Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Mosquito & Triads
FUORISERIE

posted on 27/4/07 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
Mosquito & Triads

What do you guys think of the Mosquito and the Triad ? I wonder if a restyling ,could make it an interesting proposition in the 3wheeler kit market.....
check this new website:

http://www.mosquito-triad.com/home.html

Volvorsport

posted on 27/4/07 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
below a certain weight and sva doesnt apply , tho i will have to check that statement is still true .

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

Humbug

posted on 27/4/07 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
Fugly, IMHO... they would need a major restyling to be acceptable
Chippy

posted on 27/4/07 at 10:57 PM Reply With Quote
Arent they just a mini in a three piece suit,
bloody ugle though, designed in a bad dream. Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

Memphis Twin

posted on 28/4/07 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
Bravo for wanting to try something different! Go for it.

There are those who think that a Lotus 7 type of car is ugly, particularly a "book" Locost, so I wouldn't bother too much about comments on this forum. The Triad would be a very capable little sportscar and a lot of fun, and different from the 20,000 other "7"s out there.

I'd rather be a Lion than a Sheep....

And to the other contributors to this thread; thankyou for your full and constructive, non-blinkered, non-biased replies....

FUORISERIE

posted on 28/4/07 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Memphis Twin
Bravo for wanting to try something different! Go for it.

There are those who think that a Lotus 7 type of car is ugly, particularly a "book" Locost, so I wouldn't bother too much about comments on this forum. The Triad would be a very capable little sportscar and a lot of fun, and different from the 20,000 other "7"s out there.

I'd rather be a Lion than a Sheep....

And to the other contributors to this thread; thankyou for your full and constructive, non-blinkered, non-biased replies....

Thanks and I totally agree with you, on trying different things...

FUORISERIE

posted on 28/4/07 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
a very rough sketch idea of what i was thinking.
Bigger 14-15 in. minilites and a few other goodies..., polycarbonate windscreen for now..

This is an overlay sketch of the image you see, so the proportions are the same.

What do you guys think of it?

FUORISERIE

posted on 28/4/07 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
two more 5min. rough doodles...

[Edited on 28/4/07 by FUORISERIE]

FUORISERIE

posted on 28/4/07 at 02:12 PM Reply With Quote
last doodle.....

Memphis Twin

posted on 28/4/07 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
That looks excellent! ... and of course the mini engine is very tuneable, so with only 350kg to pull along, it should be a very fast little car.
FUORISERIE

posted on 29/4/07 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
That looks excellent! ... and of course the mini engine is very tuneable, so with only 350kg to pull along, it should be a very fast little car.

Thanks.., will do a few more rough sketches, and see what happens with this idea......

A friend has pointed out, the more modern Metro k-series engine for such a project, being a very light and revvy engine. What do you guys think?

I like the idea of a simple bolt on engine to a chassis set-up, and if you don't like 3wheelers you can turn it into a 4wheeler........

iank

posted on 29/4/07 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FUORISERIE
quote:

Thanks.., will do a few more rough sketches, and see what happens with this idea......

A friend has pointed out, the more modern Metro k-series engine for such a project, being a very light and revvy engine. What do you guys think?

I like the idea of a simple bolt on engine to a chassis set-up, and if you don't like 3wheelers you can turn it into a 4wheeler........

Once again a very nice set of drawings.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Memphis Twin

posted on 29/4/07 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
But will the Metro K series fit the Mini front subframe, which (I believe) is an integral part of the Triad?

A good 1400 A Series with ported, big-valve head, scatter cam, running on twin flat-slide carburettors will be the perfect engine. Mechanically simple with loads of power.

FUORISERIE

posted on 29/4/07 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
Once again a very nice set of drawings.

Thanks, just trying to find a few ideas, and have fun.....

[Edited on 29/4/07 by FUORISERIE]

FUORISERIE

posted on 29/4/07 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
But will the Metro K series fit the Mini front subframe, which (I believe) is an integral part of the Triad?

A good 1400 A Series with ported, big-valve head, scatter cam, running on twin flat-slide carburettors will be the perfect engine. Mechanically simple with loads of power.

I honestly have no idea.....I found this great website where you can see the buildup of the Onyx firefox, with a K-series engine.

By looking at the pictures , I think the engine does have something of a subframe, but I'm not that sure.
Maybe you guys can confirm it to me.....

I think this chassis set-up could lend itself, to a similar 3 and 4 wheeler design.....

check this site:
http://www.davebence.co.uk/onyx_firefox/build_4.htm

iank

posted on 29/4/07 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
Metro and mini have very similar, but not identical subframes. Metro one is a little bigger, but can be made to fit a mini with some work.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

CGILL

posted on 30/4/07 at 05:33 AM Reply With Quote
Might have fun getting the hydrogas to work with 3 wheels from a metro .

Don't forget that honda vtecs have been grafted into minis many times

would prefer a wider track than a mini for a 3 wheeler personally.

FUORISERIE

posted on 30/4/07 at 08:00 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CGILL
Might have fun getting the hydrogas to work with 3 wheels from a metro .

Don't forget that honda vtecs have been grafted into minis many times

would prefer a wider track than a mini for a 3 wheeler personally.

I liked the idea of a very cheap donor vehicle, and the mini did fit the bill, but I guess you could use any modern fwd engine setup.

The Metro or Mini seems like a very inexpensive solution, and i have no experience concerning the hydrogas units.

I also think that other modern engines could be considered for this type of 3wheeler, but I wanted it to be inexpensive to build and run....or that is the idea of this sketch.....

Memphis Twin

posted on 30/4/07 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
Why try to complicate things? The Triad chassis is designed for a Mini front subframe, so the ideal engine/transmission would have to be a ....Mini!
iank

posted on 30/4/07 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
have you seen the price of mini's these days? for what you (well I) got it's a complete rip off. Rusting piles of junk with knackered parts are £200-300+

Metro's are much cheaper and are all in better condition, but also getting less common.

As for why (an honest) 100bhp costs several thousand pounds from an A series and the gearbox isn't really up to it. 100bhp is out of the box for a twincam 1.4 K series and you get a strong(ish) 5 speed box, with the 1800VVC K series a drop in upgrade! It's also a lot lighter.

I'd go for coil overs rather than rubber springs/hydro if the shock mounts are up to it.

--
Anonymous

FUORISERIE

posted on 30/4/07 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
I guess that, the Triad could accept the Metro subframe ?.....what other modern engine could fit the design brief as the old mini did?, any ideas?

FUORISERIE

posted on 30/4/07 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
looking at some of the pictures in more detail, I did notice a pronounced front overhang!, I wonder if it's the design of the front bonnet..., or the k-series engine slant ?

Does this make the 4wheeler option, with k-series engine a better design? what do you all think?

It does look like a fun inexpensive runabout.., but the design could use some help...

[Edited on 30/4/07 by FUORISERIE]

FUORISERIE

posted on 3/5/07 at 07:45 AM Reply With Quote
Any thoughts an the chassis or engine setup?

Thanks for your feedback...

CGILL

posted on 4/5/07 at 03:50 AM Reply With Quote
After putting in the effort of building a spaceframe up, I can't see the point on bolting the ugly subframe to it, when it would be tidier mounting up the arms and rack to a piece of spaceframe, and wouldn't be a huge amount of extra work in the big picture.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.