Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Police Evasion Systems
MattCraneCustoms

posted on 13/12/06 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
Police Evasion Systems

Cool thread name huh? Now that I have your attention, just wondering whether anyone here uses anything in the way of Laser Jammer Systems. I've been reading a lot of articles by a chap you might have heard of, Alex Roy. He runs an M5 / Bentley GT in various rallies, namely the Gumball, and knows his stuff about police evasion systems, didnt know if any of you guys had any personal experiences with any such devices. I've been considering fitting a laser jammer system into the build, well concealed from the snouts of the police (The Snooper SLD 920 is the system of choice, known as the blinder xtreme in the US)
And no I'm not a speed demon (Even though thats a lie when your building a seven) but I don't want to give the government any more excuse to rob me of money.
Any views on such systems are appreciated!
Merry Xmas to you all,
Matt

[Edited on 13/12/06 by MattCraneCustoms]

arrybradbury

posted on 13/12/06 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
Often wondered how these things work, where have you been reading up about them? I'd seriously consider one if they do what i think they do.....!
BenB

posted on 13/12/06 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
I thought laser jammers were frowned upon wereas frontwards pointing laser activated garage door openers were fine
IE if the only reason to have it on your car is to prevent an accurate speed camera fix you're in for fun and games with a pitbull type police officer... If you can prove a legal reason to have it then they're likely to give up...

MattCraneCustoms

posted on 13/12/06 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
Here's where you can find the summary of what Team Polizei 144 use. I searched for various products and went from there

Polizei 144 Technology

Hi Ben,
my way if thinking is to bury it so far into the build they would be unable to find the system anyway. So if they chase after you, you can switch it off and say it was a camera error. Our local cops are as thick as too short planks anyway, they probably don't know such a system exists!!

[Edited on 13/12/06 by MattCraneCustoms]

timmy

posted on 13/12/06 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
Our local Dick Turpin's have radar/laser detector detectors because it's illegal over here to use them (although it's OK to buy/sell them for some reason).
gregf27

posted on 13/12/06 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
Contrary to what has been said already, the police are fully aware these systems exist, and know what they look like, if you are caught with one fitted to your car, they can do you for obstruction and confiscate your kit!!
And making insults to another persons profession is pretty narrow minded.
If you still feel the need to speed , why not go on track days - without the worry?

chockymonster

posted on 14/12/06 at 12:09 AM Reply With Quote
Hide it in the build?
It has to be fitted in areas to work and when they've impounded your car and stripped it to find the device you're screwed.

Perverting the course of justice is not something you want to be facing. Police take a very dim view on these, detection is fine, obstruction isn't

PLEASE NOTE - Responses on Forum Threads may contain Sarcasm and may not be suitable for the hard of Thinking.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
benji106

posted on 14/12/06 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gregf27
Contrary to what has been said already, the police are fully aware these systems exist, and know what they look like, if you are caught with one fitted to your car, they can do you for obstruction and confiscate your kit!!
And making insults to another persons profession is pretty narrow minded.
If you still feel the need to speed , why not go on track days - without the worry?

imho the police force have only themselves to blame for the lack of respect they seem to command nowadays, they seem more intent on catching people going a few mph over the speed limit than catching thieves etc. I would have one of those jammers if i thought i could get away with it, not because i 'feel the need for speed' but admitedly from time to time i exceed the speed limit when it is safe to do so and im fed up getting screwed over by the government every time i bend over.

not having a dig just my personal opinion

-Everything in excess-

macnab

posted on 14/12/06 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
I watched Myth Busters on radar evasion devises, some quite stupid like jingling your keys in the window or CDs positioned along the bottom of the windscreen (I wondered by truckers did that...)

None of it did anything, even the chaff cannon! It was fun though. I suspect it’s the same with lasers. Their probably tuned to a specific wavelength and you have to know that before hand. Don't garage door use radio or infrared diodes like your TV remote?

MattCraneCustoms

posted on 14/12/06 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
well there is no law against jammers in this country, the only thing not allowed is radar emission, as you need a license. Its more of a precautionary thought myself, as I doubt anyone on here can say they've never gone over the limit in a 30mph area, or through roadworks at the national limit.
In regards to hiding it, you cant hide the main units, I was thinking of blending these into the front wings. the wiring and main control unit can all be hidden and incorporated into other looms, so that at a closish glance it doesnt look like it was just added onto the car later on. I've heard about the garage door opening systems but I'd sooner get the real deal and be assured. They are available cheaply in america anyway

Rob Lane

posted on 14/12/06 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
Its been a while but from what I can remember :

Laser diodes at 980nm(? can't remember) frequency are used . They need to be high power versions and mounted free and clear.
I have seen number plate 'bolts' that had diodes incorporated.
A detector is required to marry up with a
a timer system to shut them off for a period after detection of a beam (about 3-5secs). That way a second read will show up on speed device. It will have an error first time (quite common) giving time to slow down.

Detectors that bleep for the beam are toooooo late!

Radar are much easier because the beam is around corners, however they are old devices. Newer versions are much smarter, only switching on as required. How? Well semi fixed positions are used. Ever noticed the twin ground loops set in road prior to speed cameras, they are a pre cursor speed calc which then arms the radar active device. By the time any active detector gives warning it's too late again. Obviously, not so, gps devices which use a database.

Semi fixed (i.e removeable devices) locations have the ground loops fitted and wired to a convenient junction box.

I got fed up with it all and the outrageous prices charged for simple units.

I'm resigned to the fact that I am a criminal and occasionally break the speed limit. That's because I cannot spend all my driving time watching the speedo for 5 mph exceed in a 30 limit. For that I also have to stay in 3rd gear, any higher and car labours in too high a gear.

