Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Lumiweld alternative
gregs

posted on 26/1/07 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
Lumiweld alternative

All,

Have found a slightly cheaper version of Lumiweld (sounds rather similar from the descriptions) - but is available in bigger packs, thus saving a few quid over Frost prices if you use a lot of it - 10 rod kit is £19.28 inc postage - frost would be £25 before postage.

Haven't tried it yet myself, but thought it may be useful to someone! - http://www.easyweld.com/store.cfm/did/28/Durafix-Easyweld-Rods

jonno

posted on 26/1/07 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
just watched the demo video, looks quite impressive. Is it really that easy to use ?
givemethebighammer

posted on 26/1/07 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
on small stuff yes, but bigger stuff will need a decent torch, a blow torch (even with mapp) gas can't put enough heat in.
gregs

posted on 26/1/07 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
haven't used it myself, but seeing the video gives me confidence that it's not a total non-starter..... gets a bit rediclious with the 'harder than base metal' bit ! There are quite a few here who have used Lumiweld, so assuming it is similar...
BenB

posted on 26/1/07 at 11:25 PM Reply With Quote
Looks very similar to Technoweld (but possibly cheaper)... impressive stuff, though you have to be careful as ali is such a good transmitter of heat you can't make one weld and then make another on the same piece of metal without temporary rivets or similar to hold everything in place.. you tend to find when making the last weld everything goes floppy and your masterpiece collapses....
RazMan

posted on 26/1/07 at 11:25 PM Reply With Quote
I saw the demo at one of the show stands last year and it looks impressive. Its no substitute for Tig but for non structural ally 'welds' it is a good alternative.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Steve Lovelock

posted on 27/1/07 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
I have used lumiweld and been grateful for it. I thought I saw something similar in B&Q being sold in packs of 2 a few weeks back. I was a little miffed as I had just ordered a second set from Frosts and only used 1 rod!

Check out B&Q - tools section in with all the welding and soldering stuff which seems to be aimed at plumbers.

BenB

posted on 27/1/07 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
The stuff @ B+Q is (or was at least when I bought some) a red flux coated ali brazing rod. Tried using it loads of times and never got it to work properly.....
Lumiweld looks the same as technoweld... Good stuff.

coozer

posted on 27/1/07 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
I tried Lumiweld but got no results, I'll stick with the gas bottles...

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

cossey
Contributor

Posts 430
Registered 5/12/05
Location Kent

Photo Archive Go!
Building: a pile of bits that will someday be a fisher fury

posted on 28/1/07 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
i used some this morning to "weld" a boss onto a inlet manifold (made from tigged sheet) and im fairly impressed, i was using a big plumbers propane torch with the big 19kg cylinders so heat wasnt a problem. the finished result is very tidy and a million times better than the tig welds on the rest of it done by our useless welding guy at uni (called teflon)
02GF74

posted on 29/1/07 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gregs
gets a bit rediclious with the 'harder than base metal' bit !

why is that ridiculous? Aluminium is very soft so if alloying it with some other stuff rto made it harder shouldn't be outside the realms of possibility?

I have use the stuff - it need a lot of heat.

On small items it is strong but on a larger pice (land rover tailgate) as the piece cooled, the tension in the metal pulled the join apart.

Also used it to replace metal lost due to corrosion in a thermostat houseing.

Simon

posted on 31/1/07 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
Right, watched the vid on the site, and bought a blowtorch, brush and 5 sticks.

Tried the can like demo chap and it really is that easy.

Got some 1.5mm angle ally and a bit of 1.5mm flat ally and "welded" them together, left to cool, then took hammer to it.

Make up your own minds, but I'm impressed. You can see it coming away in a couple of places, but I reckon that was cos I hadn't followed the instructions to wire brush while heating.

ATB

Simon

[Edited on 31/1/07 by Simon]

RazMan

posted on 31/1/07 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
Similar to the demo I watched at Detling last year - the guy handed me the angle that he 'welded' and told me to try and break it with two pairs of pliers ..... I couldn't.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
thomas4age

posted on 5/3/07 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
Hey all,

I have obtained a set of 10 rods of the dutch importer of easyweld (durafix) bought a buthane/propane burner,
made a nice cup off coffee and tried it this morning.

I takes a while before you get the hang of it, use the brush a lot and heat the material, don't put the rod into the flame.

when cooled of I could not break it of with my bare hands, and that was only 15mm of soldering on 2 pieces of 20mm 90degrees angle alluminium bonded together in length! after 3 up and down bends with the other end in a vice it finally gave way, my hand still hurts.

I will try and make a set of manifolds with this stuff and see what hapens, it's at least twice as strong as I expected. and cheap!

grtz Thomas

If Lucas made guns, Wars wouldn't start either.

matt_gsxr

posted on 2/4/07 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
Lumiweld-» Brush fire

Got some of this stuff for the first time.

Sorting out a cut down sump, and it seems to work for me quite nicely. Pretty pleased as I am new to this.

Popped the whole thing on a gas ring (wife is away at the moment) and propane torch on the regions of interest.

I have one problem. You brush while heating, fine, but the brush (in the kit I got) was made of plywood!
I don't have much brush left and had some minor fires.

Any top tips on
1) how to avoid the brush catching light
2) where to get a new brush from!

Matt

Peteff

posted on 2/4/07 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
We used Lumiweld years ago to fix a fairing lug on a bike frame and it worked well. There's a new version called HTS 2000 , looks similar but I haven't used it.

[Edited on 2/4/07 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

matt_gsxr

posted on 2/4/07 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
2 brushes for £3.50 including postage.

I guess I am not the first person to fry their brush!

I've looked at the videos again, heat from the other side while brushing seems to be the answer!

Matt

thomas4age

posted on 3/4/07 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
you're not supposed to have the brush in the flame, but put flame on the material and heat it up then brush the put ion flame again then brush again. etc etc etc.

works for me, haven't got even black spots on the brush.

though it should go wrong any moment now.... knowng myself hahaha!

grtz Thomas

ps: come to think about it, this morning I putt new smoke detectors in our house.... was that my subconsious speaking??? Oh no!

If Lucas made guns, Wars wouldn't start either.

matt_gsxr

posted on 3/4/07 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
yeah you are right.

I remembered the video wrongly, and in the excitement of the moment got carried away.

Hopefully the next 2 brushes will last longer.

Thank the lord I haven't tried welding!

matt

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.