Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bec rectifier
dern

posted on 25/3/07 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
Bec rectifier

I didn't get a rectifier with my 2003 R1 engine and obviously need one. Getting hold of a 2003 R1 rectifier is proving a time consuming and potentially expensive business so...

All a rectifier does is convert what ever you get out of the alternator to 12V, right? Therefore any rectifier is going to contain a load of diodes, some voltage regulators and a big heat sink. Therefore will any 12v rectifier do the job for me or do I specifically need one matched to my bike engine?

Thanks,

Mark

R1 (2003 FI) powered Locost in progress
Fireblade/Impreza

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Wadders

posted on 25/3/07 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
Any bike shop will sell you a spurious rectifier,that fits any bike. think i paid about £38 for the last one, its in my toolbox as a spare, i traced the fault to a bad connection.

Al.

Originally posted by dern
I didn't get a rectifier with my 2003 R1 engine and obviously need one. Getting hold of a 2003 R1 rectifier is proving a time consuming and potentially expensive business so...

All a rectifier does is convert what ever you get out of the alternator to 12V, right? Therefore any rectifier is going to contain a load of diodes, some voltage regulators and a big heat sink. Therefore will any 12v rectifier do the job for me or do I specifically need one matched to my bike engine?

Thanks,

Mark

dern

posted on 25/3/07 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wadders
Any bike shop will sell you a spurious rectifier,that fits any bike. think i paid about £38 for the last one,
So they do all do the same thing? Cool.

Thanks,

Mark

Fireblade/Impreza

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mark chandler

posted on 25/3/07 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
three yellows, red and black, yellows any order to the engine, red to battery, black to earth, anyone will do, just get a substantial looking one from ebay for a 12v bike, ie one with cooling fins. Mines got a Ducati on a honda, my bikes got a honda transalpine on a fireblade. Its only taking 3 phase AC via a bridge rectifier and turning it into dc.

Regards Mark

BenB

posted on 25/3/07 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
If you go scrappy hunting just make sure it's a well heat-sinked rectifier or at least its got a nice large piece of metal on the bottom that you can bond (with heat transfer paste) onto something big made of aliminium to radiate away the heat- they chuck out a fair bit of heat and if inadequately cooled can go pop and let out the magic smoke!!!
dern

posted on 25/3/07 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
Nice one, thanks guys.

Fireblade/Impreza

02GF74

posted on 26/3/07 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
rectifier and voltage regulator are 2 different things.

I used 6 fat doides mounted on aluminium ange (heatsink) to rectify output on my Z1000 A1 - pennines compared to a new one. (I think the voltage regulatr is suspect though).

any way, rectifier convers AC electricitiy, as what comes out of the alternator into DC; car and bike alternators seem to be 3 phase so you need 6 diodes.

voltage regulator takes electricity and clamps it down to a specific levle, usally in car and bikes this is around 12 V.

Some alternators combine both in one unit.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.