Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: timing cam/ignition
02GF74

posted on 21/3/07 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
timing cam/ignition

Does any have or know where I can see data from tests conducted on engines shoing the effect of cam and ignition timing?

Basically what I am looking for is how the engine's power is affected if the cam is not timed as per manufacturer's recommendation, say by 1 degree increment before and after TDC and same for ignition.

If you been to rolling road and conducted such tests that are repeatable then thay may be enough.

In case you a pondering, I'm just curious as to whether vernier gears are hype or do make a difference, and if so, then how much.

Also data on how much from the manufacturer's setting a mass produced cam e.g. crossflow can be out by.

coozer

posted on 21/3/07 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
I think for cam timing if its out the vavle knocks off the piston.

Actually, if the ign timing is out that knocks as well

Cheers,
Steve

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

TangoMan

posted on 21/3/07 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
There are two issues. Firstly cams, especially aftermarket ones, are notoriously bad for being ground off centre so the timing is out before you start.
Secondly, altering the cam timing, within sensible limits moves the power up and down the range. From memory, although I could well be wrong, retarding it gives better loe down power at the expense of outright max power.
On twin cams there is also the option to play with overlaps

I think Vizard wrote a lot about the effects of playing with cam timing.

Summer's here!!!!

bricheun

posted on 23/3/07 at 07:36 AM Reply With Quote
Cam timing

Retard cam timing - push power up higher rpm - at the cost of lower rpm torque.

Advance cam timing - push power lower down in the rpm.

Advance timing - feels very torquey, won;t be a screamer as power goes down high up.
retard timing - engine sounds and feels happier at higher rpm. The difference I am talking is about _/-1000rpm.

Remember to adjust your ignition - retard cam timing -> need to advance ignition timing

Advance cam timing --> need to retard ignition timing

There is only a limit you can do s don;t go +/- 10 degrees on the cam timing. The difference is huge and we are talking 2 different engine feeling +/- 2 degrees.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.