Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: thingy in the boot - a silly question
SierraL_killer

posted on 20/12/06 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
thingy in the boot - a silly question

Hello, im stripping my sierra donor and ive found a thingy in the boot where the spare tyre goes. Its wired up to the fuel pump and appears to have a switch on it - what is it and will i need to keep it?
Cheers

mcerd1

posted on 20/12/06 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
Its the crash/ impact cut-off for the pump
02GF74

posted on 20/12/06 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
wiring for the flux capacitor?
Bluemoon

posted on 20/12/06 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
might be wrong but I think it's the boot lid switch (i.e for a boot light), and it shares and earth with the fuel sender/pump

[Edited on 20/12/06 by Bluemoon]

nludkin

posted on 20/12/06 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
It's an inertia switch... In the event of a crash, it breaks the circuit and stops the fuel pump. You can then press the white switch on top to reset it and allow everything to work again. I don't believe it is essential to fit one for SVA, however, I have wired one into my car for safety.
mcerd1

posted on 20/12/06 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
I've heard of people bumping it when taking the spare out - then wondering why the car won't start
the_fbi

posted on 20/12/06 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
I believe for fuel injected cars its required for SVA.
goodall

posted on 20/12/06 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
there was one on our old xr3i took the whole efi kit of the engine, the cpu and the fuel pump out and replaced it with the same stuff from a donor car still the car didn't work, turns out it was this swtich which none of us knew even existed as you can imagine we felt like the right idiots after doing all this. its just abit of wireing if i were you i would fit it just to be on the safe side if not for the sva just in case you do have a accident
vinny1275

posted on 20/12/06 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I've heard of people bumping it when taking the spare out - then wondering why the car won't start

Did this a few times in swmbo's dad's V6 Cossie powered sierra. After every track day, we'd lob the slicks in the boot, drive off, get about 100 yards, then (cough,splutter, die)....

20 seconds scratching heads, then ahhh yeh, I remember....

The even funnier thing is, that when I *did* crash the car (quarry at Castle Combe), it kept running. The body damage put paid to the rest of the day tho......

romer

posted on 20/12/06 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
One of our motor club members had an early injection car.
He had an accident one weekend (nothing to do with an event) and the car was totaly engulfed with fire. I believe it was before those switches were standard fitment and the pump was just feeding the fire . . . . . . . . . . we now have a named trophy in his memory.

My suggestion, if you can, fit it - it may not be for a tin top, but if you unconscious (sp?) . . . . dread the thought!

robertst

posted on 20/12/06 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
but obviously it doesnt work with a mechanical fuel pump? so it is rather pointless to haveit if you have a carb engine, unless you have changed the mech pump for an electric one...

Tom

the_fbi

posted on 20/12/06 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by robertst
but obviously it doesnt work with a mechanical fuel pump? so it is rather pointless to haveit if you have a carb engine, unless you have changed the mech pump for an electric one...

Or you have a BEC

snapper

posted on 20/12/06 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
Inertia switches will cut the power to anything in the event of a big stop, so you could wisely use it to cut the spark, or the whole electrical system.
No spark, no engine go round,no mechanical fuel pump.
I did think about about the oil presure switch as a cut off but in the event of a big off your ass may be on fire with the engine still having enough go to fuel your own personal barbeque

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.