Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Man killed in welding van blast
mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 26/5/07 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
Man killed in welding van blast

Man killed in welding van blast

Debris was scattered across the town's market square
A man is thought to have died when a van carrying welding equipment exploded in a County Durham market town.

Windows in shops and homes were left shattered and wreckage was strewn across the town centre of Wolsingham, near Bishop Auckland, in County Durham.

Houses near the scene were evacuated after the blast, which happened at 0700 BST on Saturday.

The explosion happened after the driver stopped the van, which was carrying oxy-acetylene cylinders, near shops.

BBC Radio Cleveland's Matthew Barraclough, who is at the scene, said: "There was a very large explosion indeed. It woke up pretty much everyone in the town at the same time.

"People who live in the market square and the homes surrounding that have been evacuated. One woman I spoke to said she was not going to be allowed back into her house for 24 hours.

"We don't know if any buildings have been damaged structurally but that's one of the factors the emergency services are taking into consideration."

No-one else is thought to have been hurt in the explosion, on the A689.

[Edited on 26-5-07 by mangogrooveworkshop]

[Edited on 26-5-07 by mangogrooveworkshop]

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 26/5/07 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
they dont half make a mess when they go bang

now we can see why the fire brigade cool them for twenty four hours before inspection

JoelP

posted on 26/5/07 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
major coincidence, i was trying to drive through that village this morning at about 0830, some major sodding diversions. Wondered what had happened. Unlucky bugger
Mark Allanson

posted on 26/5/07 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
Probably never knew a thing about it, sympathies to his famiyl

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

David Jenkins

posted on 26/5/07 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
That reminded me of why I was reluctant to have oxy-acetylene gear in my garage...

rusty nuts

posted on 26/5/07 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
Garage a half mile from me had a fire a few years ago, saw the remains of one of the gas bottles . Think half mile was just about a safe distance
t.j.

posted on 26/5/07 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote

What happened that they exploded?

Around here you need a presure test every 10 years.

Must have leaked or what?

iank

posted on 26/5/07 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by t.j.

What happened that they exploded?

Around here you need a presure test every 10 years.

Must have leaked or what?

An acetylene leak would have done it - nasty stuff, also don't acetylene tanks get a bit moody if they fall/are carried on their side?

About the only good thing is it would have been quick.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Chippy

posted on 26/5/07 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
I think that the most usual reason is that of not having an anti blow back devise fitted. You can then get the gas on fire within the cylinder, and Oh boy do they go then. My mum worked for BOC, (many many years ago), and they had one go up, and parts of the cylinder were recovered from the railway, which was a little over a quarter mile away. Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

sarahjane

posted on 26/5/07 at 10:40 PM Reply With Quote
I work with these cylinders every day,it takes something like this to remind you of the dangers of working with gas cylinders and the need for safe working standards,sorry to hear about this,again, sympathies to his family/friends.Ray.
tankerman24

posted on 27/5/07 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
An acetylene leak would have done it - nasty stuff, also don't acetylene tanks get a bit moody if they fall/are carried on their side?

About the only good thing is it would have been quick.

If Acetylene cylinders fall over or have been on their side they are not supposed to be used for at least eight hours. I drive for BOC and deliver these cylinders every day and seeing these pics definately makes you think. Feel sorry for the guys family

David Jenkins

posted on 27/5/07 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
A similar incident nearly happened today, in East Anglia (can't find a reference on the web - it was on the local news). A van caught fire - unfortunately there was an oxy-acetylene set in the back. Police evacuated a large area, and the fire brigade set a 'stand-alone' unmanned fire hose spraying though the back doors. Neighbours weren't allowed back for 8 hours or so...

rusty nuts

posted on 27/5/07 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
Was that the one on the A14 near Newmarket a few months ago? caused absolute mayhem
oadamo

posted on 27/5/07 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
a guy at work was cutting a tube that must of filled with gas. the bang of it oh my god i shite myself. my ears was ringing for hours after. its only the people that use it that make it dangerous
adam

David Jenkins

posted on 28/5/07 at 08:08 AM Reply With Quote
Found the link for the latest incident...

BBC

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.