Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: mice
JoelP

posted on 10/3/07 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
mice

was in bed last night and heard a noise, woke me up fast! Sounded like the downstairs blind being banged. So i crept onto the landing and listened. Realised it was coming from the spare/junk room. Thought it was just stuff falling over but it gradually dawned on me that the noise was going on and on, then out popped a mouse! One glance and it ran back into the junk. So i slammed the door tight and went back to bed. No sign of it now! How the hell does a mouse climb up stairs?! Must've come up through a hole in the kitchen floor, from the space under the house - cant imagine how it climbed up a copper pipe to get to floor level though. Absolutely baffled. I would think i imagined it but there are gnaw marks on a bar of soap in there. Crazy stuff.

How best to get it?! I need it out before it starves to death and starts to stink, and also before swimbo comes home on sunday eve!

DIY Si

posted on 10/3/07 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
Do you know anyone with a ginger tom?

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

David Jenkins

posted on 10/3/07 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
Mice are really good at climbing... the only practical solutions are poison or a mouse trap. Not nice, but practical and permanent.

leave it too long and you may have a colony...

Tangerine Scream

posted on 10/3/07 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
Spring trap baited with peanut butter - they love it (but not for that long obviously)
Leave it anywhere you see their poo.

Worked for me!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
theconrodkid

posted on 10/3/07 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
dont kill him/her,they are only trying to scrape a living in an anti-mouse world
a wooden box with some food at the bottom and sides they cant climb out of,catch them and let them go in someone else,s garden

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

David Jenkins

posted on 10/3/07 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
I had some mice in the garage - caught them in humane traps, released them a few hundred yards away in a field - and they turned up again the same night!

Sorry to say that bumping them off is the only certain way... shame, as I bear them no ill feelings - but they simply don't belong in my house.

BTW: chocolate is also a good bait.

Benzine

posted on 10/3/07 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
Amazing the heights then can fall/jump. As Tangerine Scream said, peanut butter is a great bait. Those sonic repel plug-in things do flip all (from my experience)
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Aloupol

posted on 10/3/07 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
Spring trap : it only works once. Since a mouse died into it, the next ones keep away from it because of the blood's smell.
I fixed that by putting the trap in the fire for a few seconds.
Seems that new traps are made of plastic, so it's possible to wash in a dish wash machine to make it work again.

JoelP

posted on 10/3/07 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
im a bit annoyed, i thought that closing the door would keep it in there so i could deal with it later, in the light of day though i see a 12mm gap under one side that it *possibly* would squeeze through. If i catch it alive i wont kill it, but a trap may be the only option!
JoelP

posted on 10/3/07 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aloupol
, so it's possible to wash in a dish wash machine to make it work again.

what did the wife think of that

chrisg

posted on 10/3/07 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
The most effective mouse trap is a plank with a razor blade standing upright at one end.

Write "Cheese this way" with an arrow pointing at the razor blade, on the plank.

Mr Mouse comes along, sees the sign and walks up to the razor blade, sticks his head over the top and looks both ways thinking "where's this cheese then"

Cuts his throat.

There's really no need to complicate matters...........

Cheers

Chris

[Edited on 10/3/07 by chrisg]

jollygreengiant

posted on 10/3/07 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
Wooden mouse traps I have found are fine. Best bait to use a simple crumb of bread. Had 6 mice comit suicide in the same trap (fresh bit of bread each night), six nights in a row (that is to say one mouse each night.).

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

cossiebri

posted on 10/3/07 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
used lemoncurd, worked a treat

If it doesn't fit MODIFY it!!
Cheers BriF

David Jenkins

posted on 10/3/07 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
12mm is as wide as the M1 for a mouse!

quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
im a bit annoyed, i thought that closing the door would keep it in there so i could deal with it later, in the light of day though i see a 12mm gap under one side that it *possibly* would squeeze through. If i catch it alive i wont kill it, but a trap may be the only option!

