Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: steel tube
novacaine

posted on 14/1/07 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
steel tube

what are peoples opinions on this?

i could :

a) spend many hours in the gararge cutting steel tubes which will probably be quite innacurate, but free

or

B) pay my local steel stockholder to cut the tubes and label them with thier compound mitre CNC bandsaw which is accurate to +/- 0.5% at a price of 10p/ cut

from the stockholders i can get enough RHS to make the chassis for a couple of quid over £60 which from what i can tell is quite cheap so what should i do? seeing as i am building a low cost locost should i go for the hacksaw method or should i take the easy, but not too expensive route of getting the tubes cut for me?

cheers

Matt

[Edited on 14/1/07 by novacaine]

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun but its sinking, Racing around to come up behind you again, the sun is the same in a relative way but your older, shorter of breath and one day closer to death

Avoneer

posted on 14/1/07 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
Hacksaw wins hands down every time.

You will cock some up and need to replace some and measurements will change - even if it's only slightly.

Every chassis is unique and ever so slightly different.

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Marcus

posted on 14/1/07 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
It's simple to be a couple of mm out when making the chassis, rendering all book measurements obsolete. Make the base of the chassis, then cut the rest of the tubes to suit. Avoids book errors this way too.

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ecosse

I would go for the supplied and cut route, but only if they can guarantee the length accuracy as well as the angle accuracy.
Otherwise buy yourself a chopsaw and do it yourself

Cheers

Alex

Middy Tim

If you have the funds, by all means, go for the pre-cut sections. I'm all for having my cuts be equal and square, even if it does cost a little bit more.
Marcus

posted on 14/1/07 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
Is that a record, 5 replies inside a minute!

[Edited on 14/1/07 by Marcus]

[Edited on 14/1/07 by Marcus]

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

meany

posted on 14/1/07 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
cut them yourself in pairs as you go along.
thats what i did.
save the money for something else.

just my opinion

big_wasa

posted on 14/1/07 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
With out a jig and experiance of making a few chassis I would say cut the tubes one at a time as you need them.

peterparsons

posted on 14/1/07 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
Hacksaw - no way - do it yourself but -

I'd use a grinder with a cutting disk - electric is cheeper than sweat....

The Baron

posted on 14/1/07 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
I purchased one of those gadgets which convert’s your 9 inch angle grinder into a chop saw.

Top investrement, even if I did have to refurbish it come the end

The Baron

emsfactory

posted on 14/1/07 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
I had a steel shop cut mine the first time.
I had to re-do a lot myself as the errors popped up.
I would just do it myself now. Start at the bottom and work up. You'll feel more proud when you finnish it the more you do yourself.

Confused but excited.

posted on 14/1/07 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
10p per cut? You lucky b........d.
My nearest stockholder charges a £1.00 per cut!

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

RazMan

posted on 14/1/07 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
At 10p a cut it would be rude to not do it ..... providing you have double checked all your measurements and then double checked again.
Otherwise I would buy a reasonable chop saw and do it myself - extra job satisfaction value

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

hillbillyracer

posted on 14/1/07 at 11:10 PM Reply With Quote
At 10p per cut it'd be a good option but how accurate is their work? If you dont realise that they've cocked up for a couple of weeks I cant see you getting anything out of them.
I've got myself a cheap chopsaw for when I eventually get other jobs out of the way.

Simon

posted on 14/1/07 at 11:48 PM Reply With Quote
Do it yourself (with a hacksaw, 10 - 15 seconds per square cut by hand). The book inaccuracies will add up to one monumental fup with all tubes cut in advance.

Do it properly - start at the bottom and cut as you build, starting with the obvious.

Make front frame first (that's the front lower and upper and two sides (4 pieces)), then lower perimeter, tunnel base, side uprights, top, then the awkward ones.

Make sure all pieces can be clamped to the building board. Hold verticals in place with magnetic holders when tacking and double check before welding. Diagonal measuring after every few pieces have been tacked.

Or buy one

ATB

Simon

James

posted on 15/1/07 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
For someone with (IIRC) only £1200 to spend on the car in the first place I'm surpised you're asking the question!

As the others have said, it's hard to get an accurate cut list in advance so just download the McSorley plans.

Having said that... I'd do it myself. Burn calories (lose weight) and keep warm in a cold garage! It also sounds like you need to learn to cut straight!

And if you can't.... do you really trust yourself to build the rest of the car? You sure you don't want to order a chassis? The time you'll save you could get a part time job to pay for a kit!

HTH,
James

[Edited on 15/1/07 by James]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

Syd Bridge

posted on 15/1/07 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
You may end up with a few armfuls of near useless tubes.

Remember, if their machine is as accurate as you state, the output will only be as accurate as the dimensions you give them.

As many put above; redraw it yourself and get ALL the dimensions accurate, before letting a computer controlled machine loose on the cutting.

Cheers,
Syd.

MikeRJ

posted on 15/1/07 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
Personaly I wouldn't I get my chassis tubes pre-cut as you will have very limited adjustmenet available to compensate for tolerances, i.e. you can only make the tubes shorter not longer.

Whatever you do, certainly do not get a cutting list from the book otherwise you will end up with a pile of scrap metal.

Using a decent quality hacksaw 16 gauge ERW can be cut quickly and accurately, even the compound cuts are easy once you learn to mark out the end of the tube and cut one face at a time. If you want truly locost and you don't already posess a suitable chop saw then it's the only way to go.

Alan B

posted on 15/1/07 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
I'd be very sceptical that for 10p a cut someone is going to read every drawing and program every angled cut and end up with a good set of tubes.

As they like to say over here...ain't gonna happen

Also, 0.5% works out at 2mm on a piece 400mm long...not very good IMO

Just IMO of course.

trogdor

posted on 16/1/07 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
man i am glad we didn't get to this stage, we were building a locost about when the first edition came out, must be getting on 10 years now, we cut the tubes to the lengths the book said but didn't get to the welding stage, kinda glad we didn't would of sucked abit to find all that work was useless

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.