Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Im a bit depressed realy...
novacaine

posted on 27/1/07 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
Im a bit depressed realy...

if you look in my profile you will discover that i am 15. i have completed various projects such as a peugeot engined single seater.

i was going to build a locost in the garage at home with my parents and to begin with they were in support of the idea but when it came to actualy start the project, out came the comments like "its not going to be safe" and "you dont have the skills to build it" and "you dont have the money" the last two are rather incorrect a) ive done a simmilar projects before that i saw to the end and B) ive got £1500 in the bank now and i get £50 a week on my weekend job. given the fact is going to take a fair few years to build so if i stick to the "locost" philosophy i should be ok

so now im not allowed to build one... as the title says: im a bit depressed about it all

i dont realy know why ive posted this lol

matt

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun but its sinking, Racing around to come up behind you again, the sun is the same in a relative way but your older, shorter of breath and one day closer to death

JoelP

posted on 27/1/07 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
these are little hurdles that non believers throw in your way. Do not let them get you down. You can do anything (technically not, at least til you move out!)

Just plan and plan, and argue/haggle with them!

novacaine

posted on 27/1/07 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
the annoying thing is they say i can build a kit but i havent got the money for that lol

matt

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun but its sinking, Racing around to come up behind you again, the sun is the same in a relative way but your older, shorter of breath and one day closer to death

David Jenkins

posted on 27/1/07 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
Plan B:

Spend the next few years collecting all the bits to make your car - refurbish them, generally make them ready, rebuild an engine, and so on.

When the time comes, you'll have everything you need to make a really good job, and will have learnt a lot in the process.

Don't lose the enthusiasm - just re-direct it!

David

novacaine

posted on 27/1/07 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
Plan B:

Spend the next few years collecting all the bits to make your car - refurbish them, generally make them ready, rebuild an engine, and so on.

David

I like that idea, never thought of that strangely enought lol

thanks

Matt

procomp

posted on 27/1/07 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
Hi one thing your parents cant argue with is you trying to further your education.

And by building from scratch you will learn far more than by just building a kit with a build mannual.

May also be woth showing them this site to show that there are plenty of people also doing the same thing and that theere is a sanctury to ask questions and recive answers from people who will have already come across all the problems you may encounter.

cheers matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Kev99

posted on 27/1/07 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
Cant u buy a part built one and then strip it right down and rebuild it how u want.

I would think they don't trust u welding one and getting the geometry right

Wadders

posted on 27/1/07 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
They might come round if you find a mentor, i.e someone to oversee the project and give your parents reassurance that what your doing is safe and up to standard, If you can find someone local, that has actually built a roadworthy car, your folks might see the project in a different light. Maybe someone on this list can help?
Maybe they're actually worried about you devoting time to car building rather than exams etc?
Al.

Originally posted by novacaine
the annoying thing is they say i can build a kit but i havent got the money for that lol

matt

novacaine

posted on 27/1/07 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
i got a link through this site to a guy fairly local to me selling a chassis, 1.3 xflow and a type 9 geatbox for £180 on eBay

suspension brakets already welded

but they still said no,

novacaine

posted on 27/1/07 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
i told my parents that i would put the project on hold around exam time so i got the grades but im not exactley stuggling with my grades i average A to A* with little or no revison so on that front i realy cant see why they would object,

the idea about the "mentor" is great, im almost certain that if someone would be willing to oversee my project they would let me go ahead.

ill make a new post to see if anyone local to me has build, thanks for the tip

Matt

iank

posted on 27/1/07 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
Since they are ok with a kit, but not something you've welded up yourself I'd suggest getting yourself on a welding course. Presuming you do ok you get a certificate that shows you can weld safely - drag them along to the last class and hopefully you can get the instructor to tell them you are up to the job.

If they won't bite (and I suspect if they are anything like my parents the idea of a kit will start attracting similar comments when you tell them you're about to order) there isn't much you can do beyond taking David's advise and getting everything ready to go.

p.s. a chassis welded by a monkey would have been safer than some of the mini's I owned whilst young

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

procomp

posted on 27/1/07 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
If it's a safty issue with this type of car there are plenty of video's on the net of some horendeous crashes with people walking away with no injury's.

Also if they are woried about you using it on the road then possibly try the tack of building one purley for trackday use wich would also make it a lot cheaper to build as only the bare basics are required. Except for transporting it to a trackday.

Not to mention they could also have fun using it on trackdays and all without the worry of ussing it on the unsafe roads if that is there point.

cheers matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
novacaine

posted on 27/1/07 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iank
p.s. a chassis welded by a monkey would have been safer than some of the mini's I owned whilst young

strangley enough they recomended to me instead of building a locost i restore a mini, which they said would be safer lol

but i like the idea about going on a welding course, can you think of the kind of place i could go, my local college offers courses but they cost £450 which will pretty much desimate my budget

thanks

Matt

roadrunner

posted on 27/1/07 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
And ,you can tell your dad ,that when you've finished , he can be the first to drive it.
Have a word with Tom Windmill , only just 17 , and on his second Indy, with a little help from dad.
But i would be patient, you've obviously got the drive and some of the skills needed, but age is against you, save up your money, then when your 16 , you can say your building your first car. Good luck.

[Edited on 27/1/07 by roadrunner]

donut

posted on 27/1/07 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
15 years old and he earns more than me!!

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

andyharding

posted on 27/1/07 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
I'm in Werrington and built a my Locost from scratch as my 2nd welding project (1st project was a trolley for the welder).

