Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Get building
PAULD

posted on 28/12/06 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
Get building

Out driving my locost yesterday I realized that it had been on the road for five years. its a single donor (cortina) car, has a standard 1600 pinto, cost about £1800 to build and I've enjoyed every mile in it. So for those of you out there thinking about starting a car and aren't worried about huge performance don't be put off by the pinto knockers or by worries about things like bump steer (my rack is too high but i've never noticed any), buy the book, read peoples basic advice on this site and get building!
force10

posted on 28/12/06 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
Here Here that man, top advice!
I always say the most important thing is to get the car on the road as quick as possible and start enjoying it, lifes too short.
Then each winter when you lay it up in the garage with it all wrapped up cosey with soft soothing music for it in the background you can plan your improvements.
New dash layout, quicker rack, different couloured seats/carpets, new engine etc etc etc.
You could spend years planning a build then years building it and then just get bored with the whole thing and sell it on ebay before you've even driven it and that would a criminal shame indeed!
Build gentlemen build.
Thanks.
FT.

DavidM

posted on 28/12/06 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
Absolutely, get it on the road and upgrade later. I've done 1582 miles in mine since 1st June and loved every minute.

It's only a 1300 crossflow but when pushed it'll still scare the pants off the uninitiated, and even with more power it wouldn't corner any faster.

Mine's also a bit rough round the edges, but it gives it a bit of character, and makes it all the more usable.

Get them built!

David

DIY Si

posted on 28/12/06 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
Even though I cheated and brought mine, it gets very little in the way of TLC, as I'm too busy driving it! Only washed it once, lost the exhaust end piece and am now loosing all the wadding and rapidly burning a hole in the wheel arch! But hey, flames are goods for you!

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

scutter

posted on 28/12/06 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
Granted I took my time getting on
the road (5 years), but the list i've got to change is growing a quite a rate, they're only small things but it all adds up.

But after covering 11000 miles in the first 15 months the grins not faded.

So my upgrades are being done in an unpowered garage, but the harder you work the warmer you'll keep

Get building Dan.

The less I worked, the more i liked it.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.