Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Dick Bear's McBearen/Mclaren imitation
Dick Bear

posted on 26/11/06 at 12:03 AM Reply With Quote
Painting of the McBearen?

Sorry to disappoint anyone but I feel that if I failed to complete the McBearen by not painting it in the traditional McLaren orange I'd be lacking.

Besides, as careful as I've tried to be in making each panel weld, there are some areas (seams) that would present a great problem if I were to attempt to polish the body.

Perhaps my next project won't have any tradition to follow and my abilities will be better making a polished surface more appropriate although the sun/glare involved in polishing aluminum presents other problems for the driver?!

I'd hate to be limited to cloudy day drives....

Dick Bear

[Edited on 26/11/06 by Dick Bear]

www.marketpointproductions.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
locost_bryan

posted on 15/12/06 at 03:19 AM Reply With Quote
What did Bruce build the original bodies from? Not alloy, judging by the way Denis the Bear demolished his and still kept driving

But then McBearen's an excellent replica, not a reproduction.

Personally I'd want a V8 and period style wheels. Dang, I'll just have to build my own! An M8D, and yes it HAS to be the right colour (just like a "real" Ferrari has to be).

Now, if I can build to half the standard of Mr Bear I'd be happy.

Bryan Miller
Auckland NZ

Bruce McLaren - "Where's my F1 car?"
John Cooper - "In that rack of tubes, son"

Dick Bear

posted on 15/12/06 at 07:15 AM Reply With Quote
Bryan,

Your question about the body shell made me think... That's new!

To date I'd always thought the bodies were made of Aluminun but I wanted to make sure before I gave you a response that was in error. As I said I thought everything was alum. primarily because his primary sposor was Reynolds Aluminum.

Well, here's what I from the McLaren Trust site in your fair land www.bruce-mclaren.com/main.htm....

- tub was all aluminum except for theengine bulhead (steel)
- One of the first to run an all aluminum engine,
- body shell..... 4-piece (including 2-doors) Glass!

Darn, I guess I'll have to start over!

I look forward to watching your progress on your own McLaren!

Dick Bear

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Alan B

posted on 15/12/06 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by madman280
.......... Anyone can do fiberglass.....

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.......

I know Dick's work and skills are excellent, I have the utmost respect, but come on......give us GRP guys some credit, if not just for sheer hours involved...

mcerd1

posted on 15/12/06 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheGecko
The vibe on the MetalMeet forum is very different to here and, say, LocostUSA. On MetalMeet people building cars from scratch are in the minority, I'd say. Here, they're the whole community

Well, apart from me (and a few others) who are just here to get (or steal ) ideas and advice for there kits (or not so locost in my case - I've just added up again )

Since finding this forum (and ppc mag's it has to be said) I've changed my engine plans a fair bit (form stock ford EFI to bike carbs and Megajolt) and I haven't even started to fit the bodywork (I bought mine as I don't have the skill or patience to make it from ally or GRP)

Dick,
how who fancy coming over to fit my ally panels

-Robert

Dick Bear

posted on 15/12/06 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
Hey guys,

I truly hope no one concludes from any state I may have made that I feel one process (metal shaping or glass) takes more or less talent than the other. As I mentioned earlier, my only experience with glass nearly burned down my fathers' home so that should tell you how much I respect those who are successful in producing what I've seen being done by Steve Graber, Alan and too many others to mention individually.

Robert... I've only been fortunate enough to visit England once in my life. Had a great time there about 8-years ago when my second son took me there as a 'payback' for helping him with his college expenses. I'd love to return but find it ironic that anyone would suggest that I do so to shape metal since I've alwys thought that your island is the land where the craft was (is) most developed. I'm not a master of the trade by any means.

Heck.... I'd just love to return for a visit... having a business reason would make it that much better. I could deduct the costs!

Dick Bear

mcerd1

posted on 17/12/06 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dick Bear
Robert... I've only been fortunate enough to visit England once in my life. Had a great time there about 8-years ago when my second son took me there as a 'payback' for helping him with his college expenses. I'd love to return but ...

Unfortunatly I was only joking (sorry) I just need to get my finger out - my panels shouldn't need more than a quick trim and bend

Anyway, forget England - Scotland is much better

Alan B

posted on 17/12/06 at 11:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1

......Anyway, forget England - Scotland is much better

You gotta love that Scottish sense of humour....

locost_bryan

posted on 20/12/06 at 02:15 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
I look forward to watching your progress on your own McLaren!

Got to finish the Locost first - actually, got to start it - need to learn to weld for a start!

Bryan Miller
Auckland NZ

Dick Bear

posted on 14/1/07 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
Well I finally found some time and a reduction in hand and wrist pain to allow me to do some work on the McBearen.

Completed one of the two headlight lamp back hats.

