Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Small brakes issue
Pdlewis

posted on 23/4/07 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
Small brakes issue

Hello,

Ive been reconnecting my brakes over the weekend/tonight and have a small issue with them.

I have connected all the pipes and blead all 4 corners serveral times, the fuid is now comming out without even the smallest bubble but the peddle will push to the floor on first push, give it a couple of pumps and it would go hard as you would expect leave it a couple of of seconds and it goes soft again!!!

Any ideas? been scratching my head 4 a couple of days with no joy now!

Thanks in advance

paul

UncleFista

posted on 23/4/07 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
How old is the M/C and has it been stood a while with no fluid in it ?

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

SeaBass

posted on 23/4/07 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
Still air in the system. I would suspect a high spot in the system somewhere. How are you bleeding. I've used an eezy bleed before with a reasonably high pressure and therefore volume of fluid with good effect.

Thanks

Pdlewis

posted on 23/4/07 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
Its been stood all winter but has had fluid in nearly all the time.

As for bleeding i have just been using a bottle with a one way valve on the end (off the shelf halfraud jobbie)

zxrlocost

posted on 23/4/07 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
either your MC is nacked or you have a connection not as tight as it should be

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

miegru

posted on 23/4/07 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like a MC problem to me. Had a similar problem some years ago and it was the MC.
TGR-ECOSSE

posted on 23/4/07 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
Does your car have the rear brake compensator thingy as i have heard they can be a problem when bleading brakes.

Ian D

posted on 23/4/07 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
Put the pedal under compression and leave for a couple of days. The Air will be forced out of the system.
RazMan

posted on 23/4/07 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
Are you using Sierra calipers upside down on the rear? If so you need to whip them off while bleeding.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mark Allanson

posted on 23/4/07 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
Common problem, get an assistant to pump up the system and hold the pressure (as much as they can give!). Open the nipple furthest away from the M/C for a split second, repressurise and repeat, work around the car with the same technique, never known it to fail unless there is a fault in the system.

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Pdlewis

posted on 23/4/07 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
cheers Guys

Got drums on the back still so they shouldnt be causing any problems

blue2cv

posted on 23/4/07 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
Check your rear brake adjustment and make sure the pistons in the rear cylinders are not going back on their own, we found this on some 2cvs just by chance, kept us amused for some time till we spotted it
daviep

posted on 23/4/07 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
Is the handbrake properly adjusted? It is possible for the shoes to retract far enough that it takes a couple of pumps to push them back out to the drums, and then when you take your foot off the pedal the return springs push all the fluid back into the reservoir.

Just a thought

mark chandler

posted on 23/4/07 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
Does it still happen if you leave the handbrake on ? if so then the adjusters on the rear drums need adjusting out because the rear shoes are closing in.

Regards Mark

gottabedone

posted on 24/4/07 at 07:55 AM Reply With Quote
bleeding

Hi, I use an eeze bleed connected to the wheeh cylinders and bleed back to the M/C. You need to keep an eye on your levels though as it soon fills up. This was most successful on my Alfa which had a floating piston M/C which had bottomed out and caused the same problem that you have.

regards

Steve

Peteff

posted on 24/4/07 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
Put the pedal under compression and leave for a couple of days. The Air will be forced out of the system.

No, the air will be forced into the fluid to reappear when the brakes get hot. It does work to firm up the pedal though.

Hi, I use an eeze bleed connected to the wheel cylinders and bleed back to the M/C.

How does this work? I have heard of devices that suck through from the wheel end but nothing that pushes fluid back to the master cylinder. Does someone have to hold the pedal down while you perform the operation?

[Edited on 24/4/07 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Pdlewis

posted on 27/4/07 at 08:01 AM Reply With Quote
After much dicking about i think it is the uion between the braided hoses at the front and the copper pipe as the back brake bite and skid and the fronts have started to bite a bit.

I think if i replace the copper going from the MC to the union all will be ok.

Just need to get some pipe and a means of fairing it now :-)

t.j.

posted on 27/4/07 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
You could try to bleed them from the wheelcilinders by pushing the brakefluid from there.

Take a small oil-can fill it up, mount a small hose which fits on the nipple and can, pump the fluid into the wheelcilinder. the air will come out on the MC.

If you have done the four corners, bleed ones normal.
Let someone push the brake-pedal then unscrew the nipple which is connected to a small hose hanging in brake-fluid. The pedal will drop. close nipple, push pedal, unscrew...etc

[Edited on 27/4/07 by t.j.]

Pdlewis

posted on 27/4/07 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
Ill give that a go Ive been trying to work out somthing like that

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.