Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Land Rover with Rover V8 engine
Zero 7

posted on 15/12/06 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
Land Rover with Rover V8 engine

Would not let me Post in Bargains elsewhere due to not being member long enough ...
See this on Ebay thought maybe cheap for someone looking for a Rover V8 ... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SWB-Series-2A-LAND-ROVER-with-V8-Engine_W0QQitemZ170059476407QQihZ007QQcategoryZ29748QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item170059476407

BenB

posted on 16/12/06 at 12:16 AM Reply With Quote
Or even better finish the job and flog it. I'm always amazed by the price Landies get when working!!! Which is a shame really cos I fancy one!!!
wilkingj

posted on 16/12/06 at 08:20 AM Reply With Quote
That would be worth £1500 if fully restored and on the road, maybe £2k tops,.

That want a lot of work doing, but its all nut and bolt stuff, and fairy easy.

Downside is all Imperial and Whitworth sized nuts., and everything is big and heavy. I know, I have restored 2 Landy's in the last 10 years. Viento was a real lightweight in comparrison

Still worth it.

To fully and properly recon the V8 will suck up well over £1k on its own. Remember its like doing 2 x 4 cyliner engines.
I would suspect it would need a new cam and followers as a minimum as RV8's Cams are usually well sha**ed by 70-80k miles.

Cranks wear well, mine just needed a polish, bores go oval, but can get away with a hone and new rings, or its a £300-£400 for rebore and pistons.
Buy American Pistons (Buick 215), as they are £170 a set (of 8) with rings, UK Genuine Rover ones are £78 EACH and Rings £32 a piston!! (rember thats x 8 of each)

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
caber

posted on 16/12/06 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
That looks like a good bet for restoration Landy's are very easy to work on, you could keep the negine and stick just about anything in the Landy, If you want a diesel then the Prima from the Montego is a popular choice if you want a Land Rover Engine go for sny of the turbo diesels, farily easy fit wil bolt straight to the gearbox and usually only have to move one mount on the chassis. Lots of Tax ree motoring fun and increadibly useful for towing or carrying around Locost bits, I had my chassis on the roof rack of mine and engine and bits in the back when I moved. The 2A has lots of character being a straight 1950s design also lots of practice heel and toeing as there is no synchro in first and second and possibly not much left on third and fourth!

Caber

lexi

posted on 16/12/06 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
Why do people keep tempting me with stuff like this?
Alex

Zero 7

posted on 16/12/06 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
E-bay is a evil temptress especially when i got my stupid head on , Then wake up the next morning and think "why the hell did i buy that " " Doh "
caber

posted on 16/12/06 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
Alex, You know it makes sense, paisley can be the devil when it snows and 4 wheel drive is just what you need! besides there are a lot of Land Rover nuts and resources in Scotland! I may even be able to find you a 2.5TD engine in need of a total rebuild for very few beer tokens!

Caber

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.