Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Type 9 Variations
mccsp

posted on 22/10/06 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
Type 9 Variations

Can anyone provide a comprehensive guide to the type 9's that have been produced.

I also need a different output shaft. The one I have does not fit between the upright tunnel bars. It has a sort of 3 leafed clover shape without the stalk, and three holes.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

flak monkey

posted on 22/10/06 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
Take the rubber donut off the output shaft of the gearbox, you dont need it, then it will fit.

There were only 2 type nine gearboxes made, they were both 5 speed. The only difference was the input shaft length. The ones fitted to most sierras had the std input shaft, i think the one used in the transit had a long input shaft.

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

gazza285

posted on 22/10/06 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
Type 9 boxes dont have an output shaft with a flange as the prop has a splined section that slides into the box. Are you sure it's not an MT75 box, which does have a three pronged output flange.

Try the Burton Power website as that carries some info on various Ford boxes.

Simple test. Is the box all alloy casings or does it have a cast iron main body with a seperate bellhousing?

[Edited on 22/10/06 by gazza285]

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
gary gsx

posted on 22/10/06 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
My type 9 box had the dohnut on it came out of an f reg sierra just nock it out and i think i used a capri joint to go in it
NS Dev

posted on 23/10/06 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey
Take the rubber donut off the output shaft of the gearbox, you dont need it, then it will fit.

There were only 2 type nine gearboxes made, they were both 5 speed. The only difference was the input shaft length. The ones fitted to most sierras had the std input shaft, i think the one used in the transit had a long input shaft.

David

Not quite true, this is what I know, but there will be more as well:

1 - short input shaft, std bearings, std selector forks, type 9 box from 4 cyl 5 spd sierra etc

2- long input shaft, heavy duty bearings (see bosses for layshaft bearings, and notch in bellhousing to clear) also has different ratios but can't remember what they are, fitted to 2wd V6 5spd manual sierras (i.e. rare 2.3 ghia manual) and granadas before 1990, and also capri 2.8i.

3 - long input shaft, std bearings, heavy duty selector forks - fitted to 2.3 diesel sierra

4 - 4wd variant, fitted to pre 1989 sierra XR4x4, with different tailhousing for stepoff box, plus long input shaft and HD bearing setup.

[Edited on 23/10/06 by NS Dev]

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.