Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: BEC weight
CraigJ

posted on 27/2/07 at 02:36 PM Reply With Quote
BEC weight

whats the average weight for a road legal BEC locost?

worX

posted on 27/2/07 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
that depends on which company supplied the kit and how deep your pockets are...
I'm hoping for 430kilos wet...

[Edited on 27/2/07 by worX]

zxrlocost

posted on 27/2/07 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
wet weight r1 indy 460kg

youd be luck to see under 445kg

if you had live axle and cortina uprights 13" wheels etc etc you could get down to 410kg

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

locoboy

posted on 27/2/07 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
Realistic weight would be between 450 and 550Kgs,

Thats withough going mad and spending shed loads on carbon bits and bobs and lightweight brakes,

but similarly not putting in stuff you dont need, aeroscreen, seat padding, carpet, MDF dash, car rad when the bike one will do etc etc.

ATB
Locoboy

Toady1

posted on 27/2/07 at 03:25 PM Reply With Quote
well my pinto powered indy weighed in at 548kgs at SVA. So im hoping to save at least 100kgs by swapping to the blade engine.
G.Man

posted on 27/2/07 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
ZX12r powered vortx, full of 50litres fuel. 8 ltrs oil, cosworth 7.5 inch lsd, 540kg's

Thats accurately corner weighed...

Opinions are like backsides..
Everyone has one, nobody wants to hear it and only other peoples stink!

dilley

posted on 27/2/07 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
50litre fuel tank
macnab

posted on 27/2/07 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dilley
50litre fuel tank

maybe you like showing your car off at the filling stations.

ch1ll1

posted on 27/2/07 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
book chassis, zx9, 450kg wet ( full fuel tank )

[Edited on 27/2/07 by ch1ll1]

Bob C

posted on 27/2/07 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
440kg on the SVA rollers - fairly empty of fuel, but that's with comfy seats & the heaviest back end option (wishbone IRS).
Be more now it has a screen & more again when it gets wipers...
Bob

froggy

posted on 27/2/07 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
my kitten weighed 480kg with a full tank of fuel
BenB

posted on 27/2/07 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
530kg @ SVA with me sat in it..... and I'm not a Lightweight!!!
ChrisGamlin

posted on 27/2/07 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
My live axle book chassis with steel floor was corner weighted with about 1/3 tank (6-8L) of fuel at 437kgs, that was with the blade engine, FIA rollhoop, STM bodywork and aeroscreen, Cortina uprights, Wilwood 4 pot front brakes, stock rear drums, compomotive ML split rims (~4.5kgs / corner), 185/60-13 Yoko 32's and Westfield padded race seats.

I worked out the steel floor is between 6-8kgs heavier than an alu one, so there's savings to be made there. Equivalent size ACB10's are also 2-3kgs a corner lighter than A032's, and I now have R500 Tillet seats which are ~2kgs each lighter than a Westie seat, so I reckon with a few other mods such as an alu diff nose which saves a few kgs, I could get mine under 400kgs "wet" fairly easily.

[Edited on 27/2/07 by ChrisGamlin]

zxrlocost

posted on 27/2/07 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
that would be poo hot r1 400kg
PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

ChrisGamlin

posted on 27/2/07 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
Richard Miles' R1 Striker was a nice car, genuinely under 400kgs wet with over 140bhp at the wheels.

I did a couple of trackdays with him whilst he still had the car and it seemed to have the legs on my mate's Megabusa to the wrong side of 100mph, admittedly a car that weighed maybe 70kgs more though so not entirely unexpected.

[Edited on 27/2/07 by ChrisGamlin]

G.Man

posted on 27/2/07 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dilley
50litre fuel tank

Was originally gonna have a 2 litre cossie turbo with 450bhp, so needed a decent size tank...

