Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: The dreaded Indy rear panel!
StevieB

posted on 27/5/07 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
The dreaded Indy rear panel!

I'm getting to the stage where I'm going to have to tackle the rear panel very soon - I've spent most of the day making a bit of an a**e of the side panels/scuttle fitting and rescuing the situation and am feeling a little ominous about the rear panel!

Can anyone who's done it give me a few pointers as to how they solved the puzzle and got a nice finish?

Seen Hellfire's - all very nice, but I'm just not that good at making things!

Cheers

Steve

zxrlocost

posted on 27/5/07 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
couple of 12 inch plastic rulers running down each side beam spreads it out another few mm

ie the rulers are acting as spacers

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

StevieB

posted on 27/5/07 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
Christ, I forgot about the oversized issue - I was thinking more along the lines of getting a neat transition from the side panel to the rear panel!

I'm also having a bit of a mare trying to get the bonnet and nose to line up nicely - I'm putting it down to the fact the bodywork's been sat around for 12 months and has relaxed a bit where it's been stored and just needs a little pushiong and pulling into it's rightful place on the car.

zxrlocost

posted on 27/5/07 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
the scuttle needs a little pushing "out"

put the nose cone in the middle on the car youll have to remove some of it where the two bottom wishbone mounts are

then rest the bonnet in place

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

ReMan

posted on 27/5/07 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
Flare out the ends of the side panel to meet the width of the panel.
Spend the time with clamps to get the vertical joint right.
"Adjust" the chassis lugs to hold the side panel wide. choosed your joint heigt and stick to it, ie top of round level with top of sqare section.
Cover the whole sorry lot up afterwards Rescued attachment boot.jpg
Rescued attachment boot.jpg

StevieB

posted on 28/5/07 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
Where did you get the rear boot cover? And is it a full tonnau by any chance?

Looks like you have the full RAC race bar rather than the bolt on type? I was wondering how much of a pain in the a**e it was going to be to cover the boot and get a nice seam around the brace bars - the boot cover looks a much neater solution than trying to get a good join in pieces of ali or ABS!

[Edited on 28/5/07 by StevieB]

ReMan

posted on 28/5/07 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by StevieB
Where did you get the rear boot cover? And is it a full tonnau by any chance?

Looks like you have the full RAC race bar rather than the bolt on type? I was wondering how much of a pain in the a**e it was going to be to cover the boot and get a nice seam around the brace bars - the boot cover looks a much neater solution than trying to get a good join in pieces of ali or ABS!

[Edited on 28/5/07 by StevieB]

Just had it made locally by a trimmer, was part of my plan to cover a multitude of sins, not least the joint but also the difficulty in making a useable cover caused by the roll bar rear bracing as you point out (convinced myself that if I needed a rollbar at all, it should be a good one . It's boot cover only.

StevieB

posted on 28/5/07 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
So, the general consesus is to frig it until it fits, then cover it up and forget it exists.

That's my level of thinking!

ReMan

posted on 28/5/07 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
So, the general consesus is to frig it until it fits, then cover it up and forget it exists.

That's my level of thinking!

I was actually quite pleased with my joint and unless you point it out nobody will notice
IMO the better you make the bare joint the better, rather than bringing more attention to it with cover plates (exception Hellfire) and rubber trim. My choice for a boot coverobviosly had the welcome side effect of covering it completely

StevieB

posted on 28/5/07 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
I have to say that the vinyl boot cover sounds a lot better than the ABS/Ali sheet solution because it hides the joint and might also allot me to have some form of useable boot space (even with the proper roll bar).
mackei23b

posted on 31/5/07 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
Here is a pic of mine at:

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=64660

Cheers

Ian

quote:
I'm getting to the stage where I'm going to have to tackle the rear panel very soon - I've spent most of the day making a bit of an a**e of the side panels/scuttle fitting and rescuing the situation and am feeling a little ominous about the rear panel!

Can anyone who's done it give me a few pointers as to how they solved the puzzle and got a nice finish?

Seen Hellfire's - all very nice, but I'm just not that good at making things!

Cheers

Steve

flak monkey

posted on 31/5/07 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
Did someone say something about dodgy panels

The way to do it is how zxrlocost says, pack it out to match it all up as close as possible. I am really suprised MK havent sorted this problem out yet....

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

StevieB

posted on 31/5/07 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey
I am really suprised MK havent sorted this problem out yet....

I'm not!

Liking the new avatar by the way - the last one was starting to worry me a bit, that girl needs more pies!

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 31/5/07 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey
Did someone say something about dodgy panels

The way to do it is how zxrlocost says, pack it out to match it all up as close as possible. I am really suprised MK havent sorted this problem out yet....

We sorted it out

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?action=attachment&tid=64257&pid=537590

[Edited on 31-5-07 by mangogrooveworkshop]

[Edited on 31-5-07 by mangogrooveworkshop]

gttman

posted on 1/6/07 at 06:12 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Liking the new avatar by the way - the last one was starting to worry me a bit, that girl needs more pies!

So Flat is that the current girlfriend?

[Edited on 1/6/07 by gttman]

Andygtt

Please redefine your limits

flak monkey

posted on 1/6/07 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gttman
quote:

So Flat is that the current girlfriend?

Susan Wayland, german glamour/fetish model. Her websites not worksafe though. Google her and you'll find out all you want to know

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.