Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Rock'N'Roll 2 Pembrey
racingdick

posted on 6/7/03 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
Rock'N'Roll 2 Pembrey

So whos gonna make the long drive to sunny south wales this weekend, well hopefully...

According to sources the Swansea Institute Locost will be driven by Pembrey Preformance Driving School Chief Instructor, Nigel Hughes rather than regular Bruno Viana.

Mark Benson

posted on 7/7/03 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
Hopefully - as long as my entry stuff comes through, I've had nothing so far.

Half day testing on Friday, then 2 races on Saturday. It's a long drive down to wooly Wales isn't it......

racingdick

posted on 8/7/03 at 07:28 AM Reply With Quote
it is, but thats motor racing!!

Im a Polo Smoothie. Red and White Stripes

ned

posted on 8/7/03 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

It's a long drive down to wooly Wales isn't it......

I would guess it depends where you're coming from!!

It was about 4 hours for us ealrier in the year when we were there. (coming from West Sussex)

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DickieB

posted on 9/7/03 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
Yep. I'll be there. No testing, just qualify and hope for the best!
Dickie B
http://www.TeamDickie.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DickieB

posted on 17/7/03 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
Which all worked rather well in the first race giving me 8th place. No comment on the 2nd race!!!
GParkes

posted on 18/7/03 at 07:36 AM Reply With Quote
Well done, that did work well. I was in the slower race and managed 6th in the first and 5th or 6th in the second, + I tested on Friday afternoon! I was quite happy though as it was only my second ever race! I thought Pembrey was a great track (once I started driving nearer the proper line and stopped spinning), definitely worth the drive!

Gavin

Rob Palin

posted on 18/7/03 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
Pembrey is definitely too far away. 205 miles for me!

My first race was a bit like Dickie's 2nd one i think. Screech, clunk, d'oh! Largely my fault though which was doubly annoying. Made some places back up before engine conked out... then magically restarted. Came 2nd to last in the end *sob*

2nd race much better with a careful and sensible 3rd. No podiums or trophies for us in the slow race though. Booo!

D Beddows

posted on 18/7/03 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
I have to stick up for Pembrey here - yes it's a long drive from almost anywhere especialy if you're towing a racecar as the roads there tend to go up and down a good bit - BUT the scenery is good while you're chugging up the hills (unlike Cadwell or Lydden) and once you get there the circuit is one of the best we go to to drive round, the hotels nearby are on the whole good, remarkably cheap and the locals are friendly and good company to have a pint with. If you don't go oce you are missing out and if you go once you will go back

On the other hand.......

Lydden - asylum seeker territory so the hotels/pubs/restaurants are crap, expensive and the locals are, well, lets face it hostile - the circuit is a hole and staying at the circuit will probaly involve camping on a 1 in 3 slope but no one ever seems to complain about it apart from me!

Silverstone - THE most boring circuit we go to, full of pipe smoking know it all Austin 7 drivers/owners or even worse 'I used to race an Austin 7 chubby in 1951 I see you're using an air filter, we used to get 1/4 of a horsepower running without one' type muppets, AND every drivers Grandmother/Aunty/3rd cousin twice removed - OK you have to race there once once but after that................

Get along to Pembrey

Mark Benson

posted on 22/7/03 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
To be fair - I went to Pembrey and had a top time.
Yes, it was a long way but what a good circuit! A 'little big' circuit, only 1.4 miles but a real bottle circuit as far as speed and cornering goes - and what a difference testing makes!
Friday afternoon spent testing and results would have been better if not for 2 spins - 1st race was 12th until the last lap, span and ended up 14th. Second race 10th on the grid (next to you Richard, hello again!) but spun on lap 2 down to 17th which I never recovered from.

So, if I can learn to drive, I should be a whole heap better!

Can't do Lydden as the tow car is my other half's and she's towing her nags with it.

Silverstone, went to watch last year, at Dave, it's so true.....

