Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Anti-Dive Geometry
drlloyd

posted on 11/5/07 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
Anti-Dive Geometry

I am currently working out the suspension geometry for my kit-car and am wondering if anybody else is using anti-dive geometry? If so, how much are you using? I was thinking of angling the bottom wishbone by approx. 3 degrees towards the centre of gravity.
Ivan

posted on 11/5/07 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
Have a look here -

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=65564

there are several other anti-dive threads as well.

kb58

posted on 11/5/07 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
Weird, when I looked at this thread title, I saw, "Anti-gravity geometry."

Carroll Smith notes that it doesn't work well because it binds up the suspension joints.

Mid-engine Locost - http://www.midlana.com
And the book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/midlana/paperback/product-21330662.html
Kimini - a tube-frame, carbon shell, Honda Prelude VTEC mid-engine Mini: http://www.kimini.com
And its book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/kimini-how-to-design-and-build-a-mid-engine-sports-car-from-scratch/paperback/product-4858803.html

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
britishtrident

posted on 11/5/07 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by drlloyd
I am currently working out the suspension geometry for my kit-car and am wondering if anybody else is using anti-dive geometry? If so, how much are you using? I was thinking of angling the bottom wishbone by approx. 3 degrees towards the centre of gravity.

The alternative of tilting both upper and lower wishbones at the same angle is considered a safer bet, because it has less undesirable effects on the steering geometry.

But with anti-dive a little goes a long way

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

davew823

posted on 11/5/07 at 04:22 PM Reply With Quote
anti-dive

3 degree of anti-dive will probably be way to much. Even heavy America front engine cars normaly do not have that much. I would shot for no more then one and half degrees. A locost has a much lower C. G. then most cars. DaveW
drlloyd

posted on 14/5/07 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the advice, I have a number of books by Staniforth, Herb Adams, etc that cover anti-dive geometry but there is no indication of how much is really required. I think I will probably limit it to inclining the bottom wishbone up by 1.5 degrees.
britishtrident

posted on 14/5/07 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
What you have to watch is that with that arrangement the bottom wishbone ball joint moves forward with suspension movement, which rotates the upright and has all sort of unwanted effects on bump steer, roll steer, caster angle............
drlloyd

posted on 15/5/07 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
I am aware of that but approx. 3" of suspension travel would equate to only 2mm of forward wishbone movement with a wishbone inclination of 1.5 degrees.
I would not expect to regularly get this amount of travel in my kitcar and I expect that the rubber bushes at the chassis end of the wishbone would allow the wishbone to move forwards by at least 1mm anyway.

Doug68

posted on 19/5/07 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
I've not been able to find any definitive data at all on what effect this has on stopping distance s for one.

The other thing is that there are all sorts of other transient conditions the vehicle goes through such as braking whilst changing direction, where the effects of this type of geometry are going to be hard to predict in advance.

Unless anyone can come up with test data such as stopping distance figures or lap times that prove there's an improvement then I'd steer clear (get it?) of the whole subject.

Its also interesting to note that in the 1980's anti dive was seen as a big issue for motorcycles, after a lot of effort by a lot of companies the idea has basically been abandoned now as a dead end in development. Bikes now just concentrate on having structurally sound properly valved suspension, and I think there's a lesson in that.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.