rusty nuts

posted on 10/3/07 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
Mice don't go for cheese, Mars bar works well . Use to live more or less on a farm and had mice every year when the weather turned cold and tried just about everything to trap them
roadrunner

posted on 10/3/07 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
I've had a mouse in my loft , it started to eat the xmass trimmings, the little bugger climbed up the cavity wall ,after starting on the first floor ,from the hot water pipes. I got myself a mouse freindly trap, set it up with peanut butter, and it caught it , but also killed it , suffocated it, set it again, but with holes drilled init, about 6mm, it caught another one ,but this time it chewed an 8mm hole from the 6mm hole , and escaped.
chrisg

posted on 10/3/07 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
Alternatively

Cheers

Chris

Guinness

posted on 10/3/07 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
If you can poke a biro through a hole (about 7mm) then a mouse can get through it. Allegedly.

http://www.the-piedpiper.co.uk/th1c.htm

Mike

owelly

posted on 10/3/07 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
I recently asked the ratty man at wok how to get rid of my mices that have managedto get behind the dry-lining boards in my house (which gives them full range from the floor to the loft!) He says the melted marsbar on a wooden spring trap works. I didn't like the idea of killing then so I borrowed a humane trap from a farmer chum. It was a wooden box with fine wire mesh panels and two 12mm holes drilled through the wood with wire mesh tubes in the holes. The tubes were about 2" long so as the mouses dropped out of the mesh tubes, they couldn't find their way out. They try to find the way out by following the edges of the box.
I didn't think that the holes were big enough but the first night saw two detainees. The second night saw four. I took the mice a couple of miles up the road to let them go.
Ratty man at work says they need to be squished as they can easily find their way back! The next consignment were taken to the middle of the moors and let go.
I then went into the loft and saw the damage the little nibbling gets had caused. I then bought the wooden spring traps and a bag of Mars Bars!!!

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

JoelP

posted on 10/3/07 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
reading that link that mike posted, i may have a problem! Mary and moses....

gonna get some traps tomorrow to sort them out, and maybe go mouse hunting tonight.

Im still bugged about where it came from, baffled. If it can indeed get through 7mm, it can probably waltz straight under my front door!

jlparsons

posted on 11/3/07 at 02:06 AM Reply With Quote
They can go just about anywhere but they'll only stay if there's a food source - make sure there's nothing edible anywhere that they can get into and lay traps to get rid of the ones that are there already. Loads of baits work apparently, raisins did the job for me.

Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Some assembly required. Batteries not included. Contents may settle during shipment. Use only as directed. No other warranty expressed or implied. Do not use while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment. Subject to approval, terms and conditions apply. Apply only to affected area. For recreational use only. All models over 18 years of age. No user-serviceable parts inside. Subject to change. As seen on TV. One size fits all. May contain nuts. Slippery when wet. For office use only. Edited for television. Keep cool; process promptly.

Hellfire

posted on 11/3/07 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote
I used one of those humane traps to catch a mouse... it came back three times. I even walked 3-400 yards in the woods nearby to save its life. Eventually I bought a killer one... job done!

We now have cats - anyone know of a trap big enough for those seriously, nothing better than a Cat for catching mice. SWMBO didn't like clearing up the 5 headless ones we had recently. Before you ask... we live amongst fields and woods so field mice are common around here...

StEvE

jack trolley

posted on 11/3/07 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
B&Q (black plastic) mousetraps worked: three killed in two days with a chocolate bait.
All quiet since.

locogeoff

posted on 11/3/07 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
3 cats = no mice

apart from the occasional present.
Remember watching the F1 qualifiing a couple of years ago when one of the Maclarens was just starting its lap, when in comes one of the cats, drops a mouse at my feet and taps my leg to say this ones yours. I politely declined, next thing I knew I could here the crunching of mouse bones, and by the time the lap was complete all was left was a tail with a bumhole attached and the little beany bit they never eat.

well wste not want not

DarrenW

posted on 11/3/07 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
Mice can get into the loft so a bathroom is very easy.

Ive always used humane traps in the past, was surprised to learn that it is an offence to let them go and you can face prosecution if caught apparently. Something to do with their vermin status.

Ive always used dog food in the traps. Once had one of the black plastic tube types with a yellow cap at the end - the buggers chewed through the cap and let themselve loose! Hard plastic ones always worked well.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.