I'm more than happy to come and round and show your folks what a kid with a welder is capable of

Screen1
Screen1

Installed 1
Installed 1

Are you a Mac user or a retard?

novacaine

posted on 27/1/07 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
andy, that would be brilliant, i'll have a word with the ol' parents and i may well be sending you a U2U in the near future, thanks ever so much

Matt

iank

posted on 27/1/07 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by novacaine

but i like the idea about going on a welding course, can you think of the kind of place i could go, my local college offers courses but they cost £450 which will pretty much desimate my budget

thanks

Matt

Hmmm, my local college is free for under 18s.
http://www.gateshead.ac.uk/factsheet.asp?id=12&cid=24855

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

MikeR

posted on 27/1/07 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
Have you bought the book? It was written by a bloke who used to run a course at a high school / college.

Now if i was your parent i'd have lots of worries about you doing this. Some of them are,

its not safe - nope, it certainly aint, someones posted tonight on how he's burnt / cut himself. Prove to them your responsible (no idea how) and can be trusted not to hurt yourself.

you'll build something that isn't safe. Get them to read the book - its realitively safe if you know what your doing with a welder, so , learn to weld, get certified (good skill to have and it gives you something to fall back on, perhaps summer jobs between university academic years - that should impress them).

You'll change your mind in 6 months and they'll be left with a garage full of crap. Sorry, you'll have to persuade them on this one. Seriously, you're doing it locost so expect this to take YEARS. A lot of people have been building for a long time, i'm on year 6! what where you doing 3 years ago, what did you want to do with your life? Are you really that dedicated? I certainly wasn't at 15 and i can't remember anyone who was.

You'll make it and drive like a nutter and kill yourself. Again, on your own here a bit, but you could maybe do a deal, summer only car, small engine (for now). Explain to them, that when you've finished (around your 18th birthday) you'll have all girls gagging for a ride - which is your motivation.

1500 pounds isn't a lot to build a locost, but it is do'able. I suspect another worry is ALL your money is going to go into the car. No more new clothes for the next few years, no going out, no discos, crisps, magazines. When you get to 17 / 18 no first holiday with your mates. You just won't have the cash. So think of all the stuff you've bought in the last year - do you really want NONE of it?

Do they have any past history to base their worries on, what happend to the single seater? (and lets see some pics)

Ok, ok, i'm being harsh, but i'm trying to present views your parents probably have. Hopefully you're open minded enough to read this and think - i can see there concerns. You then have to seriously think about them and make a LONG TERM decision.

At the end of the day - remember this, your parents feed and protect you. Don't p*ss them off too much & there are often ways around the problem. Ever through of buying an old banger, doing it up and selling it for profit? Helps show your parents you're responsible (it would have to pass MOT), have the interest, make you some money (and not cost too much from the start), teach you lots of skills and maybe help convince them in 6 months when you still want to build the locost and just happen to have an engine / gearbox / steering column / diff in the back of the garage that .... maybe father and son should do something together

MikeR

posted on 27/1/07 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
My welding course cost 80 pounds.

I know this all seems tough, but your parents honestly have your best interests at heart. This doesn't mean they are right but as i've grown older its surprised me to realise often they are

hillbillyracer

posted on 27/1/07 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iank

I was in a Mini club when I had my first car, a Minivan & some of the heaps of junk that members with little mechanical ability drove were abysmal. Take a good look at most chavved Saxos, Novas etc & the situation has only got worse. Your Locost will have to pass an SVA test so will have to be safe whichever route you take to build it. If you do up an old Mini or whatever even if your work is top notch how do you know that other work done before you got it is OK?
If a knowledgable copper got a good look at half the cars modded by young lads he would run out of prohibition notices in short time!

novacaine

posted on 27/1/07 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
MikeR,

to be honest, the harsher, the better, if i can see all the possible problems i can think of solutions to them. as for the idea of not having any spare money, i can put up with that to a certain extent but to "supplement" my income i am working on an eCommerce website, selling car performance parts, (like nitrous that i previously posted about) and some chavvy parts unfortunatley but i hope that it makes some money.

it has been said and i know that they've only got my best interests at heart and i can fully understand thier concerns, i now just have to find a way to perswade them to change their minds, i may well be 15 but im not realy the kind of person that stamps their feet, swears (general teenager sterotype) just to get my own way.

when im 16 i hope to get some more hours down the shops to get even more money.

as for the single seater, ill try to get some pics, it was a school project with my mates after school, i dont know if school has sold it yet but if they havent i'll try to get some pics. i cant actualy belive i havent taken any...

[Edited on 27/1/07 by novacaine]

ayoungman

posted on 27/1/07 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
hello, I'll just put my school teacher hat on for a minute. You clearly are a great chap who is keen to get on with things.
If you intend to go into the world of automotive engineering later in life, building a kit would be a great advantage to you. Spend your money on buying and rebuilding your main components that you'll need for your build.
I totally agree with the welding courses, many will be free to people your age.
Don't get the balance between kit building and school studies wrong. If you work hard, it could lead you into further education courses and higher degree courses. Many forum members have done exactly that. Good luck with your folks, they are thinking of your future i'm sure
If I lived closer to you, I would happily offer assistance.

"just like that !"

novacaine

posted on 27/1/07 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
oh and yes, i do have the book, and the McSorely plans, ive got the new book on order and i have got the book chassis in an FEA to make some improvements

novacaine

posted on 27/1/07 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
ive called the college up previously and it seems that if i wait until im 16 (march) i can take the courses for free.

i wanted a career in engineering/metallurgy, i have been on work experience at Mercedes-Benz High Performance Engines (the place that makes the F1 engines) i was positioned in the design section for a week and the metallurgy section for a week and it was incredible, i watched on of the engines on the dyno, i cant belive how good they are...im going back there in june time too

well im getting side tracked a bit there lol

Matt

[Edited on 27/1/07 by novacaine]

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.