Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Help!!!Plumbing Knowledge required ASAP
russbost

posted on 16/12/06 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
Help!!!Plumbing Knowledge required ASAP

Last night central heating & water system started making horrible banging noises in pipes, sounded like tons of trapped air. Banging was so bad it actually started a minor leak by the pump, I thought something was going to explode!!! Obviously shut the system down, tried bleeding air out of everywhere I could think of, left it overnight & tentatively started up again this morning, as soon as the boiler fired, horrible banging noises in pipes again. Tried again just running hot water, no heating, boiler didn't fire but pump appeared to be running, left like that for a while, no noises, but boiler still not fired, pump seemed to be very very hot, tried heating again, boiler still doesn't fire. Turned everything off including turning thermostat down, but pump still appeares to be running (humming) only way I can turn pump off is to cut mains power to the pump/boiler.
System is Potterton Suprima 80 with separate hot tank about 8-9 years old.
I can't get a plumber anywhere, I'm guessing the pump is Bolloxed? Am I right & how hard a job to change - where do i drain the system down from?
Any help greatly appreciated!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
thunderace

posted on 16/12/06 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
can you post a pic of your pump as i think its a 3 speed one and may be turned up to 3 and thats the prob (turn it down to 1)or its sucking air in from round the pump has it an auto purge on it??
without seeing i would say its got a leak or sucking air for sure check for leakes!!!!

lexi

posted on 16/12/06 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
Not a plumber, but usually the power feed for heating should be isolated to at least a box of it`s own . Maybe do this when you renew it.
There is sometimes a drain on outside through a brick vent. Little square metal affair. Pumps can be got in B& Q. Match the rating and capacity. Some stuff can be Googled on net for guidance. Maybe crud in system needing drained and flushed . Use Fernox when refilling. It`s a treatment to prevent sludge. Good Luck.
Alex

Wadders

posted on 16/12/06 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wadders
Sounds to me like your boiler is kettleing (ie boiling the water because its not circulating)
reason it wont fire when you tried it the second time is because the overheat stat has kicked in. Could be a couple of things boiler could be airlocked or pump is not circulating. Try tapping the pump with a hammer a few times, also take out the central silver screw cap and see if the shaft is actually turning.

Pump should run for a while after the boiler has shut down (pump overun) pump is wired from circuit board in boiler.

there should be a valve either side of the pump which in theory you can isolate to remove the pump without draining down, but in practise they're usually shagged.

U2U me with your number if you like, and i'll try to explain a bit better. I do this for a living BTW

Al.

Originally posted by russbost
Last night central heating & water system started making horrible banging noises in pipes, sounded like tons of trapped air. Banging was so bad it actually started a minor leak by the pump, I thought something was going to explode!!! Obviously shut the system down, tried bleeding air out of everywhere I could think of, left it overnight & tentatively started up again this morning, as soon as the boiler fired, horrible banging noises in pipes again. Tried again just running hot water, no heating, boiler didn't fire but pump appeared to be running, left like that for a while, no noises, but boiler still not fired, pump seemed to be very very hot, tried heating again, boiler still doesn't fire. Turned everything off including turning thermostat down, but pump still appeares to be running (humming) only way I can turn pump off is to cut mains power to the pump/boiler.
System is Potterton Suprima 80 with separate hot tank about 8-9 years old.
I can't get a plumber anywhere, I'm guessing the pump is Bolloxed? Am I right & how hard a job to change - where do i drain the system down from?
Any help greatly appreciated!

[Edited on 16/12/06 by Wadders]

russbost

posted on 16/12/06 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
Many thanx for all the info - defo looks like the pump will be attempting replacement of same shortly! Pleas keep an eye on the thread - I may need further assistance!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Peteff

posted on 16/12/06 at 04:13 PM Reply With Quote
Is it an old system with a header tank? If so check in the loft to see if it has any water in it. If the ballcock has stuck shut it could be drying out.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

russbost

posted on 16/12/06 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
All sorted, new pump & isolator valves installed, system flushed & bled up with Fernox installed, everything all up & running - warm house with hot water, happy wife & kids! Only took a couple of hours - dread to imagine what a plumber would have charged, had I been able to get hold of one!

Again many thanx for all the info, I feel this Forum is absolutely brilliant for this sort of thing - it's not just car stuff that causes people problems.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.