Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sanding curved panels
ady8077

posted on 14/3/07 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
Sanding curved panels

Hi all

I need to prep the front wings of my Stylus, should i wrap the sand paper around a wooden block or use something more flexible to follow the curves?

Thanks Adrian

matt.c

posted on 14/3/07 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
A block will do fine as long as you use long smooth stokes and not dig it in anywhere.

Trust me, its my job

RazMan

posted on 14/3/07 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
With curved panels I found that 'rubbing direction' is crucial to maintain the curve, at least in the early prep stages. Use as large a block as you can get away with and use smaller blocks for the detail.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
matt.c

posted on 14/3/07 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
bfvwirjopvjpjuoegvhheojvbojiohhoefj

Sorry i just wiped the dribble of my keyboard after seeing your car RazMan

ady8077

posted on 14/3/07 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys

I need to fill some small holes where the mould lines have been removed, just regular filler ok?

Razman you car looks great

Adrian

RazMan

posted on 14/3/07 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys

Try and key the areas to be filled - even scratching them with a scriber. It will help the filler stay put, especially if you have the paint baked on.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
02GF74

posted on 15/3/07 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
you can by curved sanders - look like a plane but have an adjustable bar that will add curvature to the blade.
pretty sure Frost sell them

blueshift

posted on 15/3/07 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
I have been thinking about this recently. I was thinking of using a bit of around 5mm rubber mat if I can find something suitable.

I reconed it would spread the load from my fingertips, without concentrating it like a block.

I have a rubber sanding block but it's not flexible enough for major curves.

Mark Allanson

posted on 15/3/07 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
3M softpads are made for the job, but about 75p each. Production paper on a firm sponge should do the trick

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

RazMan

posted on 15/3/07 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
They are ok for detailing but I found that they didn't have any staying power and clogged too easily. Halfrauds do a roll of green production paper that you can use with a shaped block and lasts long enough.

Cheers,
Raz

Angel Acevedo

posted on 16/3/07 at 11:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ady8077
Hi all

I need to prep the front wings of my Stylus, should i wrap the sand paper around a wooden block or use something more flexible to follow the curves?

Thanks Adrian

You could use a thin 1/2" to 1" block of Polystirene (Spelling)....
Cut to Size, and wrap with sandpaper. it`ll hold enough curvature to sand curves and rigid enough to get the job done....

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.