FlansS14

posted on 20/2/07 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
Mounting the engine SOLID

has anyone mounted there's solid..

or is it a really stupid idea....

Why didn't i just make it simple!

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 20/2/07 at 01:59 PM Reply With Quote
lsdweb mounted his zetec solid in his seven, no major problems as i recall, it was a while back though

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

mackei23b

posted on 20/2/07 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
Hi there

I worked on a friends westfield he used to race. It had a 16v Vauxhall XE unit solid mounted with no issues.

Cheers

Ian

Agriv8

posted on 20/2/07 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
Mines solid ( and its a wobly V8 ) Wobles when sat still a bit but no problems on the move

Regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

Phil.J

posted on 20/2/07 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
I'd mount it in solid every time. Always done it this way with my racecars over the years and it has never been an issue. It's not like you are looking for a 'Rolls Royce' ride from your seven is it?
ATB
Phil

smart51

posted on 20/2/07 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
My bike engine is mounted solid. It seems just fine to me.
macnab

posted on 20/2/07 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
thats what I wanted to do but someone said it was a bad idea on a road car, even though the v6 is very smooth.

I want to feel the car!!

Gunner1

posted on 20/2/07 at 02:48 PM Reply With Quote
You can't argue with success, but I would have thought there would be two problems, welds cracking due to stress and bolts (and fillings) falling off due to vibration.
Mr Clive

posted on 20/2/07 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
it should be kinder to you exhaust system and anything else that is connected to both the engine and the chassis (such as the loom and water pipes) due to less movement between the two.

The only downside I can think of is an increase in vibration leading to more fastener failures. However if all fasteners are installed correctly, with decent locking methods, that can be negated.

macnab

posted on 20/2/07 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
as for the welds its a good point but I was hoping that the engine itself would increase the rigidity of the car being bolted to it. Though the chassis is lighter than the engine, well mine is, so I don't know it that would be an issue

macnab

posted on 20/2/07 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
as I mentioned previously my buggys engine is solid mounted and you really have no idea that it is, super smooth.

GazzaP

posted on 20/2/07 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
Where's the best place to get solid mtgs made then?

Regards

Gary

www.gmpmotorsport.co.uk

NS Dev

posted on 20/2/07 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
My class 9 grasser ran solid mounted engine (the one in my avatar) and the vibration at certain revs is incredible, despite it being pronounced "extremely smooth" on the rollers when previously flexibly mounted.

I mean vibrating enough to shear pop rivet heads off in some places every race, and crack the welds holding the screen mesh in place several times a season.

I think it is all to do with resonance, and it depends on all sorts of dimensions, but to give some idea, my screen mesh (1" x 1" 12 sgw weldmesh) which was secure enough that pulling and pushing the middle of it as hard as possible by hand yielded no more than 1mm movement, when at 6000 revs vibrated in and out by 25mm or so

It makes your eyes itch too!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

nick205

posted on 20/2/07 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NS Dev
My class 9 grasser ran solid mounted engine (the one in my avatar) and the vibration at certain revs is incredible, despite it being pronounced "extremely smooth" on the rollers when previously flexibly mounted.

I mean vibrating enough to shear pop rivet heads off in some places every race, and crack the welds holding the screen mesh in place several times a season.

I think it is all to do with resonance, and it depends on all sorts of dimensions, but to give some idea, my screen mesh (1" x 1" 12 sgw weldmesh) which was secure enough that pulling and pushing the middle of it as hard as possible by hand yielded no more than 1mm movement, when at 6000 revs vibrated in and out by 25mm or so

It makes your eyes itch too!

...but did it improve speed or traction etc over having it flexibly mounted?

FlansS14

posted on 20/2/07 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the comments guys. I was gettin worried after a friend (who worked for Caterham) said it would crack the welds in no time)

not that it really matters... you can just weld them up and add more gussets

bimbleuk

posted on 21/2/07 at 05:59 AM Reply With Quote
Maybe use a stiffer non-rubber mounting material so there is at least some de-coupling of the engine vibrations from the chassis. May cut down on the worst resonances.
MikeRJ

posted on 21/2/07 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
The question I would have to ask is why would you want to solid mount the enigne in a road car? Is it because you engine moves too much on the existsing mounts, or because of some idea that it would stiffen the chasis by doing so?
NS Dev

posted on 21/2/07 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
On my grasser I did it because space was so tight that there was no room for any engine movement in any direction.

Certainly wasn't done for performance reasons.

Also not when I say solid mounted, I mean as in bolted in directly metal to metal direct to the engine block and gearbox, no spacers plastic or otherwise!

It also meant I could make the rear chassis section lighter as the engine was semi-stressed.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

les

posted on 22/2/07 at 11:24 PM Reply With Quote
interesting thread,

I was looking at this as I have very little clearence, and wanted the ebgine as solid as possible-
its a bit wobbly on the rubber mounts!

any sva issues?

Jon Ison

posted on 23/2/07 at 05:53 AM Reply With Quote
Like above i have had several engines solid mounted in grass track chassis,

Pinto, BMC, RV8, Cosworth all cracked welds, when you put your foot down the engine tries its best too twist itself out of the chassis as well as turn the rear wheels.

Currently got the engine in the 7 on metalastic suspension bush's with no cracked mounts.

FlansS14

posted on 23/2/07 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote
What are metalastic suspension bush's

i take it the grass track car's get stick on the mounts from the engine "and" also from the jumps and bumps. ie up and down.

Liam

posted on 23/2/07 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
My engine's mounted on peugeot suspension bushes. Doesn't move but wont shake the chassis to bits. Cant see the point in totally solid mounting, you can stop it moving and still have vibration isolation. A small capacity beautifully engineered bike engine may be OK solid mounted, but with a 300bhp (??) turboed car engine you might get the kind of issues NSdev is describing.

Liam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tks

posted on 23/2/07 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
2cents

i think its the latency issue wich have the heavy flywheels...

imagine you give full throttle in 2nd
then loses the throttle and pushes clutch..

when idle is reached you release the clutch...
becaus of the fact your flywheel hasn“t energy in it it takes time (and allot of force) to spin it all up to road speed..

its here where you try to spin the engine instead of the crank...

thats the case where the rubber mounts move the engine taking away time/energy

to spin it up...

i never would mount something wich suchs a heavy driveline solid...
also there are no TRT tubes etc and in a bec there are..
(in fact the original bike has crush blocks in the rear sprocket assembly)

Tks

The above comments are always meant to be from the above persons perspective.

Simon

posted on 23/2/07 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
When I was looking into engine mountings for my R V8, someone (I thought it was Rorty, but a quick look in his p/a makes me think it was someone else) posted pics using the sa,e bushes as for suspension. Very neat, very strong and would absorb certain frequencies, even damp vibration sufficiently.

ATB

Simon

Mark Allanson

posted on 23/2/07 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
landrover engine mounts are almost solid, but do soak up any harmonics, they are £12 a pair and dead easy to fit, mine have done 2 years of use and are as good as when they were new Rescued attachment Column Shot.jpg
Rescued attachment Column Shot.jpg

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.