Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  4    5    6    7    8    9    10  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Locost exterior design
dnmalc

posted on 3/3/07 at 08:36 AM Reply With Quote
Great reading I love the side and rear quarter views, do you have a full on rear.
As to the front I support what has been said about the scoops and projector lamps but for me the lower air intakes let down the effect. Have you considered making the end of those eliptical rather than the inverted trapezoid you currrently have.

Gaz 1977

posted on 3/3/07 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
locost design

Thanks for that. I have not managed to get the rear done yet, I am having enough problems with the rest of it.

I want to get the sides resolved before starting the rear but i hope to have some images by the middle of next week.

As for the lights i will have a good play next week. (i cant work on the model at the weekends as it is locked up at the uni due to health safety. I need supervision just incase i eat some clay)

I agree with you on the lower vents and they have been changed now though they still are not quite right. The vents in the pics are square because at the time i was making the front symetrical and corners are easier to measure.

I am going to do a bit of photoshoping today and try and resolve the design a little.

Thanks.

GAZ

ChrisGamlin

posted on 3/3/07 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
The head clearance behind the driver looks a little tight to me but might just be the picture, I dont think you'll get an effective rollbar in there as well though will you?

One other thing, make sure you leave sufficient bonnet height for popular engines, the front half of the bonnet line looks quite low and it would be a shame if you needed to spoil the look with bonnet bulges / holes in order to get a decent engine in there.

cheers

Chris

[Edited on 3/3/07 by ChrisGamlin]

Gaz 1977

posted on 3/3/07 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
locost design

Hi Chris, You might well be right about the roll bar, I will have to move the roof back a little.

I have fitted a 2lt zetec in the scale model of the chassis and i have allowed 70mm of clearance over the top of the motor so that i am covered for the current pedestrian safety legislation.

Thanks.

GAZ Rescued attachment chassis.jpg
Rescued attachment chassis.jpg

Gaz 1977

posted on 3/3/07 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
locost design

I built a solid foam model of the chassis onto which i put the clay, the advantage of doing this is that if i hit foam when carving the clay i know that I have gone too far and in theory i know that the fibreglass body will fit.

Thanks again

GAZ Rescued attachment foam.jpg
Rescued attachment foam.jpg

Gaz 1977

posted on 4/3/07 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
locost design

well i have been busy on the old photoshop. I have stuck some elise lights on it, i will have a play with lights in the air intakes from a different view.

Anyone got any ideas on what colour it should be?

[Edited on 4/3/07 by Gaz 1977] Rescued attachment 3 march ft 34 flat small.jpg
Rescued attachment 3 march ft 34 flat small.jpg

David Jenkins

posted on 4/3/07 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
Not much wrong with the colour you've picked - metallic bluish-grey.

I like Toyota's metallic blue, or Rover's metallic red, but I'm not sure how they'd suit your car. A sporty car always looks good in red, though.

DJ

Gaz 1977

posted on 4/3/07 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
here you go David. Rescued attachment 3 march ft 34 flat small red.jpg
Rescued attachment 3 march ft 34 flat small red.jpg

qwertyuiop

posted on 4/3/07 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
cool design

hello there gaz some beatuiful work going on!
just my interpretation try if possible with your constraints to push the design a bit further for more wow factor, sorry to be a bit harsh but try push harder, keep up the top work id like to see a full size one,
check out my rossa corsa version Rescued attachment ferraro ttemp.jpg
Rescued attachment ferraro ttemp.jpg

qwertyuiop

posted on 4/3/07 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
final message

third time lucky! sorry for big image size here is the scaled one sorry again Rescued attachment ferralfa2.jpg
Rescued attachment ferralfa2.jpg

ChrisGamlin

posted on 4/3/07 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
Maybe editing/deleting the post with the HUUUGE image might help things?

Gaz 1977

posted on 4/3/07 at 10:57 PM Reply With Quote
Qwertyuiop,

Thank you for the suggestions for my design. Just a few things I'd like to ask back:

As I am trying to refine my design, can you explain the bits of your suggestions, and why you think they are an improvement?

I don't know how much of the thread you have looked at, but my design is an attempt to make a design which people can create on an existing locost chassis - So importantly, it has to be feasible! I know that i have to make it interesting, but things like the glass in the doors comprimises this aim slightly!

Also, I know I showed a red version of my design, but it is supposed to be unique. Did you think it looked too much like an Alfa? If so, I just wondered why.

