Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: More Twin BEC Fiat 126 Grasser Progress!
NS Dev

posted on 20/3/07 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
More Twin BEC Fiat 126 Grasser Progress!

Finally got some more pics taken at the weekend, more grasser progress!

Looking more Fiat-ish now!

shell on front
shell on front

and from the side:

shell on side
shell on side

and from the back, engines a bit clearer!

shell on rear corner
shell on rear corner

and its not all been fabrication, had a lot of late nights machining as well, made loads of bits, most time consuming being a pair of drive cups, which take the driven sprocket from each chain drive (1 per engine) and then have a 108mm CV joint recessed inside them to allow the use of a longer driveshaft (about 60mm longer than if the cv flange was outside the sprocket hub)

I'm quite proud of em, cost me £40 in 155mm dia EN16 billet and 2 and a bit evenings of machining!

big lathe
big lathe

drive cup
drive cup

that's all folks, I'm off to order some ECU's!!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

ecosse

posted on 20/3/07 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
That looks absolutely bonkers

Cheers

Alex

cloudy

posted on 20/3/07 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
Love it!!!
mookaloid

posted on 20/3/07 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
That looks fantastic - I might have a look at grass tracking instead of hill climbing - it looks fun!

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

NS Dev

posted on 20/3/07 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
I think Hillclimbing is fun too.........................why not do both!!!

PS what you don't see is that, mad as it looks, my car will be miles down on power to weight compared to the front runners!!

They will have pairs of big bore, stroked hayabusas chucking out 240odd hp each, I will only have 300-320hp in total!......................................................

Mine will sound better though!!!!!!!!!!!

[Edited on 20/3/07 by NS Dev]

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

froggy

posted on 20/3/07 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
nuff respec!!! i am trying to see if i can fit a passenger seat behind the driver in my new car , is yours going on the road?
zxrlocost

posted on 20/3/07 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
good god!

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

NS Dev

posted on 20/3/07 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by froggy
nuff respec!!! i am trying to see if i can fit a passenger seat behind the driver in my new car , is yours going on the road?

Hi Froggy!

no sadly not for the road, racing only.

Would have to rethink the transmission for any serious amount of road use, chains will not last long.

I do have a spare 126 at the mo though! It is destined to provide me with a spare shell for when this one is too crumpled to straighten out......................

NS Dev

posted on 20/3/07 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
PS the bit that's really making me chuckle as I look at the pics is the fact that the wheels look HUGE, yet they are only 13" fronts and 14" rears!!!!!

I've had to cut away most of the door pillar to get the front wheels to clear the shell, and the arches are cut into the doors by 3".................

The car is 72" wheelbase and 66" wide, unbelievably tiny!!!

Can still pick the front up with one arm too!!!

minordelay

posted on 20/3/07 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
That looks great will it be in class 5?
I have recently been getting prices for another college project car for next year.

Class 8 with busa power, I even offered to drive at a few midlands rounds. Might all be in vain as the college is F£££££d and we might not have a section soon.

I hope to see your car in action when are you hoping to finish it?

COREdevelopments

posted on 20/3/07 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
looking good. cant wait for the autograss to start up. think its on next week down my way. red roses near pendine. you ever been there nsdev??

keep up the good work, bet its sound like a beast!!

MikeR

posted on 20/3/07 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
I'm pretty sure the car is a class 7 - car body shell, unlimited engine.
NS Dev

posted on 21/3/07 at 12:05 AM Reply With Quote
Yep, class 7 indeed!

You need to pop round for a peep Mike, its coming on now!

Just got back from Clive's with two sprocket drive cups that he has machined for me to drive off the std 16 tooth Aprilia 525 sprockets.

He's prob now doing the header, dry sump and fuel tanks in stainless for me! (saves me time and gives him something to keep busy with! )

NS Dev

posted on 21/3/07 at 01:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by COREdevelopments
looking good. cant wait for the autograss to start up. think its on next week down my way. red roses near pendine. you ever been there nsdev??

keep up the good work, bet its sound like a beast!!

I guess you've heard Endaf's twin TL polo go???

I hope this will go as well as that!

NS Dev

posted on 21/3/07 at 02:02 AM Reply With Quote
Just to prove that my car is sensible:

500hp supercharged v8 Cinquecento chain driven grasser

Richard Quinn

posted on 21/3/07 at 07:42 AM Reply With Quote
We have Gaffer's fire-breathing cossie engined Class 7 up our way. I believe that's ~350bhp at 1 bar but will comfortably see 600bhp with the boost turned up

And I believe we've now got both of Endaf's old twin TLs at North Wales and they are owned by two brothers so fairly close to being "twin, twin TL twins". Should be a nice sounding season!

[Edited on 21/3/07 by Richard Quinn]

COREdevelopments

posted on 21/3/07 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
yes ns dev, i have, i know endaf and his growler!! he done a few bits of machining for me. he a bit wild on the track though.
im sure yours will sound bloody great!!

atb
rob

Peteff

posted on 21/3/07 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
It's a bit short innit?

You'll want some wheely bars or stabilisers on it Nat

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Hellfire

posted on 21/3/07 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NS Dev
PS what you don't see is that, mad as it looks, my car will be miles down on power to weight compared to the front runners!!

They will have pairs of big bore, stroked hayabusas chucking out 240odd hp each, I will only have 300-320hp in total!......................................................

Mine will sound better though!!!!!!!!!!!

[Edited on 20/3/07 by NS Dev]

That looks absolutely great Nat and I'm sure it'll go like stink even though it'll only have 300 - 320hp.

Just think of all the money you've saved compared to the guys running twin Busas.

Phil

MikeR

posted on 22/3/07 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
just think how big Nats grin will be when he turns up in the fiat ..... irrespective of power. Now all we've got to do is get him to paint it barbie pink

I'll pop round soon, posting this from France torturing myself skiing (need to do more exercise before i leave in future)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.