Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Non-ladder frame cobra?
jlparsons

posted on 24/1/07 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
Non-ladder frame cobra?

Purely an idle speculation, this one - anyone seen a cobra kit that's not based on a ladder frame? Seems there's a lot of space that you could maybe make more use of to make a lighter or stiffer chassis. Maybe a spaceframe or one that uses the body sections as stressed members?

Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Some assembly required. Batteries not included. Contents may settle during shipment. Use only as directed. No other warranty expressed or implied. Do not use while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment. Subject to approval, terms and conditions apply. Apply only to affected area. For recreational use only. All models over 18 years of age. No user-serviceable parts inside. Subject to change. As seen on TV. One size fits all. May contain nuts. Slippery when wet. For office use only. Edited for television. Keep cool; process promptly.

timmy

posted on 24/1/07 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
But the body is fibreglass isn't it??
I don't think you can't stress that unless your name is Colin Chapman.....

And spaceframes become problematic when you start introducing doors. One of the reasons (apparently) why the gullwing SLR merc of old had such weird doors.

I would investigate a backbone chassis a-la Lotus Elan/Europa for something like a Cobra.

jlparsons

posted on 24/1/07 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
i know some kits use aly bodies, and i've seen some other replicas that used stressed grp. I'm guessing that required a lot of investment and prototyping.

I'm with you on the doors issue, but could you use more of a 3d structure fore and aft to attach to the backbone/sill girders?

Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Some assembly required. Batteries not included. Contents may settle during shipment. Use only as directed. No other warranty expressed or implied. Do not use while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment. Subject to approval, terms and conditions apply. Apply only to affected area. For recreational use only. All models over 18 years of age. No user-serviceable parts inside. Subject to change. As seen on TV. One size fits all. May contain nuts. Slippery when wet. For office use only. Edited for television. Keep cool; process promptly.

ed_crouch

posted on 24/1/07 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
TVRs use a backbone chassis design to great effect. Note that most competition TVRs (including the race Tuscans) have big, labyrinth-like rollcages: its more about stiffenss (handling) than safety!

Ed.

You always lose stiffness by not having a steel roof over you.

Ed.

I-iii-iii-iii-ts ME!

Hurrah.

www.wings-and-wheels.net

rsk289locost
Junior Builder

Posts 61
Registered 24/5/05

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Resurrecting, slowly, a 289 Cobra I built years ag

posted on 24/1/07 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
Gardner Douglas use a TVR/Lotus style backbone with a stressed body. http://www.gdcars.com/images/gallery/gd427/DSC00009_JPG_gd427.jpg
Catpuss

posted on 24/1/07 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
The pilgrim one from "A car is born" uses a galvanised welded tub and the Sierra "swinging arms" as rear suspension.
jlparsons

posted on 24/1/07 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ed_crouch
TVRs use a backbone chassis design to great effect. Note that most competition TVRs (including the race Tuscans) have big, labyrinth-like rollcages: its more about stiffenss (handling) than safety!

Ed.

You always lose stiffness by not having a steel roof over you.

Ed.

That rollcage idea is what I'm pondering for my locost - integral rollcage, slanted A-pillars joined to the chassis rails thorugh the scuttle with an hourglass shaped backbone joined to the rear rollbar. Should be a lot stiffer and safer for road use, is the plan. Been done a few times and looks pretty good I think.

That Garner Douglas looks good, think I've seen that one before. Instrinct would nag me to sit in the chassis rather than in a GRP structure mounted to it though. Might be a touch fragile in a side-swipe?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.