Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: R1 Supercharger
Hammerhead

posted on 17/11/06 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote
R1 Supercharger

Well thinking ahead to the next project (although I am no where near completing this one) I think I might go the BEC route and was wondering about supercharging an R1 engine.

http://www.dynomite.co.uk/Dynosite/HTMLfiles/supercharger.html

looks abit heath robinson. Anyone reckon we could come up with something between us? 200bhp @ 10k rpm sounds yummy and might make you want your mummy (or something)

clockwork

posted on 17/11/06 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
I think you'll find that it's a rotrex supercharger, I don't know any other companies that make centrifugal superchargers, anyway, it's not going to be locost that's for sure.
Hammerhead

posted on 17/11/06 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
how about strapping a bmw mini eaton supercharger to one? is that locost enough for ya?
BenB

posted on 17/11/06 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
As you may know I'm putting a blower on my ST1100 V4

If you do go down the forced induction route there are a couple of books that are quite useful:

Forced Induction Performance Tuning A Practical Guide to Supercharging and Turbocharging
by Graham Bell

is a pretty good all-round book.
There is a specific book for forced induction motorbikes but it's not quite so useful (it talks mostly about off the shelf stuff)... And I can never find the bloody thing- I know Amazon(US) sell it but you can't find it typing Motorbike Supercharger etc...

You chosen a 'charger yet? BMW Mini CooperS is a favorite for price (Eaton M45 based- though they're going turbo for the CooperS soon)- about £80 on Ebay. Roots type so inefficient (intercooler time). Centrifugal is more efficient but gives lower boost at lower rpms ie not totally linear (so you kind less extra oomph and almost a slight lag as the power winds up with RPM)... Then again, the higher cost of a Vortech unit can be ofset by perhaps not needing an intercooler unless you go crazy with the boost... Centrifugal chargers come up every now and again on Ebay.... Often they need a seperate oil feed for lubrication and cooling- BMW mini is built in...

You'ld be best to fit a pop-off valve in case of over-pressure. Especially if you use a blow through throttle body- slaming the throttle shut when the blower is producing the goods is a good way of bending butterfly plates and jamming spindle...

Most bike engines have high compression rations which needs addressing. Best options is an engine with a split case- you can just put extra gaskets (within reason) to decompress it. Otherwise you're looking at a Farraday decompression plate head gasket or low CR pistons...

Bike engines with funky cams don't respond so well to supercharging tactics- NA engines with large amountos valve timing overlap just splurge some in the inlet charge mixture out the exhaust. On forced induction engines, you're losing your pressure for that period of time but still using up engine power to spin up the charger. At least on a turbo any exhaust loss form the inlet charge pressure wave just spins up the blower a bit faster (sure, you get losses due to inefficiency but it beats the 100% loss a charger gives)...

FWIW I'm going for a Mini Roots blower driven off the end of the crank via a belt (BMW blower uses a multirib / multiV 6-rib pulley) blowing through a air/air intercooler into a custom plenum. Individual injectors (don't forget you'ld probably need to regulate fuel pressure relative to boost), with a single suck-through Rover K-series 48mm throttle body. Ferriday engineering decompression plate down to just over 9:1. All run from Emerald ECU (or maybe Kronenberg Engine Management which recognises the Honda trigger plate already in place).... Otherwise its a custom trigger plate....

All simple really

Hammerhead

posted on 17/11/06 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
wow....great info.

Looks like it will be a big project. Maybe a ZZR1400 engine will give me what I want without the headaches!!

[Edited on 17/11/06 by Hammerhead]

ruudbeckers

posted on 17/11/06 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
Or what about a zzr1400 with a supercharger (or turbo)? That would be nice. But also not very locost.
jack trolley

posted on 17/11/06 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
T'other book?

smart51

posted on 17/11/06 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
If you want 200 BHP, a ZZR1400 with a nice exhaust and a remap should do that. No messing with a 'charger.
BenB

posted on 17/11/06 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
That's the fella!
yorkshire-engines

posted on 17/11/06 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
zzr 1400 are now around £3k for a full kit sold one this week to fifth gear
tiff blew there radical up so needed a better engine and guess who had one in stock

got another if you wannit

cheers malc

ps 2x 2006 busa kits as well £2800 each
(had to put each as you all keep tellin me thats cheep for a pair)

[Edited on 17/11/06 by yorkshire-engines]

polus

posted on 18/11/06 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
That aint cheap but my-god thats an engine!
bimbleuk

posted on 19/11/06 at 03:08 AM Reply With Quote
Rotrex are the only company doing a supercharger almost specifically designed for bike use as far as I'm aware. The new model is tiny and half the weight of the one I'm using on a Toyota 1.6 car engine. I thought that one was compact!

If you're near TTS or GMC Motorsport then they would be worth paying a visit.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.