I'm a law abiding guy, but the tactics used by the speed police border on the american equivalent of entrapment.

Setting up gantry speed limits when there is no need, on empty motorways, then ticketing people exceeding limit on empty road is one.
Tailgating in the dark with full beam encouraging the driver to speed out of the way. (Don't stop it may be something else, such as a carjack)

Sorry, rant over.

paulf

posted on 14/12/06 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
Does the beam need to be modulated or just on continuously until a laser is detected?. could they be built into the headlamps on a seven as per the sidelights?.

Paul.
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Lane
Its been a while but from what I can remember :

Laser diodes at 980nm(? can't remember) frequency are used . They need to be high power versions and mounted free and clear.
I have seen number plate 'bolts' that had diodes incorporated.

Peteff

posted on 15/12/06 at 12:13 AM Reply With Quote
Tailgating in the dark with full beam encouraging the driver to speed out of the way.

I think that is a bit of an exaggeration, how many people has this happened to? I know I've never experienced anything like it. I was inadvertently (your honour) doing 85 on my bike on the A38 last week and was caught up by a police car so I pulled over and he carried on his way past me to my relief. I don't see them doing anything vindictive to try to trick people into speeding, this sounds like paranoia to me and if I get pulled while over the limit it will be my fault, either through lack of self control or of observation.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Syd Bridge

posted on 15/12/06 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Lane
........Tailgating in the dark with full beam encouraging the driver to speed out of the way. (Don't stop it may be something else, such as a carjack)

Sorry, rant over.

The trucks on the mainland motorways scare me. 60mph, and 6feet from your back bumper! That's what causes all the nasty accidents in the fog in winter!

The other thing that we encounter here on the island(God's waiting room ), is elderly drivers who go everywhere at 28mph, then when you get an open stretch to pass them, they speed up to 32, or there's a car coming the other way! Can't win! Most of the oldies just can't see, that's why they go slow.

Cheers,
Syd.

Scotty

posted on 15/12/06 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Most of the oldies just can't see, that's why they go slow.

Cheers,
Syd.

you could buy better glasses sid !!!

PLEASE NOTE! All comments made by this person are to be considered "Tongue in Cheek" and are not meant to be taken seriously in any way - so there!

Rob Lane

posted on 16/12/06 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
Well, I'm surprised Pete !

Calling me paranoid and a story teller

I've got the 3 points to prove it and a memory of the smirk on the cops face. He knew what he was doing alright and it turns out I wasn't the only one.

Crossing a long curved two lane flyover bridge at night, only me on road, dawdling along listening to music when lights come right up behind, I pull over and he insists on blinding me. I slow down and signal left, he still persists in blinding me with full beam.
Finally I shoot off at next roundabout and slow back down further on, only to be greeted by blues and twos.
One smirking traffic cop, no reason for previous action, he refused to talk, just wrote out a ticket.
I later learned from another traffic cop that this was his favourite pastime at end of shift.

I only post facts Pete and my post level is very low. It will be even lower now.

Peteff

posted on 16/12/06 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
I only post facts Pete and my post level is very low.

I post whatever I'm thinking at the time usually Rob don't take it to heart, that does sound a bit paranoid. You must have a different police force to the one we have here, If it means paperwork at the end of the shift they will leave it well alone. It's never likely to happen to me because my old van wouldn't attract a carjacking and is hardly capable of speeding and if they come up behind me I couldn't give a toss how much their lights shine, I just turn the mirror away and carry on at my own pace. Did you go to court or plead by letter?

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

DaveFJ

posted on 16/12/06 at 10:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
I think that is a bit of an exaggeration, how many people has this happened to? I know I've never experienced anything like it. I was inadvertently (your honour) doing 85 on my bike on the A38 last week and was caught up by a police car so I pulled over and he carried on his way past me to my relief. I don't see them doing anything vindictive to try to trick people into speeding, this sounds like paranoia to me and if I get pulled while over the limit it will be my fault, either through lack of self control or of observation.

That is exactly what happened to me, cost me £60 - filed an official complaint but got no where... the guy tailgated me at 80-90 for 5 miles before switching his ligbhts on and pulling me over, he was so close that I couldn't see his headlights!!!!

I have Zero respect for road traffic police!

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

Peteff

posted on 17/12/06 at 12:31 AM Reply With Quote
the guy tailgated me at 80-90 for 5 miles before switching his ligbhts on

You've just admitted to breaking the limit for 5 miles, how could you appeal.

yours, Pete

polus

posted on 17/12/06 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
Following people too closely is in most cases something I regard as more dangerous then doing above 70 on a motorway (conditions allowing). Any police officer playing games like the examples described above, especially in the dark should be sacked. TBH, yours aren’t the first stories I’ve heard of what amounts to entrapment to gather evidence. I guess we have some very warped sense of priority in this country…
westcost1

posted on 19/1/07 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
My friend has radar blocker fitted to front and back of his cossi for the past 2 years he has put them behind the number plates and removed the black lettering of one of the numbers so the number plate acts like a window you can see it but only if you are looking hard don’t think a copper would see it. also get one that puts out a short signal as soon as it detects the radar ( for about 4 sec) then terns off at the same time it beeps in the car to warn you can break . the pig gets a error message on the gun and tries again by this time you are doing the speed limit the blocker will remember it has just emitted and not do so this time . If he gets 2 errors coz some blockers send out signal every time they switch on you will likely get pulled. 3 more points and im getting some.
02GF74

posted on 19/1/07 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
save your money. I am not convinced they will help. If you learn to rely on them, a) you will get tickets and b) you'll probably stuff yourself into a bridge/tree/other car by driving too fast.

there is a difference between mak,ein good progress by driving fast and speeding.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.