Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: SVA Here We Come !!
RazMan

posted on 27/12/06 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
SVA Here We Come !!

ooooer it looks like the day is nearly here. Two years of building and the car is finished (as far as anyone can say anyway) and the Christmas holiday has given me a chance to get everything ready for SVA.

As I am fairly certain it will fail the first test, I thought I might as well just take it along with everything fitted the way I wanted, then come back with the fail sheet and deal with every point until it is ready for the retest.

Points I am sure it will fail on are:

Windows - 'sharp' edges everywhere
Doors - not sure if my electrical door release are ok (no mechanical release)
Steering Wheel - Momo jobbie but the alluminium spokes will have a rubber pad 'permanently' fixed with cable ties.

I suppose I could always remove doors and windows so that they are not tested

[Edited on 27-12-06 by RazMan] Rescued attachment IMG_2362.jpg
Rescued attachment IMG_2362.jpg

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RazMan

posted on 27/12/06 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
Here's a shot of the doors & windows opened. Rescued attachment IMG_2355.jpg
Rescued attachment IMG_2355.jpg

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RazMan

posted on 27/12/06 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
and another Rescued attachment IMG_2352.jpg
Rescued attachment IMG_2352.jpg

Cheers,
Raz

RazMan

posted on 27/12/06 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
An arty shot Rescued attachment IMG_2356.jpg
Rescued attachment IMG_2356.jpg

Cheers,
Raz

zxrlocost

posted on 27/12/06 at 04:14 PM Reply With Quote
Dude I am Very Very Impressed

you should be proud of the moment

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

MkIndy7

posted on 27/12/06 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
That looks V.nice

Seems a strange mentality if your pretty sure it'll fail on those items not to try and do something about them.

For the door release could you not connect a pull cable to where it attatches to the actuator so it would pass the SVA?

And maybe fit the edeging you've got to make a water/wind tight seal on the doors.. to the windows instead or as well as?

[Edited on 27/12/06 by MkIndy7]

RazMan

posted on 27/12/06 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
Its not so much the seals but the gas struts really - they are quite small radius and the brackets are a bit pointy too. Difficult to cover these for a permanent fix.
In the closed position everything is ok and I am not sure if Mr SVA tests them open or closed.

I'm not too bothered about the windows as they are designed to be removable during good weather.

[Edited on 27-12-06 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

suparuss

posted on 27/12/06 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
i can see where he is coming from, while ive been building ive come across lots of things i know will not cause a problem in normal use but might not be what the sva man see's as ideal. and when youve designed and built the entire car from scratch there are a quite a few things so its probably best to just do it how you think is best and see if sva man passes it because if he doesnt fail it on one thing hes bound to fail it on something so you are probably going to have to back anyway.
so you are better off with a list of stuff you know needs fixing than spending time on stuff that might not need fixing.

razzman- what have you used for the clear stuff in the side windows? oh and the car looks very nice!

Russ.

wilkingj

posted on 27/12/06 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
Nice one... Looks good.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

Humbug

posted on 27/12/06 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
Looks the dog's 80||ocks, mate!

Re the sharp edges, etc. could you either take the gas struts off for SVA and claim that you just have to lift and hold them open, or remove the windows completely for SVA. That way, if they don't like your electric-only door locks, you can tell him the emergency exit is through the open space?

Good luck

RazMan

posted on 27/12/06 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by suparuss
... so you are better off with a list of stuff you know needs fixing than spending time on stuff that might not need fixing.

Exactly my thoughts Russ - it is bound to fail on a few minor points (hopefully nothing too serious) so I might as well be sure of what I need to fix rather than speculate.

quote:
Originally posted by suparuss
razzman- what have you used for the clear stuff in the side windows?

It is tinted polycarbonate which was heated and moulded to fit the shape. You can't see from the pics but they are compound curves and not just flat sheets formed round a curve. I used tinted stuff to try and stop me cooking in the summer (if I cant be bothered to remove them)

Cheers,
Raz

RazMan

posted on 27/12/06 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Humbug
... or remove the windows completely for SVA. That way, if they don't like your electric-only door locks, you can tell him the emergency exit is through the open space?

