Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cheap flaring kits...are they any good?
tegwin

posted on 15/4/07 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
Cheap flaring kits...are they any good?

I have a half dozen flares I need to produce on my copper brake pipes....

Are the cheap flaring kits on ebay any good? I know you get what you pay for, but will they manage to do the job?

Something like this:LINK1

Peteff

posted on 15/4/07 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
Same as Machine Mart

I've used one of those for lots of jobs and never had a failure yet. I use Kunifer pipe mostly but sometimes copper as well.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Chippy

posted on 15/4/07 at 11:49 PM Reply With Quote
I think that the standard brake pipe is less than 6mm, 3/16ths inch IIRC, and that will only do single flairs not double. Not much use I think, buy a reasonable one, and it will last you a life time. Just my opinion, Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

britishtrident

posted on 16/4/07 at 07:08 AM Reply With Quote
With cheaper kits you may find you have to sand down the flat surfaces of the split die so that it grips the pipe properly.

Use Kunifer pipe it is only a couple of quid extra a roll and is just as easy to work as copper.

[Edited on 16/4/07 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

mackei23b

posted on 16/4/07 at 07:41 AM Reply With Quote
I bought a cheap one. As soon as I had, I thought 'false economy' the one area yuo don't want to skimp is brakes.

Sure enough it arrived, quality was terrible, and it broke on the first use, not managing to make a single flare. I used a draper set, which cost arruond £25. Done my brakes, all bled and no leaks.

see: http://www.justoffbase.co.uk/7pc-Pipe-Flaring-Tool-Kit-37870-Draper-BPF-KIT?sc=9&category=88

Cheers

Ian

[Edited on 16/4/07 by mackei23b]

RichieC

posted on 16/4/07 at 07:42 AM Reply With Quote
The end result isnt as pretty as mine can wander slightly and not flare the pipe perfectly vertical.

You definately get what you pay for but at the end of the day it does actually flare it, its just not as neat but you wont see it anyway.

Rich

[Edited on 16/4/07 by RichieC]

bodger

posted on 16/4/07 at 07:50 AM Reply With Quote
I bought a cheap one - Valley Tools, cr*p. Then went to the local Motor Factors. He said he did sell flaring tools but that the quality of the flare was pretty poor unless you spent £100ish & that for a one off I'd be better off getting a garage to do the flares, so that's my plan.
02GF74

posted on 16/4/07 at 08:24 AM Reply With Quote
I've got the machin mart one; made about 6 or so flares on brake and clutch pope, not had one fail.

Beware the instruction on how to make double flares in the MM one are wrong! (maybe they have corrected that).

Peteff

posted on 16/4/07 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
that will only do single flairs not double

It does a double, you just remove the first die and run it down again.
The end result isnt as pretty as mine can wander slightly and not flare the pipe perfectly vertical. A friend had the same problem with his and when he showed me, it was because he was exposing too much pipe through the clamp. His was a more expensive version of the same thing and when used properly made superb flares. Only push through to the depth of the step on the side of the first die and cut the end square and ream it.

[Edited on 16/4/07 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

BenB

posted on 16/4/07 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
I (rather optimistically) bought a cheapo one like that and then hoped it would flare the bundy tube for my wiper box setup..... Didn't do a thing....
Might do plain copper though.....

NS Dev

posted on 16/4/07 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
Don't waste your money on them.

I have a cheap set (actually snap on but of the cheap deisgn ) and it is utterly rubbish.

I bought a proper lever action one then and haven't missed a beat since, you can get them for £50 ish if you shop around (paid £50 cash for mine at a show off automec as it had poor anodising on it ) and you won't regret it.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

tegwin

posted on 16/4/07 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
Its a pain really...I didnt want to spend out that much on a tool thats only going to get used for a couple of days and then get hidden in the back of the garage never to be seen again
JoelP

posted on 16/4/07 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
i bought the clark one from machine mart and had no problems, this was the first time id ever done brakes and not one went wrong, entire car perfect first time. I still have it but havent used it since (3 years)
rusty nuts

posted on 16/4/07 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
Where abouts are you? someone local may have one you can borrow or may even make the pipes up for you . Hire company may also be another option?
britishtrident

posted on 17/4/07 at 07:30 AM Reply With Quote
The trick to getting a straight flare is making sure the end that is being flared is straight to begin with.

To do this close the split die on the bit of pipe where the flare will be this makes the pipe "die straight" then move the pipe up to the correct position to begin the flaring operation.

The other thing that causes bent flares is if too much pipe is protruding from the die --- the exact ammount of excess pipe required varies from tool to tool but on my tool about 0.025" -- a bit more than 0.5 mm is required.

[/I]

britishtrident

posted on 17/4/07 at 07:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
I (rather optimistically) bought a cheapo one like that and then hoped it would flare the bundy tube for my wiper box setup..... Didn't do a thing....
Might do plain copper though.....

Putting a flare on steel bundy wiper tube is a big ask for a cheap tool.

[/I]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.