Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ZX14 Crate Motors
G.Man

posted on 21/12/06 at 02:38 PM Reply With Quote
ZX14 Crate Motors

Brand New $6295 complete with wiring, thrttle bodies etc...

About the same price as a used busa motor... lol

http://www.muzzys.com/ZX14/ZX14_engines/index.html

Opinions are like backsides..
Everyone has one, nobody wants to hear it and only other peoples stink!

Hammerhead

posted on 21/12/06 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
good price considering the current $2 to £1 (ish) exchange rate.

I guess shipping would be quite pricey and also the vat that customs would want.

still worth it though.

G.Man

posted on 21/12/06 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
Help towards getting an 07 plate

PAUL FISHER

posted on 21/12/06 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
Add about 25% on for shipping and vat etc,then it don't work out that cheap.
Malc at yorkshire engines has got one with less than 100miles on, complete with running gear,for about £3000,delivered,now thats a bargain.

Humbug

posted on 21/12/06 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
IIRC, there will be shipping, VAT and duty (additional tax)... plus No Warranty. Personally, I would prefer to deal with someone somewhere I could go and get things sorted out if necessary (nothing against Yanks per se, just buying something at that distance/cost means there is not much you can do if it doesn't turn out OK)
G.Man

posted on 21/12/06 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Humbug
IIRC, there will be shipping, VAT and duty (additional tax)... plus No Warranty. Personally, I would prefer to deal with someone somewhere I could go and get things sorted out if necessary (nothing against Yanks per se, just buying something at that distance/cost means there is not much you can do if it doesn't turn out OK)

So find someone in the UK doing brand new cate zx14 motors...

Simon

posted on 21/12/06 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
No brain either from what I understood from the ad

ATB

Simon

Peteff

posted on 21/12/06 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
At today's rate on xe.com

6,295.00 USD
United States Dollars = 3,208.47 GBP.

Get 'em while they're hot.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

bike_power

posted on 24/12/06 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
Still rather have a busa - more potential and stronger internals.
G.Man

posted on 24/12/06 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry what do you base that on?

Both over 300bhp start needing upgraded internals..

And as most people will be keeping their bec motors standard, why not start with a better brand new motor

bike_power

posted on 24/12/06 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by G.Man
Sorry what do you base that on?

Both over 300bhp start needing upgraded internals..

And as most people will be keeping their bec motors standard, why not start with a better brand new motor

It's not better. What makes you think it's better ? How do you judge what's best ? Some n/a peak HP figure means one engine is better than another ?

Take a look at the clutch, the crank, the gearbox . . . in the busa it's all stronger, the ZX14 is probably a nice bike but a top transplant it's not. There has been problems with the cases flexing with turbo power, people will get there eventually but it's fundamentally not as strong as a busa out of the box.

If you want a stock engine then get an R1, third of the price of a ZX14 or even a GSXR1000. The ZX14 doesn't give you anywhere near enough extra to warrant the extra cost. (other than pub talk peak hp)

G.Man

posted on 24/12/06 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
Bike_Power

You are completely missing the point...

Better, I mean its new, brand new... it has way more torque than an R1 and a Busa... Both need uprated clutches, the busa needs an uprated starter assembly and dry sumping, the zx14 doesnt...

Yes cases can flex under turbo power, but as I say again, whats the percentage of turbo'd becs compared to stock? And most case flex is down to inadequate mounting strength in situ, virtually no bec engine mountings I have seen are adequate to prevent case flex on a bike engine... yes they hit all the mounting points, but most are insuficiently braced to do much other than actually hold the motor in place...

I know of more turbo'd Busa's exploding than anything else, they still need uprated cranks, rods, pistons, etc for the big horsepower... as standard, both are more than adequate for our applications, indeed, the busa does have a much stronger crank, but it still gets replaced for the big horse applications...

A good Low mileage busa motor from a wrecked bike will still cost more than this motor will NEW out of a crate..

And a new motor, is the ONLY way to get a brand new registration number... so can you tell me where we get a BRAND NEW BUSA crate motor for a brand new registration please?

And if we wanna talk about faults, lets talk about the R1 gearboxes, massive extra strain on BECS, and they are fragile on the bikes! GSXR 1000, nightmare throttle position sensors, constanly going out of adjustment... Having said that, you can at least do away with the secondary butterflies on a BEC application...

As for the zx14 clutch, gearbox, etc, its a very different beast to the zx12, and doesnt have half the problems of that engine, but I am sure you have some examples and aren't just regurgitating the same old zx12/busa arguements of old, right?

The fact of the matter is that there is no better motor out there to run stock in a BEC, there may be more economical choices if you want to save money, and there may be better options if you want to turbocharge... But if you want the best stock motor, best torque, best horsepower, enough to mean half a second a lap in an equivalent application, then the zx14 is cheaper... or you can get it brand new for the same price as a second hand busa...

The choice is yours, you stick with your Busa if that's what you want, I have provided an alternative for others who want something different....

PS you know the difference between potential and reality dont you...

Ask your sister and your mother if they would sleep with brad pitt for £1m..

