Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: A little more progress
Alan B

posted on 11/12/06 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
A little more progress

A bit more progress from this weekend...

I lifted it off the bench to see how it fit around the engine, it's now back on the bench for more tubes to be added.

Frame off bench 1
Frame off bench 1

Frame off bench 2
Frame off bench 2

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
iank

posted on 11/12/06 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
Looking very pretty so far.
I presume you're still adding tubes.

How are you planning to fit the floor? Curved round tubes aren't the easiest things to nail flat sheet to and have it look good.

Alan B

posted on 11/12/06 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iank
Looking very pretty so far.
I presume you're still adding tubes.

How are you planning to fit the floor? Curved round tubes aren't the easiest things to nail flat sheet to and have it look good.

Oh yeah...loads more tubes to go...I just wanted to see what I had space wise around the engine corresponded with what I though I had.

I'll be welding tabs for the floor fastening, it seems to work well and avoids drilling the tubes completely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
thomas4age

posted on 11/12/06 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
Hey Alan,

looking very nice, is that stainless?

and how did you do the long bends, and how did you get them exactly the same?

grtz Thomas

If Lucas made guns, Wars wouldn't start either.

Alan B

posted on 11/12/06 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Thomas,

Thanks..

The long bends are discussed here...

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=56167

The material is regular carbon steel ERW tube....just hasn't gone rusty yet...LOL

Alan

sgraber

posted on 11/12/06 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
How wide is that thing?! The engine looks positively minute back there.

But I really like the shape and the idea of the 3 seater. It's awesome!

Graber

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

Alan B

posted on 11/12/06 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
Steve, the max. overall frame width is 57"...two reasons, the obvious one, to accomodate three people, and also to give more room for rear suspension, and other engine options (Northstar?).....

The goal is a sporty car, that may also have some crossover appeal to the buggy/sandrail crowd and also to hot-rodders...we'll see...

I think I'm getting ready for another trip to Phoenix...

sgraber

posted on 13/12/06 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
I am enamoured by your concept and think that given the proper visual treatment you will have a winner. Everyone is about the 'bling these days... But I'm sure you have that covered.

I would LOVE to have you come out to Phx again Alan. Anytime, anytime. Maybe that trip up to Jerome will be done in La bala this time?!

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

Alan B

posted on 21/12/06 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds good Steve.......

Meanwhile a few more pictures....

Description
Description

The perspective makes it look fatter than it really is....

Description
Description

Description
Description

[img][/img]

RazMan

posted on 22/12/06 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
It is good to see a unique approach to a car's design - I love it. The three seat concept is getting fairly popular at the moment but your approach has a much better feel to it.
My Aeon was originally a three seater but I decided that I needed a little more room for passengers so opted for two, larger seat areas. Your curved design might have allowed me to keep three seats!

I will definitely be following your progress Alan

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

cloudy

posted on 22/12/06 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
loving the unqiueness of this project, any sketches about of what you'd like it to look like finished?

James

Alan B

posted on 22/12/06 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys.

I have a few ideas as to how it will end up. Right now I'm trying to have the chassis as the star of the show both visually and technically..I beleive you can do both. Despite some obvious Atom inspiration, I'm also influenced by sandrails, particulary some of the modern ones, Lotus 340 R, Mac F1, and minimalistic motorcycle type looks.

The idea of an exoskeletal type vehicle has been on my mind for a while.

Tralfaz

posted on 2/1/07 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
Someone stole your idea....

http://www.sdrsportscars.co.uk/flash/gallery.html
Alan B

posted on 3/1/07 at 01:59 AM Reply With Quote
hmmm...hard to deny the similarity, at least in concept...great minds think alike I guess...

I will follow it's progress...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.