Get the 2.0, not the 2.3.

Why not the 2.3?

alister667

posted on 20/10/06 at 06:01 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:
Originally posted by alister667

A CEC faster than your BEC? Don't tell Hellfire

Aye well to be fair that CEC has reciepts for £17,000 on his locost. I'd say the majority of that went on his engine! He is a very good driver mind you.... Alot of it comes down to how much money you can spend. Less than 1k on the engine? A BEC is unbeatable!
We reckon the VX engine is pushing out maybe 260bhp.

http://members.lycos.co.uk/alister667/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
martyn_16v

posted on 23/10/06 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
The bell-housing can be sourced for 250gbp.

In this months PPC in the 'Top Gear' bit it says Rally Design do duratec bellhousings now for £130 (I think, I do remember thinking that's damn cheap, less than I just paid for a redtop bellhousing)

david walker

posted on 24/10/06 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
I'm sorry but if you bought a Robin Hood.....

One of the best 4 cylinder engines of the lot at the present time is the Duratec. HOWEVER, you don't just get one out of the family saloon and go racing, they need money spending on them to hold together. Rods and pistons as a minimum, cams to make power and so on.

I was at Croft on Saturday - in readiness for the Rallycross the day after - and on the Saturday track day I saw what was probably the fastest Se7en I've seen. Balls out racer, no expense spared 2.3 Cosworth Duratec in a proper Se7en (that of course being a Caterham). On big fat slicks owner said it made 310bhp and it looked as though it did! Nothing wrong with a 2.3 there then. Oh, and it made the 'Busa powered Westfield look a bit pedestrian, or at least I thought it did!

Taking the Locost approach you'd do a Duratech for £8k installed, a 250 horse XE for £6k installed or a nice 180 horse Zetec for £2k installed - if you did it yourself. The Duratec and XE will blow you ex scrappie T9 to bits! Looking at other engines, and probably the best power for your pound has to be the 2 litre Honda V-Tech (they differ in different models) but in the S2000 don't they do 240 standard? Going rate for a secondhand lump is about £2500 to £3000. Last forever, beat nearly everything you put it up against and bog standard.

The point I'm trying to make is that the cost of a gearbox adapter or the use of some home electronics Mega thingy is neither here nor there in the scale of things. If you want power, your'e going to have to pay for it and don't forget the car is a complete package and the more power you make the more the rest of it will cost.

And before you have a go about the RH, I know all about Dave Andrews' and the V12 Works car they built to race about 15 years ago (my mate raced the bloody awful thing).

Finally those of you who haven't yet driven a Se7en, be assured that 150 horsepower at the wheels is fast! Most of those that claim big numbers are liars. I know someone who bought a ready built Blade engined MK and after one short session was too terrified to drive it - and it had an engine smaller than an old mini!

Build a car that you can improve upon. You are obviously a skinflint otherwise you wouldn't be on here so the Duratec thing is all talk. Fit the Zetec (I've given up arguing for Pintos as most are too young to remember how good they really are).

I'm off now before you all start battering me

Dave Walker, Race Engine Services - 07957 454659 or 01636 671277

scotmac

posted on 27/10/06 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CairB
quote:
... Get the 2.0, not the 2.3.

Why not the 2.3?

The 2.3 is the same size bore as the 2.0, just overstroked. The 2.0 is basically square, and revs higher. ie, you can get the same hp out of the 2.0.

Note, the stock 2.0 internals will allow up to around ~200 hp, which is enough for most people.

Hadn't seen the 130gbp rally design bellhousing...anyone got a link?

scotmac

posted on 27/10/06 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
I just looked up the numbers, and i was a bit off:

2.0: 87.5 x 83.1
2.3: 87.5 x 94.0

So, neither is square, but i would much prefer the over-square of the 2.0, instead of the under-square of the 2.3.

[Edited on 27/10/06 by scotmac]

D Beddows

posted on 27/10/06 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
Someone got out of bed the wrong side this morning
scotmac

posted on 28/10/06 at 12:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by martyn_16v
quote:
The bell-housing can be sourced for 250gbp.

In this months PPC in the 'Top Gear' bit it says Rally Design do duratec bellhousings now for £130 (I think, I do remember thinking that's damn cheap, less than I just paid for a redtop bellhousing)

Just check rally des web site, and the only bellhousings they list are for a rs2000 and astra. Maybe the duratec ones are too new.

iank

posted on 28/10/06 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
Probably too new, there is a picture in this months PPC (new product section) claiming to be the cheap duratec bellhousing
Volvorsport

posted on 28/10/06 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
i think youre all missing the NA 2.5 5 cyl volvo 170 bhp std , plenty of torque - its about 2 inch longer than a normal 4 cyl , all alloy engine .

adapter plates to cheap BMW328 gearboxes which are plenty strong enough are £130 .

i could have you up and running for less than a grand .

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

locost_bryan

posted on 2/11/06 at 03:14 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
The 2.3 is the same size bore as the 2.0, just overstroked. The 2.0 is basically square, and revs higher. ie, you can get the same hp out of the 2.0.

The 2.3 in my Mazda6 wagon runs to the 7000rpm redline no worries - 165 ponies out of the box isn't too shabby

Bryan Miller
Auckland NZ

Bruce McLaren - "Where's my F1 car?"
John Cooper - "In that rack of tubes, son"

bricheun

posted on 2/11/06 at 03:40 PM Reply With Quote
Why don't people think of th Honda engines?? i.e the D16s from the CRX, or even the B16s..1600 lightweight and more than 100bhp/litre? Can be made to run carbs with a small rpm switch.

I know a guy who put it in a mini and it flies...he put the engine in the back :-)

iank

posted on 2/11/06 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
Don't work in a transverse RWD as they spin the wrong way (except the S2000).
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.