If they say yes, potentially you have £2m, but in reality they are just whores

Happy christmas

the moa 2

posted on 24/12/06 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote

Did "G.Man" just call "Bike_power's" Mother and sister whores.

G.Man

posted on 24/12/06 at 11:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by the moa 2

Did "G.Man" just call "Bike_power's" Mother and sister whores.

LOL

No its just an old joke about potential and reality...

oddsaabs

posted on 25/12/06 at 12:13 AM Reply With Quote
The potential of the zx14 motor should not be taken lightly. The Busa is a proven runner in lots of applications, but the new "14" has power and torque capabilities that are jaw dropping for a 200# lump. This is a brand new bike, so aftermarket developers are just now tapping the abilities of this motor. CC racing there in the UK is doing amazing stuff with a huge turbo (building for a speed run) and both ATP and Mr. Turbo here in the States are introducing new stage I street systems that are producing some amazing numbers with small amounts of boost.

The FIRST dyno run for the new Mr. Turbo system produced nearly 270 HP and over 150 #torque with just 5 lbs of boost! Last time I checked it takes way more boost than that for a busa to make that kind of HP, and forget about the torque! See: http://www.zx14.net/publicforum/index.php?topic=518.80

Just imagine the power the motor could make with a turbo installation that isn’t hampered by the small confines of a motorcycle. That same 5# of boost could generate some scary numbers with an intercooler and proper tuning.

zxrlocost

posted on 25/12/06 at 11:41 PM Reply With Quote
your all talking about modding the engines already etc etc

WTF would the thing go like as it is standard bit scary i reckon

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

bike_power

posted on 25/12/06 at 11:42 PM Reply With Quote
Ohhh, looks like I hit a nerve with Mrs G Man Keep your knickers on

The flexing has nothing at all to do with how the engine is mounted, it's to do with how the crank is secured within the engine, how the cases mate and are secured. The busa crank also flexes but there are known fixes for the problem, will those fixes work with the zx14 ? Who knows ? People like big cc will find out I'm sure but for now, it's unknown. Will the barels cope with the increased cylinder pressure ? Will the crank take the power ? All unknown but with the busa the answer to all these questions is yes. Low risk.

Too many unknowns for the zx14 to be the ideal engine and worth spending all that cash on. If you're happy to spend best part of £2k extra to get 30bhp more than the R1 is delivering for £1200 or so, then fine, but that's not good value in my book. A full busa kit is now £2200-£2500 and that gives 175bhp, spend £1k extra and you get 190ish bhp if you build it yourself (bolt in pistons, cams, timing) and you've still got the strength and reliability that's built into and proven with the busa.

Even if all you want is to keep the engine stock, who knows yet how it will stand up to 10 track days and 10,000 miles of road use. The R1 and busa will be fine. I'm not keen on the R1 to be honest but as a cheap engine that deliveres good power it's difficult to beat.

Anyway, I don't have a sister and my mother would be very surprised to hear such an ugly man talking about her like that

bike_power

posted on 25/12/06 at 11:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zxrlocost
your all talking about modding the engines already etc etc

WTF would the thing go like as it is standard bit scary i reckon

Feels fast the first time you drive it, then over a few weeks it feels slower and slower and after a couple of months you need more power Always need more power, it's a never ending process.

zxrlocost

posted on 26/12/06 at 12:12 AM Reply With Quote
not after spending three grand I wouldnt

r1 is good for money

hayabusa is good as you can leave it in a higher gear to pull away from equivalent cars ie a blade bec

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

G.Man

posted on 26/12/06 at 08:10 AM Reply With Quote
And still you havent mentioned where you can get brand new crate R1 or Busa motors for..

Like I said, this was posted for people who might be looking to build a brand new car, on an 07 registration... if you want a second hand zx14, they can be had far cheaper than the Busa...

So bike power, if you are gonna compare like for like, try doing it on a level playing field..

Malc will do a full zx14 kit, low mileage, for far less than the £2.5k you are quoting for a Busa....

As for 30bhp, the late model r1 delivers all that BHP due to rpm, its torque I am interested in, the zx12r already beat the BUSA in both columns, the zx14 takes that even further...

BTW, rather be ugly than dumb

zxrlocost

posted on 26/12/06 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
full zx14 kit for far less than 2.5k???

Hellfire

posted on 26/12/06 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
Cheapest ZZR 1400 engine I've seen on here was £3,000 from Malc at Yorkshire Engines

Phil

zxrlocost

posted on 26/12/06 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
how big are they

surely there going to stick out upwards and downwards a bit

take it there going to need dry sumping aswell?

Hellfire

posted on 26/12/06 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
Sizes as follows (From one of Malcs previous posts)

height top to sump /block face 17 inch
including sump pan 21 inch (sump is all at sprocket end)
width 20 inch
length 16 inch

And from one of G-Mans comments earlier in this thread, the ZZR1400 doesn't require dry sumping.

Phil

G.Man

posted on 26/12/06 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zxrlocost
full zx14 kit for far less than 2.5k???

That may be my mistake then, I was told £2200

<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.