Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: electricity supplier prob
liam.mccaffrey

posted on 24/11/06 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
electricity supplier prob

at the mo i'm a private tenant, i pay for my electric by a coin meter which my land lord collects and pays the bill. but for some reason the supplier thinks i should be billed for the lecky and have stopped taking my landlords direct debits and are billing me

the supplier are now taking me to court because they think i owe them hundreds of pounds.

the waters are muddied a bit because my landlords previous acount for my address is hundreds of pounds in credit

I have telephoned the supplier to try to rectify the situation and have my landlords account brought up to date, but get put through time and time again to the wrong department. I have written a letter to them explaining the situation signed both by myself and my landlord but i had a letter this morning saying I have 11 days to pay or someone will be coming to disconnect the electricity

I know you will all say its my landlords responsibility but he is my elderly grandfather

I don; really know what to do now any advice

[Edited on 24/11/06 by liam.mccaffrey]

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

graememk

posted on 24/11/06 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
they cant turn off the power without a cort order, so dont panic and it takes ages to sort that out.

send a recorded mail letter with copies of both bills and ask them to sort it out or you will start to charge them for your time.

PeterW

posted on 24/11/06 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by liam.mccaffrey
at the mo i'm a private tenant, i pay for my electric by a coin meter which my land lord collects and pays the bill. but for some reason the supplier thinks i should be billed for the lecky and have stopped taking my landlords direct debits and are billing me

the supplier are now taking me to court because they think i owe them hundreds of pounds.

the waters are muddied a bit because my landlords previous acount for my address is hundreds of pounds in credit

I have telephoned the supplier to try to rectify the situation and have my landlords account brought up to date, but get put through time and time again to the wrong department. I have written a letter to them explaining the situation signed both by myself and my landlord but i had a letter this morning saying I have 11 days to pay or someone will be coming to disconnect the electricity

I know you will all say its my landlords responsibility but he is my elderly grandfather

I don; really know what to do now any advice

[Edited on 24/11/06 by liam.mccaffrey]

Dispute the bill.

Ring them and say that you are 'disputing the bill', and they have to stop the process - OFGEM (EnergyWatch) rules...

Then ring thier complaints department, and say you are thinking of making an OFGEM (EnergyWatch) complaint.

It will get sorted quickly..! I used to work in the industry...

Cheers

Peter

nitram38

posted on 24/11/06 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
The electricity bill for the property is in your grandfathers name. Unless the electricity board supplied and fitted your meter, they have no right to bill you for anything.
I used to work for London Electricity.

Peteff

posted on 24/11/06 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
Is the money still in the debit account? Ask your grandad to withdraw it and give it to you to pay the bill. Have a look on Martin's for similar cases to see what they have done.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

DIY Si

posted on 24/11/06 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
As said above, they need a bailiff/court order to turn the power off. I should know as it's part of my job from time to time. First thing is to ring and dispute the bill. Then ring EnergyWatch and complain. This will get things sorted very quickly, as B.G. certainly poo themselves silly when this happens. I've been sent 120 miles out of my way just to inspect a meter that had an EnergyWatch complaint in about it.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 24/11/06 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
thanks chaps energy watch seems like a good idea

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

Avoneer

posted on 24/11/06 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
And don't worry about disconnection.

They have to apply at the Magistrates' and have to notify you of the hearing.

Turn up on the day and dispute it.

I've never seen a warrant granted that had any form of disupte on it yet in 8 years of working for the Court.

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JoelP

posted on 24/11/06 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
my mate had his gas cut off with no warning, whats the difference?
MikeRJ

posted on 24/11/06 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
my mate had his gas cut off with no warning, whats the difference?

Was that due to non-payment or because a gas applicance had been condemed?

JoelP

posted on 24/11/06 at 11:04 PM Reply With Quote
non payment, they took out the meter. Then again, he's so dumb he probably missed the court date!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.