Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Converting Gas Hob to Electric - Is Fitter Needed?
craig1410

posted on 11/11/06 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
Converting Gas Hob to Electric - Is Fitter Needed?

Hi,
I'm thinking of changing our gas hob to a ceramic one. Does anyone know if this is a job which can be tackled on an amateur basis or does it fall under the remit of a Corgi registered fitter? It will involve blanking off the gas supply to the hob although this may simply mean turning a tap.

Advice welcome.
Craig.

mark.s

posted on 11/11/06 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
you'll need a corgi reg plumber to cap the gas, and what output is the electric hob you might need to pull a bigger cable through

cheers mark

Jasper

posted on 11/11/06 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
Check the fitting - it may be the push and turn type which self seal when disconnected.

I took out a cooker recently and removed the entire pipe joining it to the mains just after the meter. I just used a compression fitting with ptf tape, then checked it with soapy water after to see if it bubbled, which it didin't.... Safer than soldering it

Yes, you SHOULD get a Corgi, depends how confident you are with plumbing....

And he's right on the supply to the hob, I had to have a new 30amp supply, even though I'd just got a new 30amp supply for the new oven. I'm using an induction hob (awesome piece of kit) - it uses more power than the fan oven..

[Edited on 11/11/06 by Jasper]

craig1410

posted on 11/11/06 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Mark,
Thanks for the quick reply.
I'm happy enough to sort out the electrics as my Dad is an electrician and I'm pretty handy in this regard myself as I am an Electronic Engineer. I've not looked at the cable yet but I'm hoping that whoever wired up the house put in a big enough cable for cooker and hob.

Will I still need a corgi installer even if all that it required is to turn an isolation tap and disconnect the hob? Is so, what should I expect to pay for someone to cap the gas?

Cheers,
Craig.

craig1410

posted on 11/11/06 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Jasper,
So you needed two 30A supplies? I must admit I didn't realise it would be that heavy. Sounds like this job could turn out to be quite expensive in the end...

The kicker is that my wife has only mentioned changing the hob because she has £115 worth of MFI vouchers which need to be used up. She needs to spend £250 on a hob to redeem them but by the time I add a Corgi visit (say £60) and possibly a new cable then I'm not sure it's such a great idea...

Time to casually leaf through the MFI catalogue and find something else which she can buy with her vouchers I think...

Cheers,
Craig.

Confused but excited.

posted on 11/11/06 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jasper

Yes, you SHOULD get a Corgi, depends how confident you are with plumbing...

NO IT DOESN'T ! You are legally required to employ a Corgi registered gas fitter, to do any work involving a gas installation. Failure to do so can result in a fine not exceeding £5,000.00!
The choice is of course yours.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

fishywick

posted on 11/11/06 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
The law actually says that anyone receiving payment must be Corgi registered. It says that the work can be done otherwise by a 'competent' person and there is no definition of that.
So.....unless you are completely cofident of doing it yourself it's Mr Corgi.
PS if you do use ptf tape it must be the gas one which is dearer.

Catpuss

posted on 11/11/06 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Confused but excited.
quote:
Originally posted by Jasper

Yes, you SHOULD get a Corgi, depends how confident you are with plumbing...

NO IT DOESN'T ! You are legally required to employ a Corgi registered gas fitter, to do any work involving a gas installation. Failure to do so can result in a fine not exceeding £5,000.00!
The choice is of course yours.

On top of that they can check the cut off is safe too.

Also for electricity you may well need a person who can certify the work depending on what it all entails as all this shite changed last year. But as your dad is an electrician I guess he is probably able to certify work done.

craig1410

posted on 11/11/06 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
Unfortunately my Dad is a retired electrician so he can't certify electrical work any more.

As for the Corgi question, my understanding is that the Health & Safety Executive require a "competent" person to carry out the work and the only people who they consider to be competent are Corgi registered.

What I am uncertain about is whether the actual appliance is considered to be part of the gas installation in situations where the applicance pipe is connected to one of the self-sealing valves mentioned earlier. Thinking of an electrical analogy, the bit which has to be fitted by a qualified electrician is up to and including the socket. You don't need to be an electrician to connect a toaster to that socket.

I'm not the type of person to blindly follow rules just because some HSE bod says that I must. I trust myself to do what is right based on a thorough evaluation of risk. If I was capping the gas pipe then obviously I wouldn't use a blowlamp to melt the solder and would in fact probably go for a compression fitting like Jasper. I would also check with soapy water for leaks. Having said that, if a Corgi fitter would do the job for a reasonable fee (ie. £15-£20 max) then I would gladly let him do it but I won't be ripped off, regardless of HSE regs.

