Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Booster Seats - 2
DarrenW

posted on 13/3/07 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
Booster Seats - 2

Following on from the post ref do we need to use child seats in our cars and the official reply that we do - has anyone been able to buy a narrow booster seat off the shelf that fits in narrow GRP seats in our cars? If so what is the width, supplier and cost please?

I have a narrow seat purchased from Halfords (£12 iirc) but the side arms are a little too wide. It measures approx 395mm at widest point and seat is 370mm. I may be able to heat it up and bend in but would prefer to buy one that is OK off the shalf and thus avoid silly questions if Police / insurance companies were ever involved.

Ive searched some website but none post the sizes.

nick205

posted on 13/3/07 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
I'd be interested in this too.

Darren - all the booster seats I've seen are deisigned for normal 3 point seat belts. Have you found one that is suitable for use with 4 point harnesses?

DarrenW

posted on 13/3/07 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
Send me your email addy and ill send you the email chain.

There dosent seem to be any distinction between seat belt types for booster seats. The basic ruling is all front seat 3 years and over children have to use a specific approved booster irrspective of what type of belts are in use. As far as i can tell none of the seats up to 3 years old are suitable for our types of narrow seats so my take is you can only carry children that are 3 years and over.

My cheapo halfords seat (Britax i think) is just too wide. It has plastic side 'arms'. I need to have a look to see if any dont have the arms and hence will fit without modification (which in the eyes of the law would then probably invalidate any approvals).

speedyxjs

posted on 13/3/07 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
Apparently you can legally use a telephone directory. I would check with your local police station first though, just in-case.

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

DarrenW

posted on 14/3/07 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
The guy from DoT said you must use approved child seat only. As our cars have only 2 seats they are classed as front seats for obvious reasons and the law does look clear on this point when i checked the websites more carefully. I tried to say that the purpose of a booster was to get the child to the correct position ref diagonal seat belts but he confirmed there is no distinction between seat belts and use of 4 point harnesses doesnt give any exemptions. With this in mind use of a telephone directory is not legal (unless you only use it to ring a supplier of booster seats to see if they have a suitable one for purchase!)

Taxis dont have to use the boosters but the guidelines do state that Limo drivers etc must use them, even to the point where they suggest companies insist on the passengers bringing their own along to avoid having to carry the various types with them on every trip just in case.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.