Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Single seater?
liftarn

posted on 16/4/07 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
Single seater?

A new idea have entered my mind. Perhaps I should make a single seater instead... It makes the gear linkage a bit easier since I can run it along the side and the bodywork may (with the possible exception of the nose and/or rear) be made using single curved alu sheets.

I don't think I'll put the engine in the front like on this SAAB Formula Junior, but something like the SAAB Quantum IV perhaps:

SAAB Quantum
SAAB Quantum

The barber SAAB Pro Series used a Formula Ford 2000 chassis with the engine and gearbox from the classic SAAB 900.
I would ofcourse have to add lights, wings and such things to get it road legal, but it may work.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
StevieB

posted on 16/4/07 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
Sort of like a locost ERA?

Siounds like a pretty cool idea - but would you not just consider the MK single seater instead?

violentblue

posted on 16/4/07 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
I've always wanted to do a formula Jr. replica

Maybe down the road.
i thought a small displacement 16v engine on carbs mated to an audi box would be perfect, I'd want to do the body in riveted aluminum similar to aircarft skin, just for the look.

Also was considering a "belly tank" saltflats racer. that would be fun.

a few pics of my other projects

liftarn

posted on 17/4/07 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by StevieB
Siounds like a pretty cool idea - but would you not just consider the MK single seater instead?

The Mk Sprint R? Well, I have a list of requirements:
* must use the classic SAAB 900 engine and gearbox
* the bodywork should be possible to make yourself, i.e. no complex curves and/or a lot of fibreglass work
* road legal
* preferably in a classic design

The number of seats is less of an issue. 2+2, two seat or single seater all have their various pros and cons.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
liftarn

posted on 17/4/07 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
The Quantum IV was originally made for Formula S (that never got off the ground), but the ads said it was "low cost":

liftarn

posted on 21/4/07 at 02:12 PM Reply With Quote
Single seater
Single seater

A quick sketch. I obviously need a much lower seat and change the angle of the steering column. I hope there is room for your legs there. It looks like a snap off steering wheel is needed to be able to get in and out.

Perhaps the body could be widened to fit two persons? This Ronart W152 ofcourse has the engine in the front, but something simmilar with shorter front and a bit longer rear...

[Edited on 21/4/07 by liftarn]

akumabito

posted on 21/4/07 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
Slightly offtopic, but Ronarts are absolutely awesome looking machines! High up there on my favorite-kits-of-all-times list. Too bad they cost an arm and a leg (and then some!)
MikeR

posted on 21/4/07 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
first time i've seen them and they look fantastic. any links to who makes the kits?
akumabito

posted on 21/4/07 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.ronart.co.uk

The GRP kit (chassis and body) comes in at around 11,000 quid. Factory built vehicles start at 29,000 quid.

They also offer a completely hand-made aluminium version of that bodywork! I'm too scared to e-mail 'm about the price for that..

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.