My painting delema has been solved. A friend of a friend who is quite active in restoration and sales of 70's type muscle cars here in the states has offored to take the task on gratis. That was (is) a big issue off my list of issues to get the project completed. The two bids I had previously received were, to say the least, out of question for my budget at this time.

Dick Bear Rescued attachment IMG_#3.jpg
Rescued attachment IMG_#3.jpg

kb58

posted on 14/1/07 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
I found that any part on the car, where two assemblies are required, was sometimes not much fun. The first one is fun to do, because it's new and different. That's fine, unless it's a PITA to make. After all the struggling to get it right, you realize you have to make another one. The theory is that the second one should be easy, since the first can be used as a template, but unless the car is exactly symetric, it still has to be made as its own assembly.

In my case, getting the doors to fit right was the worst part of the entire build.

Mid-engine Locost - http://www.midlana.com
And the book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/midlana/paperback/product-21330662.html
Kimini - a tube-frame, carbon shell, Honda Prelude VTEC mid-engine Mini: http://www.kimini.com
And its book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/kimini-how-to-design-and-build-a-mid-engine-sports-car-from-scratch/paperback/product-4858803.html

gttman

posted on 14/1/07 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
For me the light pods seem so far in the future its not funny.
After many many hours I've just finished the design of the rear of my car.... and I now have to make the other side the same.

Andygtt

Please redefine your limits

locost_bryan

posted on 22/1/07 at 02:30 AM Reply With Quote
For you McLaren fans out there, a $140m movie of his life was announced at the A1GP race over the weekend.

To be produced by LoTR producer Barry Osbourne, filming is due to begin early next year.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/3935352a11.html

[Edited on 22-1-07 by locost_bryan]

Bryan Miller
Auckland NZ

kb58

posted on 22/1/07 at 02:36 PM Reply With Quote
Anyone but Cruise...

Mid-engine Locost - http://www.midlana.com
And the book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/midlana/paperback/product-21330662.html
Kimini - a tube-frame, carbon shell, Honda Prelude VTEC mid-engine Mini: http://www.kimini.com
And its book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/kimini-how-to-design-and-build-a-mid-engine-sports-car-from-scratch/paperback/product-4858803.html

Browser

posted on 26/1/07 at 08:19 AM Reply With Quote
Concur, anyone but Mr Cruise. I like him as an actor but not for this job
What that means is, however, we might actually get to see some Can-Am cars on the big screen, now that's gotta be worth it
My life will become one more step towards complete the day I get to see a 917/30 in Sunoco colours being given death either live at a track or on the big screen

Dick Bear

posted on 29/4/07 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
the paint booth

Bringing you up-to-date on the McBearen build.

Finished pre and painting yesterday of all the body panels. Will assemble and detail next week.

You can read and view the full build journal at:

http://metalmeet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3618&page=55

if your interested.

Dick Bear Rescued attachment IMG_#2.jpg
Rescued attachment IMG_#2.jpg

Doug68

posted on 30/4/07 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
A lovely shade of yellow. Corvette yellow perhaps?
I read in a motorcycle magazine a long time ago if you want to get featured in a magazine paint it yellow, photographers love yellow.

violentblue

posted on 30/4/07 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Doug68
A lovely shade of yellow. Corvette yellow perhaps?

Mclaren orange I believe

a few pics of my other projects

chrisf

posted on 30/4/07 at 11:27 PM Reply With Quote
That paint is a damn shame--not because of its color or its application, but rather because the coachwork was painted at all.

Just my opinion.

--Chris

violentblue

posted on 2/5/07 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
Polished aluminum would be cool, but could it really be any other color than McLaren Orange, the color just suits it.
it is a newstalgia piece after all.

a few pics of my other projects

Dick Bear

posted on 4/5/07 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
Recent McBearen Photos

Hey Guys,

Almost completed...... the McBearen project is coming to and end.

Here is a link to the most recent group of photos:

http://metalmeet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3618&page=56

Dick Bear

Dick Bear

posted on 4/5/07 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
one photo

Check the link in the previous post for more photos.

Dick Bear Rescued attachment IMG_1034.jpg
Rescued attachment IMG_1034.jpg

Browser

posted on 5/5/07 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
That looks the absolute dogs danglies Mr Bear, we are definitely not worthy!

Now, for your next project, hows about a full-scale McLaren M20 replica, complete with Reynolds-blocked motor?

Dick Bear

posted on 5/5/07 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
Almost finished!

Attached the graphics package to the McBearen.

http://metalmeet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3618&page=57

Only have upholstry and NC DMV to deal eith before I make driving/handling tests.

Dick Bear Rescued attachment IMG_1081.jpg
Rescued attachment IMG_1081.jpg

akumabito

posted on 5/5/07 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
Absolutely amazing..

How long did the project take, start to completion?

<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.