Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Desperately Seeking I.T. Help
Hellfire

posted on 29/12/06 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
Desperately Seeking I.T. Help

After recent scares about Windows XP security issues I have been installing all of the latest Upgrades.

I have Windows XP Pro SP1 and the updates were quite extensive to say the least.

After the Upgrades I got the messages to REBOOT, which I did. Now the bloody thing won't start up properly!

It boots up in SAFE mode only, it will not boot up SAFE with NETWORKING enabled. Therefore I am suspecting it is a Networking issue...

When in SAFE MODE I cannot uninstall any of the Network applications. Therefore I am in a position of seeking help with this one. Although I am not adverse to ripping it apart and making registry things I suspect I may have to access things in a different way now, this is the first time anythiung like this has happened to my system. I need the Networking side as I am currently using a WEP Network at home.

Any help to resolve this issue would be really appreciated as I am now resorting to the Laptop for a while.

I am going to try to start/repair from the CD for now until I learn of anything better to do from any of you guys...

TIA - Steve

[Edited on 29-12-06 by Hellfire]

Alfa145

posted on 29/12/06 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
When booted in safe mode open Add/Remove programs and tick the "Show Update" option at the top.

Scroll through and see if you can find any networking update that you may have applied and see if you can remove it

Catpuss

posted on 29/12/06 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
You should be able to remove each update one at a time from add/remove programs (control pannel)

Tick the show updated option and remove them one at a time based on install date (i.e. latest first).

If you have a check point set then you could roll back to prior to the update.

You could also try removing the hardware via control pannel system in safe mode.
This way it will try to find new drivers. Useful if its a driver that has knackered the set up. In safe mode its a little more thorough sometimes when removing a driver.

The other option is to open up the PC and remove any network cards (assuming your network ports are on cards not mother board), or disable them via the BIOS (if they are motherboard based).

RichardK

posted on 29/12/06 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
As said before, safe mode and go into control panel and check the box at the top which shows updates and the time and date, remove them one by one to find to culprit or if you can't be arsed doing that use system restore to go back in time, "Start, Programs, Accesories, System Tools, System Restore.

Would only try doing the install cd thing really as a last resort.

Regards

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Hellfire

posted on 29/12/06 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
OK... it's like this.

I'm still no further forward. My version of Control Panel does not have the top tab showing updates (?)

I've also tried doing a System Restore for a yesterday, never worked. Day before, never worked. I'm up to 5 days ago and having little luck - the message it is saying is simply that it cannot restore to this date and to try a different date.

I have tried to remove the latest Microsh!t Network 1.1 and 2.0 updates shown in my Control Panel. However, it says I cannot remove in Safe Mode... great!!!

It is currently restoring back to 1 week ago but I don't hold much hope. My XP CD is out and ready to try a repair using this... maybe it is time I backed up everything on my second drive?

I haven't tried a network disable yet... I'll try that before I do! Don't you just love Microsh!t software....

Incedentally - on boot up it goes through normal procedure with the Windows Pro moving blue blocks then a very brief BLUE SCREEN OF DOOM flashs up before resetting... could it be a virus?

Steve

[Edited on 29-12-06 by Hellfire]

ecosse

posted on 29/12/06 at 11:10 PM Reply With Quote
Try a logged boot, should be available from the boot menu, it will write a file to the root of the drive.
Check this file after booting with logging set and see what the last driver loaded is, chances are this will be what is causing the problem.
Although it does sound a bit like the network card driver is the cause, you could try disabling it in devices and reboot.

Cheers

Alex

Hellfire

posted on 30/12/06 at 12:09 AM Reply With Quote
Have not got a network card... the only thing I have changed is update XP!

Right, I am writing on my newly re-written XP OS and everything is ok. There were a few illegitimate .dll's on intial startup and I'm working to find what they were for.

However, when XP updates I think it must update antivirus files and as such conflicted with my AVG installation. I'm assuming this due to my anti-virus software crashing upon successive boots... after re-installing my AVS everything is tickety-boo. My Network is working correctly with no alterations etc... thanks for the advice chaps. Your help although not helpful in the slightest I have learned a little bit more about this confounded machine. TBH I love messing about with trivial things anyway - thats how I ended up builinding my own car...

Many thanks - Steve

Hellfire

posted on 30/12/06 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
New developments I'm afraid...

After re-installing my New XP Original without my Anitivirus Software updating again... it's bombed out on me again!

What is it with these updates???? I'm considering not bothering at all... it's causing me so much hassle.

Right, so I re-installed XP back to basics again.... when it boots up it gives me errors to do with some .dll's these are some of them:

msdaosp.dll
msdaora.dll
msdaaps.dll

I know its a Microsh!t Data Access file but what does it do?

Your help would be appreciated pleeaase... Steve

ecosse

posted on 30/12/06 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
While the update process will occasionally cause problems its rare to see it cause what you are describing!
And unfortunately XP without the updates applied would not be something I would like to use.

The dll's you have listed are used by any program requiring ODBC connectivity, and are installed by default, possibly the updated (service pack version) is not compatible with a program you have installed, or is possibly corrupted?
Its hard to say without more info

What are the exact errors relating to the dll's?

Cheers

Alex
PS
I should have said network device maybe, as you obvously connect via something

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.