Any comments are welcome,

Cheers,

Gaz

Pezza

posted on 4/3/07 at 11:19 PM Reply With Quote
I reckon it looks great pal
If it'd fir on an Indy chassis i'd have one like a shot

You couldn't pwn your way out of a wet paper bag, with "PWN ME!!" written on it, from the "pwned take-away" which originally contained one portion of chicken tikka pwnsala and the obligatory free pwnpadom.

oadamo

posted on 5/3/07 at 12:12 AM Reply With Quote
its looking very good id go for the old suicide doors just for something a bit diffrent and prob make it easyer to get out of. and you could use prespex for the windows so you can use what shape you want and keep costs down
if you do make some full size ones ill buy one. how much ?

Gaz 1977

posted on 5/3/07 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
locost design

Thanks Chaps,

The door idea could be interesting,

The front screen is from a SMART Roadster and I think you are right in that the other glass should be perspex. I will have a look into using a production rear screen as it might be nice to have it heated.

As for cost, so far the model has a one quarter scale price.

I have already blown the budget on the haynes book.

Mr Whippy

posted on 5/3/07 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
looking fab.

where's the wipers going? Am I going to have to drill some holes in the glass or are they going to lift up with the engine cover...oops

You know some black plastic vents for the demist wouldn't go amiss either.

There's only one colour that goes with that car, ferrari red...u know I'm right

a plastic loovered rear window like an F40 would be my choice and keep it light last thing it needs if a fat TVR butt. I think I'll start saving my pennies for this

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bartonp

posted on 5/3/07 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gaz 1977
Hi Chris, You might well be right about the roll bar, I will have to move the roof back a little.

I have fitted a 2lt zetec in the scale model of the chassis and i have allowed 70mm of clearance over the top of the motor so that i am covered for the current pedestrian safety legislation.

Thanks.

GAZ

WOW! What a big mug of tea....

Mr Whippy

posted on 5/3/07 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
almost as big as my tigger coffee mug I use to keep me awake at work
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Gaz 1977

posted on 5/3/07 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
locost design

as you might well have guessed i havent got as far a sorting the wipers yet. its hard to do modelmaking when you shake so much, what with all the coffee.

I must admit i am not a big fan of red, I have spent too much time T CUTing faded paint in the past.

I havent done much to the model today, just making it Symetrical.

Thanks for the comments

GAZ

David Jenkins

posted on 5/3/07 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gaz 1977
I must admit i am not a big fan of red,

I'll have to be Toyota's metallic blue then!

Gaz 1977

posted on 5/3/07 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
silly question i know but what kind of blue is it? What car is it on?

if i get an idea i will post a pic on here.

Thanks

GAZ

David Jenkins

posted on 5/3/07 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
It's a mid- to dark-blue - found on most of their cars.

Here's the best I can find on Google - I'm not sure if it's the Toyota colour, but it's the closest one I could find. It's not a colour that photographs well, but it's very striking when you stand next to a car in their showroom.

David

gottabedone

posted on 5/3/07 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
Hey Gaz,

A couple of thoughts for you:

As far as size goes, it seems that a lot of builders are making or buying their chassis oversize anyway. Could the +50mm chassis give you that little extra perspective wise. i.e. that little extra width will keep the car in proportion and still give you room for a roll bar etc.

If you have problems selecting a rear screen that matches your body shape then can you go the route of the pininfarina styled Peugeot 406 coupe and have a recessed rear window.

Colour is also very much down to personal preference and perception. People may hate a green car because an xyx they owned yars ago was a shed. Look at the two extremes of pearlescent paint - TVR and Nissan Micra. IMO Renault did a nice dark blue on the Meganes circa 2002.
Keep up the good work

regards

Steve

Gaz 1977

posted on 5/3/07 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
locost design

firstly, Nice blue David, i will sort it out and post it on here.

I see where you are coming from on the chassis width. The original idea was to follow the book chassis. Since then the new book has come out, (bugger) I think that might be wider but i am not sure, I will have to ask Chris. Unfortunately it is a bit late to change the chassis on the model but if/when i build it full size it would be a serious consideration. The model is a strange thing to photograph it looks wider in the flesh.

Thanks to everyone.

GAZ

Gaz 1977

posted on 5/3/07 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
What do you think of the blue one? Rescued attachment 3 march ft 34 BLUE DAVE.jpg
Rescued attachment 3 march ft 34 BLUE DAVE.jpg

<<  4    5    6    7    8    9    10  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.