Opinions are like backsides..
Everyone has one, nobody wants to hear it and only other peoples stink!

chockymonster

posted on 27/2/07 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
MNR Vortx RT+ - FI 2003 R1, GRP seats, 'Tina uprights, Raceleda 4 pot calipers, Caterham 8 spoke 13" alloys (4kg a corner) Toyo R888s, 20l of fuel - 433kg

PLEASE NOTE - Responses on Forum Threads may contain Sarcasm and may not be suitable for the hard of Thinking.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
birt

posted on 27/2/07 at 11:22 PM Reply With Quote
My ZX9R Phoenix (no reverse) weighed in at 422kg using professional corner weight scales with all fluids except fuel. The expensive light bits include Hi-Spec front and rear calipers, alloy front hubs, titanium drive-shafts and light-weight Caterham 13” wheels. The Intertrim Odyssey seats are quite light as well.

I am now changing the engine to a ZX10R, which is reportedly slightly lighter! I can believe it as well since it looks dinky compared to the ZX9R lump. I have also just bought some cheap second hand Raceleda alloy front uprights and some cheap second hand pro-tech shocks. I estimate these bit alone represent another 8 Kg saving and I am in discussion with a fibre-glass seat company about producing a seat that will fit the hideously narrow Phoenix/Striker chassis. This would shed another 4 Kg. Although it is starting to get a bit not-so-locost, I would like to think that I can get it down to 410Kg without too much expense. After that it would have to be magnesium wheels and a carbon prop-shaft which is taking it to the extreme a bit.

ChrisGamlin

posted on 28/2/07 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
Do you have the lightweight race bodywork birt?

As Ive got a Caged Phoenix chassis sitting in the garage awaiting building (eventually), Id be interested in what you end up doing about the seats, unfortunately the Caterham Tillet's Ive currently got in the Locost don't fit, at least not without cutting the leg support parts either side, to fit into where the passenger compartment narrows on the Phoenix.

birt

posted on 28/2/07 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
Chris,

I don't think it is the race bodywork, that is really flimsy if I remember and not advisable for road use. However, it is thinner and much lighter than Chris Cook's (on this forum) Sylva Phoenix bodywork. I know cos I helped him fit it and he helped me fit mine and his is really thick. Not so much of an issue for him thoguh since it has an XE lump in it.

I will keep you posted on the seats, I think they realise that if they make a good quality seat that fits the Phoenix/Striker that there could be many customers wanting them.

ChrisGamlin

posted on 28/2/07 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, I think I remember someone (maybe Ian Gray) saying there is 3 different thicknesses of bodywork, ranging from the very flimsy race stuff, then the intermediate weight, and finally the (possibly original) thickness GRP if you want to drive through brick walls unscathed

chrisf

posted on 1/3/07 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
Though a bit late to the conversation, my se7en corner-weighted at 924 lbs. This is a modified book build using Miata/MX-5 components. The car is street legal in the US.

--Thanks, Chris

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
birt

posted on 1/3/07 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chrisf
Though a bit late to the conversation, my se7en corner-weighted at 924 lbs.

That's just over 419Kg to the rest of us

That's pretty good going Chris, any 'special bits' required to get it that low?

birt

posted on 1/3/07 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
Chris, Just looking at your photo archive for any clues. It is a great looking car so don't take this the wrong way but the size of the roll bar and lack of bracing would have helped with the weight saving if not your head in a roll over situation. Have you opted for no screen whatsoever? If so, do you always wear a helmet?
chrisf

posted on 1/3/07 at 11:44 PM Reply With Quote
Hi:

That roll bar is the 1.5" and bent on a 3" radius--which is recommended by the SCCA. It is biased to the driver, but I got the idea from you lot. When I do a track day, I'll install a traditional rollbar.

Special bits...the miata wheels are very light, I run only 3 gallons of fuel, the rear suspension uses inboard R6 dampers, the GRP is pretty thin and I have carbon seats. Other than that, it's a pretty normal car. I see a lot more fancy cars on this forum.

Since thos pictures were taken, I have installed an aeroscreen that looks like ChrisG's. I also went to paddle shifters. Have a look at the website for more pics under my.build.

I was shooting for 1000lbs with driver...

--Chris

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.