Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Zetec (or other) in a spitfire?
JackNco

posted on 4/11/06 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
Zetec (or other) in a spitfire?

Hey all title says it all, just wasting time on line n was looking at the triumph spitfires on eBay, ive always liked them.

And this seems like the place to ask. Has anyone drooped a modern engine in a spitfire on here or know anywhere online i could have a read about it?

Ive seen the V8 one on line but i think ide prefer to drop a 4pot in so theres less messing about...

So if it feasible and how hard to people think it would be?

John

Some people are worried about the difference between right and wrong. I'm worried about the difference between wrong and fun.
O'Rourke, P.J. (1989), Holidays in hell. London (Picador)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
iank

posted on 4/11/06 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
Would probably need a GT6 bonnet (to get a few extra inches of height) but I can't see any theoritical problems.

There was a US magazine dropped an RX7 rotary in one which went quite well apparently.

The classic engine swap for a spit is the 6 pot from the GT6.

Edit: The big problem with the spitfire is the rear suspension, need to do some engineering on that (again GT6 rear of the right year is favorite) to prevent it tucking a wheel under on corners.

Edit2: Grassroots motorsport Here -> http://www.grassrootsmotorsports.com/archives/rospit.html

[Edited on 4/11/06 by iank]

JackNco

posted on 4/11/06 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
wouldn't even consider ripping up a GT6 for a spitfire, but it makes sense i guess. im not planning on doing it yet maybe in a couple of years.

Just playing with ideas. im sure ive seen a zetec in one before but cant find it online

Some people are worried about the difference between right and wrong. I'm worried about the difference between wrong and fun.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Hammerhead

posted on 4/11/06 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
rover k series engines are probably a good bet for these. A lot of MG Midgets and MGB GT's get the k series treatment.

JackNco

posted on 4/11/06 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
wouldn't have thought the K series would be much or a power or reliability boost?

jdgar

posted on 4/11/06 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
(or other) in a Spitfire

Hello John, I am pretty sure someone has put a Miata engine in one, and a guy named Joe Curry dropped the engine out of a Honda 2000 in one. I am not sure of his web site though. You might inquire at:

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/nass/

When I was restoring "Biggles", everyone was incredibly helpful. I have considered a Locost chassis adapted to a Very stripped Spit shell (just the skin) with maybe even a motorcycle engine in it--but I am a lot more interested in doing a Locost first. I'll see if I don't have a link for something like you are asking about.
Joe

"If it 'ah one ting, is a nex'.

JackNco

posted on 4/11/06 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
cheers jdgar ill have a look on there now

russbost

posted on 4/11/06 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
The original ones had a 27litre engine, which later went up to 35 litres - I doubt if a Zetec will get it off the ground!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
JackNco

posted on 4/11/06 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
i guess it is alot newer. and the triumph is quite a small car.

britishtrident

posted on 4/11/06 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
A lot of silly engines have been put in Spitfires and to be honest most of the results are death traps, the chassis and rear suspension on the Herald based cars weren't exactly considered good even in 1959.

K series is well suited to the Spitfire shouldn't need major upgrades to the brakes or rear end.

stevec

posted on 4/11/06 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
Triumph Spitfires are crap cars,
They should have called them Lancasters, but that would be an insult to Lancasters, Anyway as previously mentioned they need at least 4 of these to get them going.
Tounge firmly planted in cheek, Steve.

steve m

posted on 4/11/06 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
"wouldn't have thought the K series would be much or a power or reliability boost?"

Ask CaterVan, they use quite a lot of them

JackNco

posted on 4/11/06 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
crap? care to elaborate on that?

Personally i just quite like the looks, i just fancy something a bit different really n thought it would be a nice project in the future.

JackNco

posted on 4/11/06 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
"wouldn't have thought the K series would be much or a power or reliability boost?"

Ask CaterVan, they use quite a lot of them

Thought they all used Duratec engines? well i guess the older ones didnt

jdgar

posted on 4/11/06 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
John;
found a few links:

http://www.ado13.com/dohczuke/dohc.htm --------suzuki engine in sprite

http://www.britishv8.org/Triumph/JoeCurry.htm -------- Joe Curry Honda engine

http://members.cox.net/spitlist/Joe'sPage.htm ----more Joe Curry with alternative rearend

http://www.canleyclassics.com/inprint.asp?article=6&page=7 -------Zetec Spit on your side of the pond

Joe

"If it 'ah one ting, is a nex'.

JackNco

posted on 4/11/06 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
ooooh cheers, just had a quick look n they seem like they could be a good read !

stevec

posted on 4/11/06 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JackNco
crap? care to elaborate on that?

Personally i just quite like the looks, i just fancy something a bit different really n thought it would be a nice project in the future.

Dont you recognise crap when you see it?

JackNco

posted on 4/11/06 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
lol fair enough.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.