Thanks all,
Craig.

zzr1100rick2

posted on 11/11/06 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
thought u could do your own gas fitting in your own house well i did and im still here
Surrey Dave

posted on 11/11/06 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
Pants!!

You need a CORGI fitter or qualified sparks to even wipe your arse now in this country.

Everything dumbed down so imbeciles can manage!!

Nanny state?? , could be old labour in new clothes making jobs for the boys.

JoelP

posted on 11/11/06 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
if you remove the hob, you WILL need a corgi man to do it LEGALLY. However, you dont have to do it legally.

If there is a gas valve, it is neither safe nor legal to simply remove the copper pipe from it. You need to put a perminant stopper on it. Easiest way to do this is to turn off the gas, unbolt the valve and use the existing olive and nut to hold on a compression stopend. Care must be taken here though, if the olive is too far on the pipe then the new stop end wont seal properly. Might be easier to cut it short, at a nice piece of unpainted and un damaged pipe, and cap it there. I myself would solder it, however, a compression fitting is acceptable. As said, use gas paste or tape just to be sure (though i dont think tis necessary). A corgi man will charge about £100 for tihs. Maybe £50 if you get lucky.

As for the hob, it will use loads more power than the oven. However, i myself would be happy to run both on a single 6mm wire with a 32A breaker. The totals outputs of both probably exceed 32A, however the regs allow you to 'diversify' the total and knock some off, as it is unlikely that both oven and hob will ever simultaneous be on full chat. Plus, the breaker will protect the wire anyway.

In fact, its arguable that 6kw hobs can be run on a single 2.5mm wire, provided you use a 16A breaker.

I know i would do it all myself, but thats because i know im competent.

edit to add, check all gas joints with dilute fairy liquid.

second edit, if the hob is on a bayonet fitting you can unplug it, but its highly unlikely, Ive only seen one in about 200 kitchens.

[Edited on 11/11/06 by JoelP]

dmottaway

posted on 11/11/06 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
for those of us on the other side of the pond - what is a "HOB"?

dave

JoelP

posted on 11/11/06 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
the gas or electric device on top of an oven used to heat pans what do you call it?!
MkIndy7

posted on 11/11/06 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
second edit, if the hob is on a bayonet fitting you can unplug it, but its highly unlikely, Ive only seen one in about 200 kitchens.
[Edited on 11/11/06 by JoelP]

Quite right too, only cookers should be on Flexible connections so you can pull them out to clean behind (and should have a safety chain fitted so the appliance can never put pressure on the hose when pulled out.).

All Permenant appliances (like the hob)must have a rigid coupling.

Wadders

posted on 11/11/06 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
Stick some chewing gum in the end of the pipe, check its not leaking by using a lighted candle, once your satisfied its ok,attach the cooker to the mains using some speaker wire and a nail where the fuse should be. Then cook dinner using arsenic instead of salt. It will be fine.
splitrivet

posted on 12/11/06 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
How many locostbuilders does it take to change a hob......answer 50, 1 to unplug the bayonet fitting, 49 to fecking well argue about it.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

Peteff

posted on 12/11/06 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
check its not leaking by using a lighted candle

Can you use a cigarette lighter and is there an alternative to arsenic for people who don't use salt? Also as I don't have any speaker wire left could I use the lawnmower extension cable or would it be too heavy? Is it really necessary to turn the gas off to solder the pipe if I do it really quickly as I can use the oxy-acetylene ? Do you need Corgi registration as they are installers and you are removing, which is the opposite of installing. While we're here, how many different ways are there to spell permanent ?

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Catpuss

posted on 14/11/06 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
Can you use a cigarette lighter and is there an alternative to arsenic for people who don't use salt? Also as I don't have any speaker wire left could I use the lawnmower extension cable or would it be too heavy?

Yes, use the old speaker wires you saved from your donor car just in case you thought they may be useful one day.

quote:
While we're here, how many different ways are there to spell permanent ?

About seven ways less than there are ways of stopping the spelling of bannanannanana

brynhamlet

posted on 15/11/06 at 07:34 AM Reply With Quote
You can do what you like in your own house as long as you don't advertise it. Presuming nobody from the HSE, or any other goverment body doesn't read this forum.

However in the unlikely event you do have a problem your house insurance is invalid.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.