Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: White Smokie X-Flow
rayroni

posted on 11/4/07 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
White Smokie X-Flow

Got 1600 xflow that has stood for a number of years. Fitted with twin Dellorto DHLA 40’s, fed by a facet electric fuel pump and regulated via filter king regulator set for 2.5psi at idle. Problem is that I am getting a lot of smoke (pretty white’ish) when I rev it, also seem to be getting some fluid weeping from the number 2 exhaust port (zorst gasket blows) . Starts fine, and ticks over fine, and revs very cleanly. Have fitted new vavle stem seals and head gasket, but problem remains. One thing I have noticed, is that if I remove the connection to the petrol tank (i.e., pump only pumping fresh air, and engine running of float chamber contents) the smoke in the exhaust reduces greatly.

Has anybody got any ideas – please.

speedyxjs

posted on 11/4/07 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
White smoke is dirt and muck getting cleared from the inside of the engine and blue smoke is oil (not good)

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

Fatgadget

posted on 11/4/07 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
Could also be water seeping into the cylinders..cracked head/porous block (very bad).

[Edited on 11/4/07 by Fatgadget]

westcost1

posted on 11/4/07 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
usually white smoke is steam. burning water from a leaking head gasket did you check the head was not cracked between water way and piston or warped when you did the head gasket?
02GF74

posted on 11/4/07 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
what does ot it smell like? and look like? fill a boddle or metal container with cold water and stick in from of exhaust - the vapours will condense - you will be able to see if it is water or not.

alose remove spark plugs - if one or more are spotless, then it is water = head gasker/head/block = steam cleaning.

You wold expect tpo see steam anyway as it is a by product of combustion, but it should go away onve engine is warmed up on a warm day.

have you changed the fuel? possbile water contaminated?

Guinness

posted on 11/4/07 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
Is it a new exhaust system? Mine smoked like a bugger when I first started the engine. Thought it was leaking / burning oil or head gasket or something else. Turned out it was the residue in the pipes from forming the bends / welding burning off.

Mike

Macbeast

posted on 11/4/07 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
I had white smoke once on an MG. It was brake fluid being sucked into intake through leaky seal in the brake servo.

Of course if you don't have a brake servo this information will not be a lot of use

stevebubs

posted on 11/4/07 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
Are you running seriously rich? Take a look at the plugs...
rayroni

posted on 12/4/07 at 07:30 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks as always. Suspect I've have probably got (had) a couple of issues going on, ran it up again last night and the level of smoke has reduced greatly - so suspect this is perhaps mainly due to various top end 'rebuild fluids' and yes new exhaust system. However when it is revved it produces a resonable amount of smoke. Perhaps its me just being used to modern 'clean' engines.

Do suspect I am over fuelling though as I am getting some drips of fuel coming from end of RAM pipes. What fuel pressure a people running there carbs at ?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.