Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How to remove stuck Valve collets??
scottc

posted on 9/4/07 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
How to remove stuck Valve collets??

Hi Guys,

Trying to remove the valves from a porsche 924 head, and the collets are firmly stuck to the valve spring retainer. I've tried shocking 'em, left them overnight with oil soaking into them, but they're stuck solid. Solid enough to break the T shaped handle on my Valve spring compressor.

I even tried hitting them with a screw driver to turn them while the spring was compressed

Any ideas? Should I put some heat on 'em?

Happy Easter

britishtrident

posted on 9/4/07 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
Valve collets don't stick --- you need a better valve spring compressor.
Mr Whippy

posted on 9/4/07 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
ahh stop! you are suppose to put a tube over the valve retainer and hit it with a hammer first. Just get a 17mm socket and use that. You will then find the collets will come free when compressed.

here's a link for you, scrole down for the instructions

http://www.chain-auto-tools.com/engine_tools/AMR032V.htm

[Edited on 9/4/07 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scottc

posted on 9/4/07 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
I can compress the spring by hand using a socket and piece of wood. and you can see the valve moving with the retainer.

Cheers whippy, I've stuck a socket over the retainer making sure it doesn't touch the valve, and given it a good whack.

I managed to get one valve out using a pillar drill to compress the spring, but the other 7 valves move with the retainers.

scottc

posted on 9/4/07 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
I'm using one of these

Mr Whippy

posted on 9/4/07 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
well that's a rather fancy version but just give the spring retainer a whack, you will feel the cullet let go its grip.

[Edited on 9/4/07 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scottc

posted on 9/4/07 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
well the spring compressor keeps the valve in place.

The pillar drill I put the head on the base of it. Theres no combustion chamber in the head (well very slight) so the valve sits on the base of the pillar drill.

Mr Whippy

posted on 9/4/07 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
I've just finished putting a 24 valve engine together and had to go through the same thing. Trust me, socket on the retainer and thump it, they will let go

scottc

posted on 9/4/07 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
Maybe I just need a bigger hammer
Mr Whippy

posted on 9/4/07 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
hmm I do use a large hammer

scottc

posted on 9/4/07 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
Well I've broken countless bits of wood that were protecting the socket, and my makeshift workbench.

Might just have a beer now. and worry about it next weekend. lol.

stevec

posted on 9/4/07 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
Make sure the valves cant hit anything when you knock them, If they are inclined valves you can bend them if the hit the bench,
Steve,

britishtrident

posted on 9/4/07 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote
Using that type the T bar is only for adjustment to suit different heads, once adjudsted you compress the spring using the the lever action.
Mr Whippy

posted on 9/4/07 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
Hit them harder

Better find a piece of tube then.

Make sure the valve can't move far or it will simply bounce on the spring. Try a piece of wood on the valve (assuming that the valves project straight up) and hit them down firmly. I've never known this to fail, just keep trying.

Peteff

posted on 9/4/07 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
We used to have an old Petter single cylinder diesel with a combined block and head. The only way to get the valves out was to stand the block on a piece of wood that fitted in the bore and press the valve spring down with two hammer shafts while someone fetched the collets out with a screwdriver. It was driving a circular saw and what fun we had looking for the collets in the sawdust with a magnet. I usually find that if the collets aren't coming out the spring isn't compressed enough. It says on my compressor not to use an extension on the handle How is the valve and retainer moving when the other end of the spring compressor is on the valve head ?

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

scottc

posted on 9/4/07 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
With the Spring compressor on, it was just bending (opening up) the spring compressor. The friction between the collets and spring retainer was stronger than the tool

I've managed to break the seal using a piece of wood under the valves, a 27MM socket which fits nicely over the spring retainer, and a bloody great hammer

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

Edit: forgot to say once I'd hit it enough, the spring compressor worked perfectly!

[Edited on 9/4/07 by scottc]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.