Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Which DVD camcorder please?
romer

posted on 27/12/06 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
Which DVD camcorder please?

Hi Guys,
Seasons greetings to you all.

I'm looking to get a digital camcorder probably in the sales, but have never looked into them before.
I wondered what the pros/cons are with the different formats - mini DVD, HDD or Flash card.
Battery life?
Low light capabilities?
Reliability?

I suppose just about any comments you can give me please to help me decide.

It will mainly be used for normal run-of-the-mill type of videoing ie family (my partner is due to give birth in Feb), holidays and some motorsport as well (but unlikely to be in-car).

Appreciate any comments anyone can leave.

Cheers

thunderace

posted on 27/12/06 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
whitch mag says there not very good and to buy a standard camcorder.
Tiger Super Six

posted on 27/12/06 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
A mate works in an electric's shop and says the ones with a hard drive have problems if dropped - the hard drive stops working and you lose everything on it!!

HTH

Mark

Tiger Avon

zenarcher

posted on 27/12/06 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
I would go for a Mini DV cam myself at the moment if I were you. As with most things you get the quality you pay for. Stick to known brands and have a read here.........

AV FORUMS

[Edited on 27/12/06 by zenarcher]

nige

posted on 27/12/06 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
camcorder

ive just bought a panasonic mini dv
forget exact numbers ns27 i think
got a firewire card for pc with lead off
flea bay for a tenner
30x otical zoom
steady mode
night mode
light and easy to use
£160
just the job for occasional use

when you start this journey
you think it will be done in " no " time but then " no " turns into a " bloody " long time

Hellfire

posted on 27/12/06 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
I have a Panasonic VDR-M30 DVD Camcorder. Picture quality is exceptional, sound quality is too. On camera editing is very good. Each clip can be merged with another giving one file - each clip can be exported as an mpg (via USB-2) in a number of various screen resolutions. Accessing files and disc navigation are again excellent. The DVD-RAM discs are pricey but very reliable under normal use. You can add software to your PC to allow the DVD-RAM's to be inserted into the PC for editing but I have never done this. You can insert a mini DVD for direct recording to this but obviously it is not re-writable.
The only downside is that I would not use it to record in any vibration scenrios (in-car) for obvious reasons.
I've had this camera now for 3 years - it has been faultless and flawless. It cost me about £300 at the time from Tenerife.

There are a few bad reviews out there but they are all operator based not camera faults.

If you like to edit (read: make perfect) your films DVD is the way to go. Otherwise I would choose MiniDV aswell...

Steve

[Edited on 27-12-06 by Hellfire]

damien

posted on 27/12/06 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
ive got a sony dcr-dvd7e

ive had nothing but problems with it since day one, they battery only lasts about 40 mins, the disc only hold about 30min, the zoom is noisey, the touch screen isnt very touchy more like a forceful push and it dont like running unbranded dvd discs.

theres some clips i done from my track days useing the dvd camera on you tube
or for a larger file they are on my webbie

the HD ones cost far too much at the moment.

i would look for a nice DV camera if i was you.

richardR1

posted on 27/12/06 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
I have just ordered a Sony DCR-HC96E mini DV camcorder. Did a lot of research and basically came to the conclusion that mini DV was still the format to go for at the moment as you don't lose quality due to image compression that seems to be an issue with HD and DVD. I also want to use mine with an additional bullet cam (in-car and skiing) so needed the AV input that the Sony offers. Jessops have it listed at £650 but purelygadgets.co.uk and ebuyer.com do it for £368.

MK Owners Club Member 1015

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.