Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: FORD ZETEC SE ENGINES
wildmoor

posted on 6/3/07 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
FORD ZETEC SE ENGINES

HI
IS ANYONE FITTING ONE OF THESE ENGINES IN THERE CARS

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RoadkillUK

posted on 6/3/07 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
NO

[Edited on 6/3/07 by RoadkillUK]

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
flak monkey

posted on 6/3/07 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
Plenty of people are using zetecs. Mainly the larger ones. Arent the SE ones the small zetecs fitted to the fiestas?

Turn caps lock off. Its not nice to shout.

[Edited on 6/3/07 by flak monkey]

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

ned

posted on 6/3/07 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
I know of one, why?

ps flakmonkey, the zetec se is the small alloy block engine, not the run of the mill iron block one.

Ned.

[Edited on 6/3/07 by ned]

beware, I've got yellow skin

scotty g

posted on 6/3/07 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
The smaller SE engine is a little beauty, i would love to use one in a kit, i believe that shawspeed do quite a lot of work with this with very good results.
Also a version of the Silva Riot is designed for the SE too.
I may be getting an old cox GTM in need of some work and i'm already thinking of engine upgrades, i've narrowed it down to either an SE or a K-series.

NO i'm NOT putting a bike engine in it!!

wildmoor

posted on 6/3/07 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
sorry caps lock stuck on now off i was wondering as we build them for racing and road i thought we may be able to help some members on here.
yes we are also getting good bhp and torque about 170bhp on limited ckokes of 30mm

[Edited on 6/3/07 by wildmoor]

keith2lp

posted on 6/3/07 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
Zetec SE

Zetec SE engines come in 1.25, 1.4 1.6 & 1.7 sizes and can be found in Fiestas, Focus models.

The Duratec in the newer Fiesta is also an SE but badged as a Duratec.

The 1.6 has been used by Quantum, and Shawspeed.

The engine is all aluminium and designed by Yamaha and its weight is about 85kg.

The 1.6 can be tuned to 150 bhp quite easily.

rayward

posted on 6/3/07 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
shawspeed fit them in their cars,

its a good tuneable engine,bellhousing to fit a RWD gearbox costs about £500 though.

Ray

ned

posted on 6/3/07 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
Exhaust Trail Fit - Ancillaries Fit Nice!!
Exhaust Trail Fit - Ancillaries Fit Nice!!

Paul (Notts)

posted on 6/3/07 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
wildmoor
any advive on how to get more power out of my 1.7 SE in my puma. All I have done so far is change the air filter for a K&N one.

Seems a very willing engine from 3,00 -6500 rpm.

Paul

ned

posted on 6/3/07 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rayward
shawspeed fit them in their cars,

its a good tuneable engine,bellhousing to fit a RWD gearbox costs about £500 though.

Ray

that's a bit OTT, think it's more like £230 from shawspeed so not much more than an xe, duratec or toyota one really.

greggors84

posted on 6/3/07 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
Debating fitting one of these.

Downsides are the 1.6 is only about 100bhp standard (1.7 has tricky vvc to get round but is 125bhp standard)

And having to buy a bell housing.

Ive worked out for the money that the bell housing will cost me I can get some bike throttle bodies and inlet to fit a regular zetec. Which will hopefully give about 60bhp more than the SE.

Great engines if you are really looking for the light weight, but you have to spend a bit as there are only a couple of companies that do components for them. I think the fast road cams from Burtons are about £400, might be a bit cheaper for shawspeeds cams though.

Cheaper light weight power to be had from a Toyota 4AGE, i reckon.

[Edited on 6/3/2007 by greggors84]

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

GaryM

posted on 6/3/07 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
Aren't they Caterham's new engine of choice?
wildmoor

posted on 6/3/07 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
yes paul head cams and bike throttle bodiesomex engine management should see you close to 210bhp
iank

posted on 7/3/07 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scotty g
The smaller SE engine is a little beauty, i would love to use one in a kit, i believe that shawspeed do quite a lot of work with this with very good results.
Also a version of the Silva Riot is designed for the SE too.
I may be getting an old cox GTM in need of some work and i'm already thinking of engine upgrades, i've narrowed it down to either an SE or a K-series.

NO i'm NOT putting a bike engine in it!!

Zetec SE has the advantage that the exhaust comes out on the same side as the A-series, much easier for a middy with limited engine bay length.

K series has the advantage that they are effectively free now Rover has gone tango uniform. In the future they will probably swap places as Ford sell more SE's and K series become harder to find.

Don't think a bike engine would fit anyway (that's what I keep telling myself )

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

greggors84

posted on 7/3/07 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wildmoor
yes paul head cams and bike throttle bodiesomex engine management should see you close to 210bhp

Shawspeed quote 180bhp with Jenveys, Omex and a set of their fast road cams.

To be honest thats still a very good figure for a 80kg engine. At least ive got until next winter to decide!

Caterham use the zetex se or sigma in the new CSR200 (i think thats what its called)

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

MikeRJ

posted on 7/3/07 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by greggors84
Cheaper light weight power to be had from a Toyota 4AGE, i reckon.

The 4AGE is iron block though I think, so I suspect the Zetec will be a bit lighter.

greggors84

posted on 8/3/07 at 03:54 AM Reply With Quote
Zetec SE is lighter than 4AGE, but the 4AGE is lighter than a Zetec S. So Ive found our from searches on the net anyway!

What I meant is the 4AGE has to have a better power/weight to pound ratio than the SE.

[Edited on 8/3/2007 by greggors84]

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

NS Dev

posted on 8/3/07 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
zetec se is a cracking engine.

In the 1600 cc range I find it really odd that everybody talks toyota on here, when both the vauxhall 1600 XE engine and the Ford-Yamaha Zetec se will make more power without internal mods (the vauxhall is good for 180hp without internal mods, but is again iron block so heavier.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

peterrosey

posted on 9/3/07 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
I'm using a Zetec SE in my build for a number of reasons - it's very light (I can pick it up and put it on the engine stand with relative ease - first engine I've been able to do that with). Also there's very little room in my Fisher Fury engine bay and Duratec 2.0 would have poked out of the bonnet.

The Zetec SE is also supposed to rev quite high and has lots of good kit with it (like flash powdered metal contruction rods and a very cool ladder-chassis-style main bearing support).

My aim is to build a feather-weight track-day car (around 580kg is the goal) with around 180-200bhp out of the Zetec. The engine and head are virtually unmodified so if it goes pop I'll just get another from the breakers (cost me £300 for a 2002 15,000 miler - bet they're even less now)

Also if you change only the rod bolts it can cope with up to 200bhp. The head is very free-flowing as standard - it almost looks gas-flowed. With bike TBs, cams and an aftermarket ECU it's possible to get 180-200bhp on the stock head. Gas-flow it and modify the pistons and you'll see even more.

Downsides: you need a more expensive bell-housing (plus hydraulic clutch in my case which added to the cost). Doing bike TBs (I'm fitting R1 items) throws up various problems - you have to shift the alternator and devise a new method of running the water pump (driven off the back of the belt, so runs counter-rotates to the crank).

For a budget build I'd still go for something like a Zetec 1.8 / 2.0 due to the ease of mating them up to a Type 9, but something different, revvy and ultra-lightweight the Zetec SE is the way to go (Martin Bell at Fisher said it gave the Fury near perfect handling while heavier lumps like the VX 2.0-litre ruined the balance of the car).

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.