Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Wear your bloody goggles
James

posted on 4/11/06 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
Wear your bloody goggles

Last night was having a tidy up of the garage (nice excuse not to get anything done in there. ).

My Dad had left a jam jar of brush restorer with a brush in it. Decided to see how the brush was doing.... short story is I sprayed a load of it in my face and eyes.

It hurt like hell, both my eyes and face, I ran into the house (not so easy with your eyes closed and a cat tray and drying washing in the way yelled for my Dad, stripped my top off and got my head under the kitchen tap.
Get Dad to read the tin of stuff to see whats in it. Turns out to be horrible nasty stuff and I need to seek medical attention.
(oh, and to wear eye protection when using)

So after 20minutes with my face/eyes under the tap Dad drives me to A&E to join the drunks and the beaten-up.

I have to say they were really good at the Royal Surrey and bumped me to the top of the queue and a very pretty nurse spent ages (at the end of her shift!) checking my eyes out and making sure they were ok.
Having read the tin contents she said I was very lucky that I appear to have got away with no damage.
I think it was spending so much time washing my eyes/face that made the difference!

SO MORAL IS: When it says use eye protection on the tin... bloody do it.
A Friday night in A&E is a lot less fun than Friday night in the pub!

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

JackNco

posted on 4/11/06 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
Glad to hear it turned out ok. lesson learned i guess

John

Some people are worried about the difference between right and wrong. I'm worried about the difference between wrong and fun.
O'Rourke, P.J. (1989), Holidays in hell. London (Picador)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
BusaLoco

posted on 4/11/06 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
Wear your goggles!

Thanks for the reminder.
I nearly lost one of my eyes (about 20 years ago) the same way. ... In my case just lazy, habbit driven behaviour and a feeling that we are all immortal.
Glad to hear your eyes are ok!

Ivan

posted on 4/11/06 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
I learnt that lesson some time back - now keep at least three pairs of goggles and safety gloves lying around the workshop as I can never remember where I put the last pair down that I wore and might be tempted to leave them off if it took to long to find them.

Obviously with three pairs lying around it is much easier to find one.

Peteff

posted on 4/11/06 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
I have a few pairs in the shed and a pair in the house. I used thinners to clean my brushes but nowadays I buy cheap brushes in packs of 5 for £1 and throw them if they set solid.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

t.j.

posted on 4/11/06 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
I went last weekend to the hospital!

I had a little iron part right in my eye on my iris.

I was that afternoon grinding, with my old-school googles on.

Yesterday i've bought some new ones for 5 euro's
Incl elastics which prevents the googles fall off when you stoop.

Glad my eye isn't permanent damaged.

owelly

posted on 4/11/06 at 11:20 PM Reply With Quote
Oh, how I laughed at Trev Borg when he appeared in full protective gear, like a health and safety advert, just to cut through an exhaust bracket. He was wearing heeeuuuge gauntlets, ear defenders, goggles, hat, zipped up overalls and safety boots, etc.
I didn't tell him that two days later, a run-away grinder took the back of my hand off. I spose I've told him now though. Oh, how he will be laughing.....

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jasper

posted on 5/11/06 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
Glad you ok mate .....
MikeRJ

posted on 6/11/06 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by t.j.
I went last weekend to the hospital!

I had a little iron part right in my eye on my iris.

I've had grindings come up a small gap between the goggles and my face where they didn't seal very well, not nice!

The good thing about ferrous metal is you can usualy get it out of your eye with carefull use of a magnet, though it's always best to get to the hospital in these cases.

ned

posted on 6/11/06 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
Glad to hear you're ok james, they were very good at teh royal surrey when the skin peeled off my wrist care of some boiling hot oil in the kitchen. also been in there care of the angry grinder aswell. goggles all the time (ok, well nearly) now.

Ned.

ps my dad once looked into a 3m spraymount aerosol nozzle the fool, you can imagine the rest! thankfully he was ok.

beware, I've got yellow skin

MikeRJ

posted on 6/11/06 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ned
ps my dad once looked into a 3m spraymount aerosol nozzle the fool, you can imagine the rest! thankfully he was ok.

At least he had the decency to squirt himself in the eye! During the summer I was trying to coax the 1.6 Pinto in my scrapper Robin Hood donor into life, and my dad produced a can of easy start. Aiming it down the carb he pressed the nozzle and a jet of easystart shot out of the nozzle, which was unfortunately facing back towards my face rather than down the carb. Stung like hell for a few minutes!

I now keep an eye wash station and first aid kit in my basement for these situations!

[Edited on 6/11/06 by MikeRJ]

MikeR

posted on 7/11/06 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
i always think i'm a wuss for wearing eye protection but i heard a story a couple of years ago about a fellow seven'er who's only sighted in one eye. A cheap drill bit broke and embedded itself in his goggles - infront of his good eye. If he wasn't wearing them he'd be blind now

I also wear ear protection cause i've already got tinitius and i'm only 33!

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.