Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Dampers & springs
Simon W

posted on 17/5/07 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
Dampers & springs

I know most racers will be a little private when it comes to what springs they use etc.. but would anyone be willing to give us newbies who are building a car a clue as to a good starting point. I dont want to initially have to buy multiple sets

Dampers that I think I will go with (unless anyone says otherwise) are:

AVO Pro Race Twin Tube Coilovers

PA 120/085 12" (front)
PA 130/090 13" (back)

Thanks

TimC

posted on 17/5/07 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
I don't know for sure, but AVO's reputation around Locosts is not what it once was.

If you want to do it right, speak to Matt @ Procomp and buy a properly matched set of Protecs. They have a damper dyno that ensures that all is as it should be. As a customer, he'll probably help you out on spring rates too.

procomp

posted on 17/5/07 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers TimC. Simon u2u sent.

Cheers matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Peteff

posted on 17/5/07 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
Do they allow aluminium shocks in the race series?

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

procomp

posted on 17/5/07 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
Hi no they dont for locost championship it is steel only.

cheers matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mark.s

posted on 17/5/07 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
why dont they allow ali shocks?

procomp

posted on 17/5/07 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
Hi the reasoning is that they are generaly thought of as being more expencive.

I know that most know we can buy protecs and gaz alloy ones for the same price as steel units. But look at what has happend it kits. The first year they are allowed alloy dampers and the front half of the grid are spending 4k on penskie and ohlins ect.

For the locost championship it is best left with all steel so it keeps the locost theme. Although you can still go and use koni's or leda's ( back up and running by the way).

cheers matt

mawmaw

posted on 25/5/07 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
racing

~~
mawmaw

posted on 25/5/07 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
dampers

matt that is not really true, none of the top six at brands in kits had spent big money on shockers at the w/e (apart from deep pockets goodyear and his slowmobile), the main thing with steel shockers are they are getting difficult to source
procomp

posted on 29/5/07 at 07:59 AM Reply With Quote
HI mark but 4 of the top 5 in quali had dampers costing a damd sight more than your std gaz - avo - protec's.

And i know your responce will be but what was the pole man running.

But in the locost championship it needs the cost to be held down. Or at least try to keep it held down.

cheers matt

Ps anything you need me to rewire as you go out at mallory. Or shall i just bring some wire cutters and do a proper job this time.

mawmaw

posted on 29/5/07 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
wiring

no idea how i got through scrutineering, i had wired the new ecu straight to the ignition switch rather than the cut out, would explain why it carried on running when the cut out was turned off. fixed it now and getting an mot on thursday, means the lights will work for 1 day this year!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.