Excellent idea !! It might just work too - although I might need a block & tackle to get out of the car

Cheers,
Raz

matt.c

posted on 27/12/06 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
Very well done

Looks the nuts!

Alan B

posted on 27/12/06 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
Nice job mate...you should be rightly proud of it.....

Good luck with the SVA

Alan

David Jenkins

posted on 27/12/06 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
If I remember correctly, the SVA man tests with the car in "driving condition", i.e. with the doors shut. After all, if you have a crash (heaven forbid) then that's when the sharp edges become a concern. Open the doors on a Ford or Vauxhall and see what edges appear!

David

BTW: Looking good!

quote:
Originally posted by RazMan
Its not so much the seals but the gas struts really - they are quite small radius and the brackets are a bit pointy too. Difficult to cover these for a permanent fix.
In the closed position everything is ok and I am not sure if Mr SVA tests them open or closed.

[Edited on 27/12/06 by David Jenkins]

mookaloid

posted on 27/12/06 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
That car looks just fantastic....

You have done a great job there

Good luck with the SVA

Cheers

Mark

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

Aboardman

posted on 27/12/06 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
have you double checked the sva manual regarding doors and the fitment of .

a. Check each driver/passenger entrance/exit
door fitted to the side of the vehicle, has a
latch mechanism with both intermediate and
fully latched positions, unless the door is fitted
with a safety bolt and operational warning
device (see item 5).
b. Check by visual assessment that each door
latch/striker mechanism fitted to a hinged door
is capable of withstanding a load of approx
30kgf (66lbf) in both the intermediate and fully
latched positions
NOTE: A door fitted with a safety bolt with an
operational audible warning device need only
meet this requirement with the bolt in the
secured (locked) position.

or remove the doors.

robinj66

posted on 27/12/06 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
Don't think you'l have any problem with the doors having electricaly activated locks - i saw a Pilgrim Sumo at newark 2 years ao that got through the SVA with no handles etc - just a hidden button to open the locks.

Radius on the gas rams might be a problem - can't you use silicon sealant to deal with any sharp edges?

Really fantastic looking machine BTW - I stand in awe!

RazMan

posted on 27/12/06 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aboardman
have you double checked the sva manual regarding doors and the fitment of ......

Yep, I am confident the doors tick all the boxes (bear claw latches). It is just the windows that have a single slam latch - I will probably fit an over centre catch on the inside to prevent losing the windows at speed ....... which might be distracting

Cheers,
Raz

RazMan

posted on 27/12/06 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by robinj66
Don't think you'l have any problem with the doors having electricaly activated locks - i saw a Pilgrim Sumo at newark 2 years ao that got through the SVA with no handles etc - just a hidden button to open the locks.

That's encouraging - I might just remove the windows then (along with the gas struts) and hope for the best

Cheers,
Raz

Schrodinger

posted on 28/12/06 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
Raz
I'm not sure where you will be taking your car for SVA, I have used Norwich a couple of times and they were very helpful, but if you get the chance why don't you drop in to the centre with the photo's and ask their advice? My experience with Norwich would suggest that they would be more than happy to help and that they didn't have the attitude that "nobody passes first time" while appreciating the effort that you go to to build the car.

BTW a fantastic motor

[Edited on 28/12/06 by Schrodinger]

RazMan

posted on 28/12/06 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the tip I will be going to the Gillingham test centre for my SVA. This is mainly due to their familiarity with the Aeon cars (just down the road from them)
Maybe a phone call would clarify a few points but I am quite prepared for a fail on some other (hopefully minor) points so I won't be too disappointed.

Cheers,
Raz

Middy Tim

posted on 28/12/06 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't be terribly worried about the lack of a mechanical door latch. Unless the SVA has a problem with the new Corvettes that is. Not a single mechanical latch on the thing, all buttons.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.