Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tool kits
pbs

posted on 22/10/06 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
Tool kits

Need to replace most of my tools, spanners, socket set etc, which are wearing out. I want to go for a good quality brand name with a life time guarantee like Snap-on, Teng tools but Iam not sure if it would be more cost effective to buy a kit or individual items.

Has anyone got any recommendations?

Build your own sports car for £250 my ar5e!!

Jon Ison

posted on 22/10/06 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
Haulfrauds Pro range is very good with lifetime guarantee, never had too take anything back personally but I know a couple who have and things where exchanged immediately no questions asked.

RazMan

posted on 22/10/06 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
Second shout for Halfrauds - one of the few thing they sell which are value for money.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
marcjagman

posted on 22/10/06 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
If you ask ha;fords for a trade card you get a good discount on a lot of stuff, take your license and a bill for proof of I.D. You don't need to be trade to get a trade card. Halfords tools are made by Teng which is why they are so good. I got a 2 foot strong bar for £8.50 should be £15 so good discount. There hacksaws are crap though.
big_wasa

posted on 22/10/06 at 09:55 AM Reply With Quote
My money would be on the Teng 1001 piece set for around £1600 I love snap-on but you will not get a lot for the above budget imho...

Teng linky thing

mistergrumpy

posted on 22/10/06 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
Halfords are good, I'll go fourth on that, though talking about the lifetime guarantee. Doesn't cover mechanical parts or tools which have been mis used. Which they define as any rust and go on to list items which really makes it worthless. I managed to strip the threads on a ratchet, using it in the normal ratchet manner on one hell of a tight bolt and got told to fork off. But despite this, you won't get better for your money and I stick by them.

StevieB

posted on 22/10/06 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
I bought a set of Halford tools - got them on sale from £199 to £99. Figured it was a decent enough set and sale price was good for the amount of tolls - turned out to be excellent quality as well.

There's also some good deals on Sealey sets at the moment that come in various roller cabinets. Depends on your budget, but for £600, you get a decent tool set and roller cabinet/top box with a big saving.

[Edited on 22/10/06 by StevieB]

pbs

posted on 22/10/06 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
Thought about Halfords stuff as I have bought the odd spanner from them and they do look good quality.

Didnt know they were made by Teng tools though.

Build your own sports car for £250 my ar5e!!

Danozeman

posted on 22/10/06 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
Il 5th halfords. I have snap on at work and halfords at home. Iv broke some snap ons before the halfords let go.

The black plastic coated ratchets they do are shite though and as said ask for a trade card. The discounts are very good.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

MikeRJ

posted on 22/10/06 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mistergrumpyI managed to strip the threads on a ratchet, using it in the normal ratchet manner on one hell of a tight bolt and got told to fork off.

You should not use rachets to tighten or loosen very tight fasteners. That's why breaker bars where invented.

Mark Allanson

posted on 22/10/06 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
Beware the snap on guarantee, it is only for the lifetime of the tool, so if you broke it it was ay the end of its life, so p!ss off

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Mansfield

posted on 22/10/06 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
I bought this about 6 years ago and it has been fantastic.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_173083_langId_-1_CarSelectorCatalogId__CarSelectorGr oupId__varient__categoryId_33931_crumb_33958-33943_parentcategoryrn_33931

I bought it in a sale at £119, if you get it for the £99.99 you wont regret it. Dont lose the thin piece of foam that stops the sockets falling out though (unless they have improved the box - which I doubt).

RazMan

posted on 22/10/06 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
Talking of the Halfords tools, has anyone tried their ratchet ring spanners? The chrome ones and not the pressed steel things.

They look really good but I just havent plucked up the courage to buy a set.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DEAN C.

posted on 22/10/06 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
Halfords ratchet spanners are made by Gearwrench,the same company that made my Signet set that I piad £145 for.

I've seen a few other companies sell Gearwrench rathet spanners with brand names on,so its worth looking around.
I bought a flexi head ratchet spanner set from Halfords as well and it said Gearwrench on the packet,special offer when I got them £39.99

I have about £5000 in Snap on alone and yes its as good as you can buy,but I dont think i'd buy it all again.
I have quite a lot of Signet and Facom stuff thats very good,and a bit of Halfords thats very good and excellent value.
A lot of Britool stuff can be picked up at the right money if you keep your eyes open for sales.

Anything Bergen on the car boots or Autojumbles is very good, strong and nice looking as well.Their chrome sockets and impact sockets are almost unbreakable and about one fifth of Snap ons average price.

[Edited on 22/10/06 by DEAN C.]

Once I've finished a project why do I start another?

mistergrumpy

posted on 22/10/06 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

You should not use rachets to tighten or loosen very tight fasteners. That's why breaker bars where invented.

Was on one of the trailing arms on the rear subframe of one of my cars so there wasn't space for a breaker bar, plus I didn't have one, or a working car to buy one. Have two now, very handy. One from Halfords as well

greggors84

posted on 22/10/06 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
The first time I asked in store about the Halfords lifetime guarantee they told me it was for the life of the tool which was 3 years! Every other store told me take it in whenever it breaks. I know some ask for a reciept and some don't. Basically if something breaks and your nearest store won't take it back, try another one! There are enough around, you just need to find some part timer who doesnt really care!

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

StevieB

posted on 22/10/06 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
I take the view that if a tool breaks, it's because I've abused it and it's my own fault.

I'm pretty pi$$ed at the moment because I rescued a set of needle nose pliers from my Grandad's garage after he died and my Nan did the inevitable chucking everything away. They were from WWII, given to my Grandad by his older borther who was a Navy engineer.

I've just snapped them

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.