Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: radiator / intercooler
Dave-M

posted on 7/11/06 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
radiator / intercooler

Just thinking, Is there any reason I can't use an intercooler as a radiator. I have an odd shape to fill and think I can find an intercooler to fit the space available
Will it work?
Regards
Dave

RazMan

posted on 7/11/06 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
It is unlikely that a radiator will have the airflow of an intercooler - fluid dynamics are different

Ah, just re-read your post and its the other way round ............. in which case it might just work .

[Edited on 7-11-06 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Coose

posted on 7/11/06 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
What about bike radiators? They tend to be smaller and of various shapes....

Spin 'er off Well...

02GF74

posted on 7/11/06 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
hmmm, interesting. the intercoolers I;ve seen pictures of then to be quite deep so that may not be so good when you shove water through it., Also the tubing to the collers tend to be large diameter so you may have difficulty getting the hose.

If you ahve one already, how do they compare for size?

Try it but if it was me, I'd find a water radiator for cool water - there is a mcuh bigger selection fo those.

Dave-M

posted on 7/11/06 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
Perhaps a bit more info might be in order. The space I have available is 9" by 27" and being a tight Yorkshireman I an trying to avoid having a rad specially built. The car will be primarily for sprint & hillclimb use with around 130 BHP. I did consider a bike rad but looking back through the archives I find mixed opinions on their use.
The logic behind using an intercooler is to maintain the same or greater volume of water in the system and using a bike rad would not do this (I think).
Two turned adaptors should fix the diameter mis match.
What do you think
Regards
Dave

NS Dev

posted on 7/11/06 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote
I'm struggling for reasons not to do it!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

Bluemoon

posted on 7/11/06 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
Can an intercooler deal with the pressure in your cooling system?
PeterW

posted on 7/11/06 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bluemoon
Can an intercooler deal with the pressure in your cooling system?

Mine copes with full on boost, so you could recon about 1.2 bar

Whats the worst you could get in a water system...?

Peter

Dave-M

posted on 7/11/06 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
Rad caps are generally set to blow off at between 7 - 13 psi which is less than 1 bar (just) so should be OK.
As far as cooling efficiency is concerned, the reasoning I applied is as follows:-
The air flowing throgh the intercooler is travelling at a much higher speed than water would yet the air is cooled very efficiently so the slower moving water should cool very well also.
The main problem I can see at this moment is the positioning of the inlet and outlet. Do you think it will matter if they are not at the top and bottom on opposite sides
See ebay items:- 250045533822
and 300043543917
Regards
Dave

Coose

posted on 7/11/06 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dave-M
I did consider a bike rad but looking back through the archives I find mixed opinions on their use.

Huh? There's nothing wrong with bike rads - like any other rad you need to ensure that they're sized correctly!

Spin 'er off Well...

Dave-M

posted on 7/11/06 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
Coose, Don't suppose there is anything wrong with bike rads, Just commenting on what's been posted here before.
I don't think I would get one in the size I need anyway.
Regards
Dave

Peteff

posted on 7/11/06 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
Why limit yourself to one, put a few bike rads in to fill the space. The only thing I have seen against their use is the cost, they are expensive compared to car radiators.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.