Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cool air
piddy

posted on 24/5/07 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
Cool air

I've recently fitted different ram pipes and a Pipercross filter to my car. I know that cool air is an advantage but would boring some holes in the bonnet at the side of the filter make much differents?

I'm thinking like this. Rescued attachment 1161541419-velocity2.jpg
Rescued attachment 1161541419-velocity2.jpg

blakep82

posted on 24/5/07 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
i wouldn't have thought so. it would take some cool air, but if you can a way to actually channel some air in and create some high air pressure around the intake, that would make a nice difference

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

flak monkey

posted on 24/5/07 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
Short of having the filters outside the bonnet, then you wont get a lot of gain, but you will get some if the filters are tight on the bonnet. I think they say you need a good 50-60mm beyond the end of the trumpets with no obstructions for the best flow.

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

snapper

posted on 24/5/07 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
Cold air is a Huge advantage and you have a few ways of gaining free BHP, or at least realise more potential BHP.
I have noticable gains from just running a big tube from the front to the air filter, scoops forcing cool air to the filter is also a plus, the best system, and i know its expensive unless you fabricate it yourself, is to use the piper airbox and a large diameter tube to the front of the grill.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

flak monkey

posted on 24/5/07 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
Having just looked in your archive, you definately want something to let those trumpets get some air.

You will get a big gain if you do away with those gauzes on the trumpets as well - i know a few engine tuners who'd have a fit . They are without a doubt THE quickest way to loose power as they disrupt the air flow enormously. Fit some proper filters.

This is what i did, and is ok if you can live with foam filters sticking out of the side of the bonnet:

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

Dusty

posted on 24/5/07 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
I made up an air box in ally sheet, trumpets inside, 100mm tube and filter in the nose cone which may give some ram effect. Rescued attachment filterairbox.jpg
Rescued attachment filterairbox.jpg

rjs

posted on 24/5/07 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
I’ve done mine like this; yes I know they need straightening and I want to pull them out more away from the trumpets
rjs

posted on 24/5/07 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
well that didnt work
piddy

posted on 25/5/07 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
Hello All.
Thanks for the advice.
I've done away with those hugh ram pipes and fitted these. Rescued attachment New ram 1.jpg
Rescued attachment New ram 1.jpg

piddy

posted on 25/5/07 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
And this.
As you can see it all fits under the bonnet and has the correct space between the trumpet mouths and inside of the filter(25mm). I must say it's made a big improvement. I just thought it might be good to get more cool air to it before doing a final tuning session.

[Edited on 25/5/07 by piddy] Rescued attachment New ram 6.jpg
Rescued attachment New ram 6.jpg

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.