Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OT what shower with a combi boiler
ned

posted on 26/10/06 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
OT what shower with a combi boiler

Ripped a lot of my bathroom out and final decision before i put a big order in with screwfix is what to do about a shower.

I had (and still have) a triton poverty spec electric shower (struggles to keep warm and scales up too quickly) I gather that you can't put a power shower in with a combi boiler and that the pressure from the combi should be adequate or i could fit a better/higher spec electric shower. But as I have no experience of these setups wondered if anyone in the know or with relevant experience could advise?

cheers all

Ned.

ps boiler is not changed yet (job for the spring now) but planning a worcester 24i junior or similar if that makes a difference..

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr G

posted on 26/10/06 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
The equivalent of locostbuilders for diy is www.diynot.com

The forum is frequented by pro's and has tons of info.

I'm sure it's already been asked over there and loads of info given

Hope that helps....stinky.....

Normal is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work and driving through traffic in a
car that you are still paying for - in order to get to the job you need to pay for the clothes
and the car, and the house you leave vacant all day so you can afford to live in it.

ned

posted on 26/10/06 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
think i stumbled across that earlier when googling but didn't find an exact answer though I'm sure I just wasn't looking hard enough

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr G

posted on 26/10/06 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
Example

Loads more to ferret out the info from.

I've got an old combi myself and a very old manual mixer shower setup. Hav'nt got 'fantastic' pressure but the system works fine.

I've purchased a thermostatically controlled mixer from lidl (£14.99) as an upgrade but have heard stories that the thermostat can have problems if your pressure's ar'nt too good or very unbalanced.

I'd do the flow rate tests as advised in the above link first to see how healthy your current combi is.

Cheers

G

EDIT: Is your electric shower fed from the Mains or Cold water tank if you have one?

[Edited on 26/10/06 by Mr G]

Normal is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work and driving through traffic in a
car that you are still paying for - in order to get to the job you need to pay for the clothes
and the car, and the house you leave vacant all day so you can afford to live in it.

rash

posted on 26/10/06 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
shower

hi ned i fitted a trevi ctv with my combi its a mixer so no electric supply needed has plenty of power and is nicely finished off in chrome its also anti-scald if someone else decides to run the cold water.
Wadders

posted on 26/10/06 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
You just need a thermostatic mixer.
stevec

posted on 26/10/06 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
I have used one from screwfix. Ceramic disk type mixer. Loads of power and reliable.
Beats the hell out of any electric shower ive been in.

mark chandler

posted on 27/10/06 at 12:16 AM Reply With Quote
Ah but it all depends on the combi boiler and if you keep an immersion tank.

I have a 120,000 BTU boiler and that can flow mains pressure water at a heat that you cannot touch, I had a flat with a 50,000 btu combi and you had to slow the water or it was not heated enough.

Make sure you boiler is big and you will be okay.

Regards Mark

JoelP

posted on 27/10/06 at 07:30 AM Reply With Quote
my boiler is 28kw and, when the central heating is on, the hot water at full flow dips slightly below the ideal temperature. You may find that 24kw suffers more.

I didnt realise you cant use a pump with a combi boiler, is this so?

chockymonster

posted on 27/10/06 at 07:42 AM Reply With Quote
I use Thermostatic mixer. It controls pressure and temp variations which is great when the wife turns the cold tap on downstairs. It's the only safe, comfortable way to do it.

PLEASE NOTE - Responses on Forum Threads may contain Sarcasm and may not be suitable for the hard of Thinking.

nick205

posted on 27/10/06 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
As above Ned - thermostatic mixer tap connected directly to hot and cold feeds. Worcester Bosch combi boiler, don't know the BTU, but I can stand in the shower all day with piping hot water. I had a similar set-up in my last house and IMHO don't see the point of a standard boiler and hot water storage tank system any more.
ned

posted on 27/10/06 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr G
Example
I'd do the flow rate tests as advised in the above link first to see how healthy your current combi is.

not got a combi yetso can't do this..
quote:

EDIT: Is your electric shower fed from the Mains or Cold water tank if you have one?

the electric shower was fed direct from mains cold water.

Thanks for all the responses guys, I think I might need a thermostatically controlled mixer based on all you responses, cheers

Ned.

Mr G

posted on 27/10/06 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
Here's pics of the Lidl one I picked up for £14.99

And here's near enough an identical unit from screwfix - Pegler Mimo

No wonder there were plumbers vans outside and a mad rush to get them as there seems to be a slight difference in price

ned

posted on 27/10/06 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
gutted, how long ago was that offer on

Mr G

posted on 27/10/06 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
Bought in January. Missed out the time before that (July 05)

Snatched it up as I knew that when I start the bathroom there's bound to be no offers on.

So it's due to be about again soon.

Did'nt notice your ps message on your first post concerning your boiler..doh

Cheers

G

Jasper

posted on 27/10/06 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
Got something simialr from my lo0cal bathroom place, very cheap and been fine.

I fitted at least one or two specs up from what I needed in my house - the price difference was negligable - to make sure I plenty of power for rads and showers.

Go into your local Plumb City, the one down here is great (father-in-law is an explumber so introduced me), usually one or two plumbers in the place to advise as well. Tell em size of house, number of rads, showers etc, and they should tell you what you need.... well they did with me, good price too if you can get a trade discount.

[Edited on 27/10/06 by Jasper]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.