Raced a Locost for a couple of years, then bought an Elise.

Now back building a Fisher Fury, can't yet decide on V8 power (which I already have waiting to go in) or some kind of V6 (which I'd have to buy, when I can sell the Elise, if I sell the Elise).

I'm not the most decisive person in the world.

D Beddows

posted on 22/7/03 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
Silverstone..........rubbish rubbish rubbish, I hope that all of you new to Locost racing realise you'll be on the Club circuit which means you get the start finish straight and Copse as far as the GP or International (eg Touring cars) circuits go.....no Abbey, no complex nothing, just three boring straights and 3 boring corners.........

After having watched the GP on the tv this weekend the lap times they were doing on the full circuit weren't too far off Locost times on the club circuit......can anyone pursuade say Jordan (factory being just over the road and everything) to see how many Locosts they can beat in a 10 lap race with them on The GP circuit and us on the Club? I'd pay good money to see that

DickieB

posted on 22/7/03 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
Aaaah, but it's "Silverstone". All my friends will come and see me. Noone then. Will have to carefully edit the video footage to show the F1 Gp circuit bits only - might get repetitive.
Anyway, serious modifications planned between now and then - to the transit, not the Locost.

Mark Benson

posted on 23/7/03 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
As someone who is new to Locost racing, while I know Silverstone is boring etc. I don't really mind where we race as it's all still a big adventure for me. I'm sure I'll feel differently next year.

I wouldn't complain if they dropped Silverstone in favour of somewhere like Castle Combe though.....

Now back building a Fisher Fury, can't yet decide on V8 power (which I already have waiting to go in) or some kind of V6 (which I'd have to buy, when I can sell the Elise, if I sell the Elise).

DickieB

posted on 23/7/03 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
Mark
I agree with you on Castle Combe, also very local to me (or will be when I move next month!).
I have to say though that if any of my non-racing friends ask me about my motorsport then they look confused if I talk about anywhere other than Silverstone. By racing at Silverstone, our championship is automatically an important national championship in their eyes. Right or wrong, it's all they know.
Dickie B
http://www.TeamDickie.co.uk

ajullien

posted on 24/7/03 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
Pembrey, Snetterton & Castle Combe

Hi all,
Some good comments about Pembrey and i definately agree that it is a ballsy track. Our car felt like it was right on the limit (& sometimes past it) at most points around the track. Testing on friday was excellent.

If there is a serious feeling that we would like to do Combe instead of say Snett, if so I don't mind asking Robin to see if it is possible. Snetterton is just a bit too long and fast for Locosts really. I am sure that most of the other 750mc club cars would be okay with Combe??

Good to see lots of positive discussion, these boards go a bit stagnent sometimes!!

Alex J

Mark Benson

posted on 25/7/03 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ajullien
If there is a serious feeling that we would like to do Combe instead of say Snett, if so I don't mind asking Robin to see if it is possible. Snetterton is just a bit too long and fast for Locosts really. I am sure that most of the other 750mc club cars would be okay with Combe??

No harm in raising the issue, Combe is a good circuit, quite easy to drive round at 8/10ths, but quite difficult to get a good lap time, especially when you don't have big horsepower to push you out of corners.
Of course, being my local circuit I would be biased! I could charge B&B to some of the drivers too

D Beddows

posted on 25/7/03 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
Castle Combe tends to come up every year or so.......ask by all means but from experience I know what the answer will be - ie no, if it was a circuit that the 750MC raced at that Locosts didn't you'd stand a chance but otherwise.............I'd love to go to Croft and Rockingham too but that isn't going to happen either

Cheers

Dave

ajullien

posted on 30/7/03 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
Castle Combe??

Asked about Castle Combe and a Big Fat No was the answer! Apparently, tis not available for use. I guess it is fully scheduled.
Alex

Mark Benson

posted on 31/7/03 at 03:25 PM Reply With Quote
Well, you tried.

Cheers Alex.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.