Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tintop problem
Humbug

posted on 27/2/07 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
Tintop problem

1999 VW Passat estate 1.8 petrol (non-turbo)

Symptoms: feels like driving with the handbrake slightly on, i.e. for any given speed, have to accelerate more and/or be in a lower gear.

Latest: going along the motorway with a steady throttle pedal, it will suddenly slow down a bit (say 5mph) for 5-20 seconds, then speed back up again.

Any ideas for things I could check before paying someone to clock up hours of investigation time?

Cheeyaz

macnab

posted on 27/2/07 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
have you checked if any of the wheels are getting hot. A sure sign that a brake is binding.

[Edited on 27/2/07 by macnab]

locoboy

posted on 27/2/07 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
Fuel pressure regulator/pump, possibly not managing to maintain pressure or regulate pressure consistently.

ATB
Locoboy

westf27

posted on 27/2/07 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
blocked exhaust?

bartonp

posted on 27/2/07 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
Forgot to unhitch trailer? (Look in rear view mirror)
MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Slowcost since 2000, speeduino since 2020, Caterha

posted on 27/2/07 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
if its light throttle, idle valve playing up / throttle body covered in oily deposits - i'm amazed the difference cleaning mine has made.

lambda sensor sending poor readings (although i'd expect the engine management light to be on for this)

I'd be tempted to agree with the fuel pressure suggestions.

If it was BMW i'd say when was it last serviced, heard from this forum that the engine automatically reduces power as it gets close to (or maybe goes past) service time.

russbost

posted on 27/2/07 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
Believe they are known for tps (throttle position sensor) problems, will cause slight hesitations, delayed pickup as throttle is applied - if it's this should always happen at around the same throttle openings but will not be revs dependant.

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Humbug

posted on 27/2/07 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by russbost
Believe they are known for tps (throttle position sensor) problems, will cause slight hesitations, delayed pickup as throttle is applied - if it's this should always happen at around the same throttle openings but will not be revs dependant.

Thanks all for the suggestions. Russbost - this sounds like the symptoms I am seeing - happens when I have the throttle pushed a fair way down, i.e. when accelerating, or when maintaining cruising speed. I will give the wheels a check just to see if it's the brakes, then back to the garage.

Edited to say that no warning lights are on

[Edited on 27/2/07 by Humbug]

britishtrident

posted on 27/2/07 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
Classic Fuel flow problem symptoms, ---- pump, filter, regulator, blockage in line, free floating debris in tank.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.